Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 6 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs St Kilda (Read 7202 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 6 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs St Kilda

Reply #90
We just got exposed for pace again, we can't drop any of our quicker players.
Everyone here is blaming our bottom players but it's our best players who are being outplayed. Yeah they win the stats battle but they fail to move the ball efficiently.
I agree with what you say about moving the ball efficiently but I dont see Fisher as that quick link player...I thought Cerra did that best for our players today and for Stkilda Lyon moved Sinclair into that role in the second half and he impacted on their ball  movement as did Brad Hill who didnt get as many possessions as some but I thought he was very effective and I didnt see Fisher in the same light as any of those players I mentioned.

Reply #91
We just got exposed for pace again, we can't drop any of our quicker players.
Everyone here is blaming our bottom players but it's our best players who are being outplayed. Yeah they win the stats battle but they fail to move the ball efficiently.
I dont think pace is the problem, when I strip it all back, the biggest problem is extremely poor disposal. Whether is its:
- General field kicking
- Kicks I50
- Goal kicking
I watch a lot of footy every week, I reckon we are one of the worst in comp for both deciding what to do with it and executing the disposal.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #92
There's no doubt we need other routes to goal. That needs to be built on a robust system. I recall a game in 22 where our wingers kicked 5 goals.
This year, our goalkicking has been poor. Goalless Crippa is a reflection of an underlying inadequacy.
Get Rocca back 😉
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #93
I watch a lot of footy every week, I reckon we are one of the worst in comp for both deciding what to do with it and executing the disposal.

Interesting listening to the Voss presser, there was general agreement in the coaches' box that the "deciding what to do with it" was sound. The coaches were of the opinion that the choice a player was making among the options available was OK. But the latter part of what you write (executing the disposal) was the main issue.

Reply #94
It all happens because we move the ball too slow because ultimately we are slow.

Obviously missing Saad doesn't help.

O'Brien  Cottrell and Owies cover a lot of ground and we're regulars last year. LP has been banging on about this for weeks and I agree with him.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #95
Saints are well coached. We knew that.

You need to move the ball fast, long and accurate to beat them. We didn't have Docherty and Saad today who are our best at that by a country mile. I'd like to come up against the saints later in the year with those 2 playing and see the difference. They were able to flood back chop off the space and force us to play the possession game. As soon as we stuffed one up, they swooped and scored.

That was the difference.

We had a shocker in front of goal. Easily 5 shots missed we'd kick most weeks. I think it was acres who chose not to toe poke one through from the goal square, instead letting it dribble past him....and the goals...in for a point.

But, its not all doom and gloom. We played poor, against the top side, and absolutely dominated them in the first half in every area except the scoreboard. Gives us something to work from, and we'll get better as a result.
I'd rather find out this now, than come finals time.

Reply #96
Not sure what others got excited by with Cincotta. First game, no dramas with him getting a game (i picked him as an IN) but i think he has a long way to go at AFL level. Made a few dumb decisions, got caught a few times including getting absolutely dumped in the middle, and showed he is not up to AFL level yet........which i don't expect him to be.

However, plenty saying they thought he was great.....i didn't see that. I saw a player playing his first game, and it showed. Plenty of room for improvement. For comparison, look at Hollands and Cowan. They put on a clinic in their first game by comparison.

Pick the lad again next week by all means....but lets not get too excited.

Reply #97
Toss says once Steele got the better of Crippa, and they spread, the rest followed.
Don't like the guy, but I can't argue with that. Smart coaching, and he's achieving it with blokes he's known for 5 minutes 🙄
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #98
Embarrassing skills. Hard to believe we've slipped so much in 12 months. We had the 6 leading possession getters on the ground....by a country mile....and it means nothing.
Not quite nothing. In the first half we dominated in the centre and should have been 5 or 6 goals up. We were the better team and, for the first time all year, our midfield worked the way it is supposed to. But they couldn't miss, and we missed far too often.
After half time, the 'Aints got the centre back to parity, while we were thrashed on the ground in defence. Our defenders weren't that bad, except that we got hurt playing Kennedy in defence. He isn't a defender, not matter what else he might be.

Lost count of how many times in the first 3 quarters we kicked it straight to an opponent coming out of the back 50. Yes, missing Saad and Docherty....but just unforgiveable. Saints were missing way more best 22 players than us but the ease with which they moved it from the back 50 to their forward line was laughable at time.
Our disposal into the forward line was appalling. The number of time we kicked directly to St. Kilda defenders ... I lost track of how many times it happened.
And then Jack misses from close range. St Kilda kicks the next 4 goals and we're toast.
Our disposal is not good enough to play the possession game: we need to take the game on. When we do, we're almost unbeatable. But we don't take the oppositions' best players out, which we need to. We don't get the game played on our terms, and that hurts us.

I need someone to tell me how Honey got a game this week after last week and after very ordinary VFL form? On the back of that today, he shouldn't be playing again any time soon.
Honey has to be dropped. I think he will be gone at the end of the season: he hasn't made any significant progress at all.
I was surprised when he got called up, but his form today was ... not satisfactory.
O'Brien has to go back: he hasn't offered much as sub. He plays wing or he plays VFL, my preferred option.
Our other small forwards are not offering much either, although Corey Durdin wasn't as negative as the other were.
Jesse Motlop needs to go back for a couple of weeks and find some form: he is just not handling the ball well at the moment. He needs to work on his fitness, and strength. he can't out-body me and I've only got one functional knee.

