Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Rd 7 2022 Carlton vs Frankston at Frankston (Read 3204 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Rd 7 2022 Carlton vs Frankston at Frankston

Reply #45
No Marchbank in the final qtr and undisciplined play from Willo were pivotal in that loss. But all credit to Franger in the final, they gave their all and were rewarded in an historic come back.

In that final qtr only Radanovic, Markov, Fogarty and Motlop can hold their heads up. Crocker cracked in hard with limited opportunities.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #46
How did we lose that?

Anyway lads played well for 3/4 ers. Marchy welcome back. Did some nice things keep it up we need you.

Fogarty, Dow, Mirkov, Radovanovic, Trudgeon played well. But then thought they were millionaires at 3/4 time

Reply #47
Setterfield, Philp, Kemp, Akui, Williamson not great and havent shown much this year.

Motlop just looked hungry to lay tackles wish the other did too

Reply #48
Last I read somewhere was he was two weeks away, that would probably be after the VFL bye so for us Rnd 9 on the 22nd of May.

If Honey did play this week I suspect it would be on reduced minutes which to me doesn't really count as playing, it's just an intense match day fitness test.

Thanks LP

Reply #49
Well, I've watched tonight and found clear reasons why Dow isn't getting a game, as much as he collects possessions close in around the stoppage after that he is effectively out of play. Our mids were pretty much run all over by Frankston after 1/2-time, we had a dominant tap ruck and Dow, Fogarty and a host of others were unable to get hands on the ball, and often it's their direct opponents getting 2 or 3 touches in the chain of play as they run off being watched by Dow or Fogarty. Very ordinary.

Motlop is a long way off, hasn't the pace of his relatives, and has nowhere near the physicality yet needed to be AFL level. I'd call him a project player at best and it's 50/50 which way that will head. He's learning some bad habits off Dow and Fogarty types, he is only a kid but he needs to find intensity.

Mirkov was unable to turn his clear height dominance in the 2nd half into an advantage, pretty predictable in the ruck, not much in the way of 2nd efforts, he often won the tap and stood and watched which was especially poor when Frankston ran a small player against him. It was an opportunity to use his size and reach to advantage and he couldn't or wouldn't do it. I did not see him even attempt a single shepherd or block for Dow, Philp or Fogarty after 1/2-time.

Not sure why we left Hayes rotting in the F50 after 3/4-time, didn't seem injured and would have offered more than Dow or FOgarty around the footy. I have to assume we were playing to AFL orders and leaving Dow, Fogarty, Motlop and Philp in the midfield.

Looks like Marchbank and Setterfield were both pulled out early, not sure what that means for tomorrow. I presume Marchbank was managed, but really he looked to be doing it easy so I have no idea how that can be beneficial to his return.

Like our AFL side, we have a surprising lack of pace, we get away with it when our hands are clean, but once it rained and things become greasy we were shown up big time by most of the opposition.

Kemp is not a defender, we are dead-set wasting his and our time by playing this guy out of D50. Having Marchbank who is clearly a running HBF besides Kemp for the first 3/4 just highlighted that Kemp is not a defender even more, in 1/2 of footy Marchbank went past him at light-speed as an AFL D50 option!

Akuei is a way off, nice agility, good vision but very average skills even by VFL level let alone AFL level. Won some nice contests but then showed zero match awareness.

Over the 4-Qtrs, Radavanovic, Cincotta and Hayes were probably our best, with Marchbank closest of the AFL listed.

Coaches won't like today's loss, and it's not about the last quarter even though that hurts, we dominated earlier in the game but always looked to be coasting, going at 80%, we probably should have been 16 goals up not 8 if we had played with some intensity early. That is the biggest gripe I have with Dow and Fogarty, they are not newbies, they needed to lift and just didn't or can't and to me that is a hell of a tell! Getting a touch and a hand off then watching isn't AFL football.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #50
Very very ugly stuff. 

Reply #51
Bit harsh, Spotted One, with some of your criticisms.

Kemp, for whatever reason, has seemed down on form all year whether playing forward or back... though IMHO he's looked a bit better down back.

