Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 23 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Gold Coast at Gold Coast (Read 5354 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 23 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Gold Coast at Gold Coast

Reply #45
Geez if that injury update is correct, it's looking good. We just need to snare one or two wins and we could go into finals with almost a full contingent.

We've been winning without all of those players, but I'll happily have Harry back in the team. Some of his stuff working up the ground in the weeks before he got injured was pretty good.

Re: AFL Rd 23 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Gold Coast at Gold Coast

Reply #46
If the club is fair dinkum about list depth and reward for effort, then none of Walsh, Cerra, Silvagni or McKay should be automatic ins. I know it will never happen, but they should earn their spot. None of the blokes that played against Melbourne deserve the ar$e. And that was such a super effort, perhaps that's an excellent balance right there ?

Reply #47
Did it?

Last 2 weeks we have come up against 2 very good defensive sides. Both top 4, along with us.

Points against...
Carlton - 1505
St. Kilda - 1520
Collingwood - 1532
Melbourne - 1544
Western Bulldogs - 1595

So Walsh and Cerra don't get back in either?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #48
If the club is fair dinkum about list depth and reward for effort, then none of Walsh, Cerra, Silvagni or McKay should be automatic ins. I know it will never happen, but they should earn their spot. None of the blokes that played against Melbourne deserve the ar$e. And that was such a super effort, perhaps that's an excellent balance right there ?

Absolutely but Charlie will be better if two key defenders are not hanging off him.

Pitto and Hollands were serviceable but making way for Harry (reputation, scoring and score assist ability, high marking, ruck forward 50) and SOS (forward pressure, overhead marking,  smarts, relief ruck) will not be the end of the world. We are extremely strong with the ground balls and about to get stronger.

Reply #49
There won't be as many changes as people think, if you look at the squad that player GC in Rnd 14 it is probably a good guide to next weekend.

I think our biggest problem is that with Dew gone GC is now tactically a known unknown, that makes it a danger game.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #50
Pitto Hollands (Doc)
Harry SOS (Boyd)
We can try having two defensive playmakers in Boyd and Fish. Doc plays further up the ground can have Boyd playing deeper defensively and not push so much further up the ground if SOS and H play.

If Doc plays then Doc stays more defensively than pushing forward maybe.

Reply #51
Thanks for the feedback, first VFL game I've not been able to watch this season so I appreciate the discussion.

On the VFL v Casey and Boyd.
I thought he played at the level we've come to appreciate. What stood out for me was his leadership. He was barking instructions with real confidence. At times pausing until his mates got in position.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #52

Players like McKay, Walsh, Cerra and Silvagni can “earn their spot” by performing well at training.

A forward line with Charlie and Harry, even with the latter going at half rat power, is considerably better than a forward line with Charlie and a bevy of small and medium forwards.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #53
Of course Harry comes in when he can.

Talk of Charlie doing it on his own is fanciful.  Not doubting his skills, but for the last two weeks against two solid defensive sides, he has been double- and triple teamed.  Being Charlie, he has still managed some big moments, but we have only kicked 9 and 10 goals in those matches.  As long as those two work out a way to have one working up high, and the other dropping back, it is a nightmare for the opposition.  

I would back Charlie and Harry in 1-on-1s, and they certainly won't be outmarked often, so the smalls will have plenty underneath to go to work on.

And I am confident that Harry has overcome his yips (  :-X ) so we will get better value from his possessions.

After all of this discussion, what a nice problem to have!  At this stage of the year, we are usually talking about guys getting games gifted because there are no other options.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #54
Here is the question, do we need to risk Harry on a road trip recovery just a few weeks after surgery, or would we be better to give him an extra week to front up against GWS?

If we do not pick Harry, is it hurting / overloading Charlie?

Do we pick Harry and SoJ then give Charlie a week off, or does the Coleman really matter too much?

I doubt we'll go with one ruck against Witts just a couple of weeks out from finals the risk is too great that the overloaded solo ruck breaks down.

Coming off knee surgery I doubt our MC will risk Harry rucking anywhere even at boundary line throw ins.

I suspect if Harry comes in it will be for Ed, and perhaps Boyd in for Doc, that will be the only changes. It's possible that Harry comes in for Hollands or Cottrell simply because Harry covers so much ground and demands opposition attention, they'll run a tall and a crumber against him at contests as he gets up the ground, so the loss of a pure wing like Hollands or Cottrell is not so critical.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #55
Pitto and the King did a job on Witts last time.  Witts got plenty of hitouts - we smashed them in the clearances - but was neutralised around the ground.

Cripps- Walsh were sublime in the clearances. Cue Paddy Dow.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #56
Some talk around that McKay and Silvagni both expected to be available for this game.

Reply #57
Some talk around that McKay and Silvagni both expected to be available for this game.

Hope they are will find out in couple of days.

Reply #58
I'm quite disappointed that we couldn't get Walsh up for this game.  The Suns key strength is their midfield - Walsh destroyed them at the 'G, and we didn't have to face Touk Miller in that game either.

I'm also a bit worried that several of the Suns will be aiming to show their newly-appointed coach what they're made of.

Don't stop now, Blues......

This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #59
Does every thread have to be infected with this f-en ruck debate? Just sayin.