Skip to main content
Topic: Pre-Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 3: Carlton vs Sydney (Read 23618 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre-Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 3: Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #135
The 'abstract collection of facts' backs up my contention.

Alternatively, you provide..... ?

Swans are ripe for the picking, but picking a side like we did works in their favour, not ours.

Yes, we may have won once against them (in their worst period in 10 years no less) but any club can beat any other on any given day. Cellar dwellers Saints and Swans beat the unbeatable '95 blues for example. An one game, does not constitute a pattern.

Who knows, Casboult may end up with 8 shots and goal and kick them all.
He might end up with 8 shots on goal and kick 4 behinds and 4 out on the full.
He might end up with less than 8 possessions. (....this the most likely option from this list)

Everyone has their chance, but run this game 100 times over with the best 22 picked vs 100 times over with a different 22 (mine for example) and i'd be very surprised if this one wins more than the alternative......and thats my point in a nutshell.

Reply #136
Really? Do i need to spell it out? I thought i just did.

Sydney have (kinda) recently won a flag, and more recently played off in a grand final. Their style over a long period of time has been using bigger bodied players (mids mainly) and being strong at the contest. Given they have had the ultimate success and been near the top for a while you'd think they are very successful at it.

Alternatively, we have a young, largely inexperienced, smaller bodied list. We are struggling to find our 'style' but being bullies is about as far from our style as you can get given our list makeup.

So given the above, what makes you think we can match them at their own game? Surely we'd be better off trying to beat them in another manner rather than playing to their strengths?

I agree. Sydney are very hard to beat when the game is played on their terms.

Would prefer to see us take the match on like we did for 2 quarters last week then try and beat this mob playing a in tight contested contest. They can beat anyone if played on those terms and we are not good enough to try that game plan against them.

Just can’t see us getting the points unless we run ultra hard, take some smart risks when needed and take the game on.

Reply #137
The 'abstract collection of facts' backs up my contention.

Alternatively, you provide..... ?

Swans are ripe for the picking, but picking a side like we did works in their favour, not ours.

Yes, we may have won once against them (in their worst period in 10 years no less) but any club can beat any other on any given day. Cellar dwellers Saints and Swans beat the unbeatable '95 blues for example. An one game, does not constitute a pattern.

Who knows, Casboult may end up with 8 shots and goal and kick them all.
He might end up with 8 shots on goal and kick 4 behinds and 4 out on the full.
He might end up with less than 8 possessions. (....this the most likely option from this list)

Everyone has their chance, but run this game 100 times over with the best 22 picked vs 100 times over with a different 22 (mine for example) and i'd be very surprised if this one wins more than the alternative......and thats my point in a nutshell.

Us vs them is the relevant comparison. If you want to compare our recent overall record to other clubs, we may as well not bother showing up. We have matched them at their own game, and that's the point I'm making.

Reply #138
One of Marchbank or Casboult, not both.

On a side issue, have you checked out the coaches' Northern Player review EB? Some very interesting roles outlined for some younger players, I'd have never considered Owies a medium forward or Stocker a close checking half back.  I think that's called....development ?  Its just so long since we've had any I'm struggling with the concept.

I did see that review Prof.....wouldnt be my choice to play Stocker half back but he must have shown he needs some education in defending players rather than just being a ball winner.
Owies probably doesnt have a position as yet and starting off down forward on a flank etc isnt a bad way to get exposure to the game without having a lot of responsibility and allows him to have a look
at how the game is played and to pick up the pace.
Obrien had nine contested disposals which is a good sign and maybe why he got picked this week, important year for him and he needs to justify that pick 10 being used on him.
I guess we asked for development/education and thats what Fraser is giving us, I do like that kerr is being used forward and back and I like the way that kid plays his footy...strong/physical and in the old fashioned way you and I both like it.

Reply #139
CARLTON
B: Liam Jones, Lachie Plowman, Kade Simpson
HB: Dale Thomas, Jacob Weitering, Nic Newman
C: Marc Murphy, Patrick Cripps, Sam Petrevski-Seton
HF: Ed Curnow, Harry McKay, Sam Walsh
F: Zac Fisher, Mitch McGovern, Michael Gibbons
R: Andrew Phillips, Will Setterfield, Paddy Dow
Int: Cameron Polson, Caleb Marchbank, Lochie O'Brien, Levi Casboult

Emg: Liam Stocker, Jarrod Garlett, Matthew Lobbe, Jack Silvagni

IN: Caleb Marchbank, Lochie O'Brien, Levi Casboult
OUT: Alex Fasolo (Omitted), Charlie Curnow (Injured), Jarrod Garlett (Omitted)

Perhaps not as quick as I would like, but having Casboult gives us some flexibility and ruck option. O'Brien has been getting the ball, but I'd like him to get more inside ball. I probably wouldn't have played Marchbank without a game in the VFL.
Anyway, this is what we have chosen. How they line up ... who knows?