Losing Marchbank (a General down back) left a big hole in defense in the final quarter. And with Franger bringing desperate effort in the last our mids, at grass level, failed to adapt and adjust, allowing easy inside 50 entries which a depleted defense (no Marchbank, out of form Kemp) was overwhelmed by. Radavanovic was something of a lone hand down there in the last.

Bit harsh on Mirkov. He's in his first season as the number 1 ruckman and still learning the caper and coming along nicely. Franger started roving to him and our mids just didn't adapt. Not sure criticism of Fogarty is justified, he never gave up and was probably our best... laying 12 tackles was testament to his defensive effort. But criticism of Dow is justified... when the heat was brought, he wilted and his defensive game vanished. His endeavour and work off the ball is still a concern. His inside work is really good, but not consistent and somewhat one-dimensional.

I agree that Hayes would have been a better option in the midfield in the last qtr, but maybe he's struggling due to something we don't know about... wasn't at his best last week either.

I don't think we were coasting in the first 3 quarters. We were on with quick ball movement and were hitting our targets and quite dominant - you don't go in at 3/4 time with an 8 goal lead just coasting. Franger, however, did help us in the first 3 quarters with some dreadful errors and turnovers.

The undisciplined stuff from Willo was just dumb, and he knew it. That 12 point turnaround in the last qtr was very costly... on the scoreboard and to team morale/discipline.

Of the non-Afl listed players, Radavanovic and Trudgeon were both good 4 qtr contributors.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #52
The undisciplined stuff from Willo was just dumb, and he knew it.
I didn't see it that way at all.

Firstly, my associates at the ground also expected the Willo incident was going to be awarded down field free kick to us, and they were shocked to see it reversed they couldn't understand where it came from!

As for JGM the Frankston players were sledging Motlop all night long, they basically targeted the kid as he is just a kid and a bit timid in the contest, the tackles he lays are ineffective as he basically sneaks up from behind and stretches a jumper staying at arms length to avoid physical contact. I think it was fair JGM stood up, the timing did not help, but if nobody stands up the team culture would be described as rotten by most fans.

When I wrote we were coasting, you could see we weren't going 100%, we played like we could go to another gear then didn't or couldn't, when the Dolphins turned up the heat we faded horribly. Millionaires to start, heartless to finish!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #53
I didn't see any of the match, but i've been cautioning everyone from writing off Marchbank for a while as people were forgetting how good he is.
Based on all the reports, people have been forced to remember ;)

Further to that, people are seeing that someone like Kemp (and others like him) are a fair way off AFL level by comparison.

Welcome back Marchy!

Reply #54
I didn't see any of the match, but i've been cautioning everyone from writing off Marchbank for a while as people were forgetting how good he is.

Further to that, people are seeing that someone like Kemp (and others like him) are a fair way off AFL level by comparison.

Welcome back Marchy!
People aren't writing Marchbank off because of his ability, they write him off because to date he has been a chandelier!

Kemp looks out of sorts because they are trying to turn him into a KPD of sorts, this kid made his name in a short pre-draft burst as a Cripps sized midfield option, prior to that he was at best having an average time as an oversized running flanker, and we appear to be turning him back into an average flanker. Let's hope it's a learning curve and not just another case of short sighted pigeonholing.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #55
I didn't see it that way at all.

Firstly, my associates at the ground also expected the Willo incident was going to be awarded down field free kick to us, and they were shocked to see it reversed they couldn't understand where it came from!

As for JGM the Frankston players were sledging Motlop all night long, they basically targeted the kid as he is just a kid and a bit timid in the contest, the tackles he lays are ineffective as he basically sneaks up from behind and stretches a jumper staying at arms length to avoid physical contact. I think it was fair JGM stood up, the timing did not help, but if nobody stands up the team culture would be described as rotten by most fans.

When I wrote we were coasting, you could see we weren't going 100%, we played like we could go to another gear then didn't or couldn't, when the Dolphins turned up the heat we faded horribly. Millionaires to start, heartless to finish!

JGM???

Reply #56

Welcome back Marchy!

One game in a row ...

Reply #58
JGM???
Jesse Glass-McCasker, shoved a Dolphins player who was sticking it to Motlop in the last qtr to give away a 50m penalty on top of a 50m penalty.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #59
I haven't seen the game yet, but I will tomorrow. I'll comment then.
Live Long and Prosper!