Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 9 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 2122 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 9 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #30
Kennedy did very well against Petracca in the first qtr, but Petracca was too good for Gov when moved forward.. too strong, too quick. But Gov should have had a mark paid in the third qtr that Van Rooyen belatedly swatted away for a Petracca goal

Reply #31
From the media coverage you'd think Melbourne dominated this game.  Aside from our gun players, I thought a lot of our lesser lights played important roles.  That's been overlooked - teams win flags, not a handful of guns within chaff.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #32
Just on Ollie Hollands, caught a couple of times last night...he's only in his second season, still young , still very slight, and still probably adjusting to the speed of the game.
When he gets a bit more experience and a bit more bulk (he may never be super big, but he can add a bit of muscle and strength) he'll be a valuable long term player for us.

Reply #33
Just on Ollie Hollands, caught a couple of times last night...he's only in his second season, still young , still very slight, and still probably adjusting to the speed of the game.
When he gets a bit more experience and a bit more bulk (he may never be super big, but he can add a bit of muscle and strength) he'll be a valuable long term player for us.
Reminded me of Paddy Dow playing U18s
football...thought he started well but Langdon got on top.
Probable matchup with Gulden next game...that could get ugly.

Reply #34
Backs against the wall, line in the sand, facing 3 defeats in a row (to very good opposition).

We found a way to win. That's to be appreciated, respected and applauded. The Go Dees were always going to come back hard after qtr time, premium sides do that.

We owned the game for about 35 minutes, they owned the game for about 35 minutes... the rest was an even arm wrestle.

The effort from Petracca was a once in a season brilliance from one person.
We negated most of their match winners. Kosi, Fritch, Van Rooyen un seen and smashed by our defenders (that's two big scalps in a row for Cinc). Lever was forced to defend all night as opposed to running around unaccountable picking off I50s.
May had his hands full with Charlie who ran him up the ground a few times. When May returned from one sortee chasing Charlie, he was right in front of us and was completely gassed gasping for air. Charlie was laughing at him like a schoolboy.
I love Gawn, he is a monster who just doesn't stop. But FMD you cant touch him, instant free kick when you do and and nothing in return when he does the same.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #35
Doesn't stop the sea of teas from salty Go dees fans.  Delusional.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #36
From the media coverage you'd think Melbourne dominated this game.  Aside from our gun players, I thought a lot of our lesser lights played important roles.  That's been overlooked - teams win flags, not a handful of guns within chaff.
Arrived home from the game with Junior G2C to be greeted my an angry Mrs G2C. Reckoned the Ch7 commentary was so biased she had to mute it. Ahhhh yes, love it when my effect wears off on family members.
PS Heard Cornes this morning on radio say how he listened to SEN Blues Radio (Maher, Edmond, Kouta and Ange) synced with the TV telecast, absolutely hilarious he reckons.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #37
We weren't that bad against Geelong or Collingwood and could've won them both. Last night, we got reward for efforts in the first 3 quarters.

On the umpiring....surely they go in at half time and look at the count and look to square up? The difference between the two halves was ridiculous?

Weitering, Walsh and Cripps were just next level last night and Weitering just seemed to have a spring in his step last night with McGovern back? Kemp was good but needs to stop trying to take Mark of the Year when he should be defending.

Cincotta was brilliant on Pickett and not sure who was on Fritsch but he didn't do much either.

Agree on Hollands...caught a couple of times but was brilliant, especially early. Disappointing to lose Cerra but Hewett will come straight back in for him next week and maybe Carroll or Binns as the sub.

One of Boyd's quieter games this year but still very effective with ball in hand.

And Charlie might not have kicked a bag but some of his defensive efforts were really good and he worked May right up the ground at times to nullify his influence.

And Pitto...definitely broke even on the night IMO with Gawn. Gawn was one of their better players but not as dominant as he could've been.

Disappointing to only win by a point after kicking the first 6 goals, but Melbourne are a top 4 side, beat Geelong last week....so take it and move one.

Reply #38

[4] Free Kicks: My God, we were crucified. I don't want to go through all of them, but there were so many after half time! Without them, Melbourne wouldn't have got close.
But that big tackle on Petracca near siren time: absolute Gold!

I didn't agree with all of the frees but I could see why the vast majority were paid and I thought the umpires consistently gave the player with the ball every opportunity to dispose of it legally - sometimes too much of an opportunity - and consistently awarded an 'incorrect disposal' free when the player lost control of the ball in the tackle if he had had a prior opportunity.

Reply #39
4 points in the bag but at the cost of wear on our hearts and Cerra's injury.

Just thinking about Petracca and how he got off the leash. Charlie should've gone to him in the last late in the last quarter, he was in the backline anyway, he's athletic enough and strong enough to impede Petracca's influence, only has to break even.

Vossy out coached Goody in the first 3qtrs, we need to find a way of stopping team's momentum  >:( 
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #40
Looking at Richmond during their flag years, as they played a very high pressure game like us. They were pretty damn ordinary until about July each year. Then peaked when it mattered, just getting top 4, being able to keep up their high pressure game where they buried sides come finals. Thinking we could be the same. We couldn't keep up a high pressure game and were out on our feet. By July/August we will. Suppose that is called peaking. Interestingly, during that 4 year period, the one year they didn't make the GF was the year they finished on top.

Reply #41

Just thinking about Petracca and how he got off the leash. Charlie should've gone to him in the last late in the last quarter, he was in the backline anyway, he's athletic enough and strong enough to impede Petracca's influence, only has to break even.

Not sure about Charlie in that role - I think Newman might have been the best available option after McGovern was toasted a couple of times.  If Cincotta hadn't been so much on top of Pickett, he might have been worth a try.

Reply #42

I reckon that was Ollie's best game.

I think that he is trying to find the time to make his disposals count and underestimates his opponent's closing speed and/or proximity.  In some ways it's probably better that he gives away a free than kicking to the opposition.  I imagine that Tim Clarke and Luke Power will be working with Ollie to improve his ability to get his disposals away more quickly and without losing efficiency.

Ollie was quieter in the second half, and Langdon's not the player he was, but it's still an important scalp to have taken. 
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #43
Arrived home from the game with Junior G2C to be greeted my an angry Mrs G2C. Reckoned the Ch7 commentary was so biased she had to mute it. Ahhhh yes, love it when my effect wears off on family members.
PS Heard Cornes this morning on radio say how he listened to SEN Blues Radio (Maher, Edmond, Kouta and Ange) synced with the TV telecast, absolutely hilarious he reckons.

Ms DJC is pretty much a neutral observer and she remarked that she never heard such biased commentary before.  She also had a crack at the umpires for some poor decisions  :)

BT and his mates do tend to boost the team that's behind so that the punters won't turn the game off but a bit of balance would be a pleasant change.

I must learn how to sync Blues Radio  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #44
Agree with remarks about the Ch7 commentary last night. It scaled new heights in bias, irrelevance and statement of the blindingly obvious. BT gave a masterclass ably supported by his willing cohort.
Reality always wins in the end.