Do we have a goalkicking coach at the club? So many easy set shots missed in the first half when we had control of the game. Harry is one of the worst set shots for goal in the competition and was embarrassing today. His work up the ground taking contested marks can't be questioned, but his job is to kick goals and to miss some of those sitters today is coach killing stuff.
We badly need to get into H. he had 14 marks: that is enough to win the game by himself. But his scoring shots? He should have had 4 or 5 goals. He managed 1. 1[color-blue]4 marks[/color]!!!!!

Too many blokes tearing it up in the VFL for there not to be some changes next week. Ed Curnow might be just about cooked I think and Honey should go. Fisher got a bit of ball but for the most part was ineffective....another who could do with a VFL stint.
Not sure was was going on with Ed today. We really need a tagger, and had a job or three for Ed, but he got 5 possessions! I'd have played him on Sinclair, and cut the bu*ger out of play entirely.

Cincotta didn't look outta place so probably holds his spot.
Absolutely worth his place. Might be time for Cowan to go back for a couple of weeks. He isn't going badly, but he isn't getting a lot of ball.

We are a mile off it at the moment. We could've been sitting in top spot tonight but instead served that crap up.
We've gone backwards, to be honest. Other teams have attacked our strengths, while we haven't found any new ones. We don't take the play on, something that Collingwood does, to its massive benefit.
Pittonet was excellent today: he beat a guy that some people are claiming to be All-Australian. He gave our mids first use for the 1st half and then held his own thereafter. He was a big winner on the day.
Our mids were excellent, but our disposal into the forward line was simply not good enough.

Credit to Ross Lyon though. He's got the same list as Ratten, minus a heap of injuries...and they look like a top 8 team already. The same can't be said for us.
He's got them taking the game on, he has them playing to their strengths, instead of the their weaknesses. He will be found out, by better teams than us, ones that can actually use the football.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #99
Not sure what others got excited by with Cincotta. First game, no dramas with him getting a game (i picked him as an IN) but i think he has a long way to go at AFL level. Made a few dumb decisions, got caught a few times including getting absolutely dumped in the middle, and showed he is not up to AFL level yet........which i don't expect him to be.

However, plenty saying they thought he was great.....i didn't see that. I saw a player playing his first game, and it showed. Plenty of room for improvement. For comparison, look at Hollands and Cowan. They put on a clinic in their first game by comparison.

Pick the lad again next week by all means....but lets not get too excited.

Thought his skills were ok, he kicks both feet unlike the rest of the team and for the most part was composed.
He wont get a tougher test than the Saints playing the old Freo footy and having his more experienced teammates making dumb decisions because they cant move the ball forward. He was playing on some of the best small forwards in the game and it would have been a real step up in class and a new experience for him and I thought he went ok and deserves a game vs West Coast who dont have that same quality personnel.

Reply #100
Thought his skills were ok, he kicks both feet unlike the rest of the team and for the most part was composed.
He wont get a tougher test than the Saints playing the old Freo footy and his more experienced teammates making dumb decisions because they cant move the ball forward. playing on some of the best small forwards in the game would have bene a real step up in class and a new experience for him and I thought he went ok and deserves a game vs West Coast who dont have that same quality personnel.
Skills are ok, but we knew that. No good having good skills under no pressure though. You need them in the heat of the battle....and he is not there yet.

As i said, i'd pick him next week, against the Eagles is perfect. He is struggles with the pressure there, send him back to the 2's to remind him of how good he can be once he gets the tempo. Don't burn him out too soon.

Reply #101
Toss says once Steele got the better of Crippa, and they spread, the rest followed.
Don't like the guy, but I can't argue with that. Smart coaching, and he's achieving it with blokes he's known for 5 minutes 🙄
I don't think Steele ever got the better of Cripps, but he did negate some of his influence after half time. If Cripps could kick a goal, he'd have been BOG. But the 'Aints did manage to disrupt our midfield, and that hurt us badly.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #102
Thought Cerra was our best today.
Cerra was good, and his disposal was better than most.
Yes, we need a Rachele, but I'm not disappointed with Cerra.
At the moment Kennedy and Fisher are down, Fisher was great early, but disappeared from the game like he was shot.
Hewett got more of it this week, but he isn't back to his best.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #103
Firstly, I gave up watching after SOS's horrid miss, couldn't watch anymore and dont think I can be able watch for a while, I'm broken.
I have come to the realisation we haven't improved enough to make the 8 let alone be a contender, how can we have possibly improved when we still play guys don't have the basic Skills. Not naming names, you all know who they are.
Too much left to too few, too many passengers week in week out.
I thought we were meant to have dodged a bullet with Ross Lyon?
Nighty night.
Not sure Ross is a long term option for anywhere. But he always makes a big start.
Interesting to see how he goes in 2 years.

As for us, we were new and interesting last year. This year we're not as good with what is supposed to be our strength, while we haven't found any new strengths. That does not bode well. Voss at Brisbane? I hope not. But we need to make some changes, on the field and how we play.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #104
Yep been saying it for years. We have the dumbest collection of footballers in the game.
It would be difficult to argue against that. We make so many poor decisions and don't seem to learn from the ones we make.
Live Long and Prosper!