SYDNEY SWANS
B: Jake Lloyd, Dane Rampe, Callum Mills
HB: Zak Jones, Aliir Aliir, Jarrad McVeigh
C: Oliver Florent, Isaac Heeney, George Hewett
HF: Tom Papley, Lance Franklin, Will Hayward
F: Tom McCartin, Sam Reid, Ben Ronke
R: Callum Sinclair, Luke Parker, Josh P. Kennedy
Int: Nick Blakey, Jackson Thurlow, Harry Cunningham, Jordan Dawson

EMG Lewis Melican, James Rowbottom, Robbie Fox, Ryley Stoddart

IN: Tom McCartin, Jackson Thurlow, Jordan Dawson
OUT: Lewis Melican (Omitted), Colin O'Riordan (Omitted), Ryan Clarke (Omitted)

Swans are tall up forward with McCartin into the team and Blakely still on the bench, think thats why Marchbank got picked...we would have been exposed for size down back.
Swans dont have much size down back either maybe Levi and Harry can work them over..

Reply #140
Cas in for Charlie allows Harry our most potent fwd a full game up front.  Cas can also take marks around the ground when he's rucking and might snag a goal. Would rather have Charlie in fine form but he's not and he's injured. A win all things considered.

L'OB in for Garlett - who many have noted has squibbed it at times and deserves to be dropped.  L'OB I rate.  Better runner and ball getter already and I believe his kicking will become a real weapon when he matures a bit and gains some more composure.  Nice action and can deliver a long ball to advantage. He'll be a nice distributor for us who can run all day. 

Marchy in for Fas.  Not too dissimilar really.  Mid/taller sized marking players.  If the swans have 3 tall fwds then we need 3 taller defenders.  Fas out of the fwd line (in his current form) is a win as it allows a smaller pressure player like Fisher to play fwd.  He's a natural terrier and goal kicker and can play some time in the middle too.

Maybe i'm just an optimist.

Reply #141
I'd wager o brien will go wing, marchbank fills in for garlett and Murphy goes forward to replace fasolo,  and Levi is a straight swap for Charlie.

Rumours are saying Murphy is a question mark.  Garlett as emergency suggests marchbank might not come up either.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #142
"Murphy doubtful" may not necessarily be a result of that collision last week.
Even before that I was wondering if he'd been carrying an injury both games.

Reply #143
Agree to an extend DJC but I can't think of another player that we've got who can play that run-with role on the best opposition midfielders? If you've got the best midfield in the competition like Collingwood you just back your blokes in to win it more than the opposition and don't bother tagging their blokes...but we're miles off being that and blokes like Cotchin and Rockliff just towelled us up in the first two weeks running unchecked and racking up possessions. Not having a go at Ed as he's been one of my favourite players for years...just questioning what they're trying to achieve as it doesn't look to be working.

I really don’t think that Cotchin and Rockliff towelled us up.  Rockliff got a lot of the ball but did nothing with it and Cotchin was only marginally more effective.  Cripps was clearly the best midfielder in terms of the impact/effectiveness of his possessions but neither opposition coach thought it necessary to tag him.  The tagging role seems to have been consigned to the history books.

I see Ed’s role as an evolution that reflects the growth in our midfield talent; he is still a valuable contributor but the new blokes are better.  If he can make a contribution as a forward, that is a huge win for an evolving forward line. 

I will be at the game and I will be paying particular attention to Ed’s role and performance.  Hopefully I will be able to give a positive response.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #144
Lods,  the way Murphy is moving I'd suggest his back is sore.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #146
I really don’t think that Cotchin and Rockliff towelled us up.  Rockliff got a lot of the ball but did nothing with it and Cotchin was only marginally more effective.  Cripps was clearly the best midfielder in terms of the impact/effectiveness of his possessions but neither opposition coach thought it necessary to tag him.  The tagging role seems to have been consigned to the history books.

I see Ed’s role as an evolution that reflects the growth in our midfield talent; he is still a valuable contributor but the new blokes are better.  If he can make a contribution as a forward, that is a huge win or an evolving forward line. 

I will be at the game and I will be paying particular attention to Ed’s role and performance.  Hopefully I will be able to give a positive response.

I'd disagree on Rockliff, he led the clearance possies with Cripps....we should have been well on top with Wines out but didnt take advantage....Rockliff went at 70%DE and Cripps at 64%...
Cotchin I agree didnt have much effect...we needed to stop Rockliff though.

Reply #147
I'd disagree on Rockliff, he led the clearance possies with Cripps....we should have been well on top with Wines out but didnt take advantage....Rockliff went at 70%DE and Cripps at 64%...
Cotchin I agree didnt have much effect...we needed to stop Rockliff though.

If Rockliff missed a target I can't remember it. I thought he was particularly effective and was the difference between the two teams.

Reply #148
Swans are tall up forward with McCartin into the team and Blakely still on the bench, think thats why Marchbank got picked...we would have been exposed for size down back.
Swans dont have much size down back either maybe Levi and Harry can work them over..

Hopefully it's that and they don't run off us.

Reply #149
Who do we play on J Lloyd? Very important player for them - can't be left to his own devices.