Skip to main content
Topic: Pre-Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 3: Carlton vs Sydney (Read 23929 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre-Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 3: Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #120
But with those "ins" we're not matching them in the midfield by any stretch?

That's true. But with Setters, Cripps and Curnow, there's already size there. Marchy is quite versatile IMO, and ObiOne is pacy, so maybe the MC figure he gives us an advantage on the outside ? Dunno their reasoning......

Reply #121
So a wooden spoon team is going to match it with a premiership winning team at their own game?

Personally i think its pretty clear what we should be trying to do....and its not that.

What does ladder position have to do with team selection ?

Reply #122
Cookie....I'd put money on Ed returning to a tagging role this week on Josh Kennedy.

Mate, I really hope you are right.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #123
cookie....it's easy sitting back in our lounge chairs screaming at the TV getting frustrated but for the life of me I can't see why they're trying to change Ed's role at this stage of his career? He's an elite runner and the best games he's played for us have been in the midfield and running with opposition players...he's done it on Cotchin, Selwood and those types before and I can't understand why it wasn't Cotchin in Round 1 and Rockliff last week. Last week we had Gibbons, Fasolo and Polson up forward and in Round 1 it was Gibbons, Fasolo and Cunningham....Curnow was surplus in that role and finishing around goals has never been his strong point. You can argue that type of role is redundant these days but look at what Hutchings did on Sidebottom in the GF and he'll likely get that tag, if not another, this week again. Hutchings runs all day but isn't known for his goalkicking or finishing skills either but you can guarantee West Coast won't be trying to turn him into a small/medium forward anytime soon.

Reply #124
A lot has been said about Ed's role as a defensive forward and I really don't understand the criticism of the role or his performances.

For a start, he has been all over the ground doing his normal "make it hard for the opposition" work and collecting plenty of his own ball.  Yes, some of his disposals haven't been the best, but that's generally what you get from Ed, no matter where he plays.

I would expect him to continue as a defensive forward and take a minor part in the midfield rotations this game.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #125
cookie....it's easy sitting back in our lounge chairs screaming at the TV getting frustrated but for the life of me I can't see why they're trying to change Ed's role at this stage of his career? He's an elite runner and the best games he's played for us have been in the midfield and running with opposition players...he's done it on Cotchin, Selwood and those types before and I can't understand why it wasn't Cotchin in Round 1 and Rockliff last week. Last week we had Gibbons, Fasolo and Polson up forward and in Round 1 it was Gibbons, Fasolo and Cunningham....Curnow was surplus in that role and finishing around goals has never been his strong point. You can argue that type of role is redundant these days but look at what Hutchings did on Sidebottom in the GF and he'll likely get that tag, if not another, this week again. Hutchings runs all day but isn't known for his goalkicking or finishing skills either but you can guarantee West Coast won't be trying to turn him into a small/medium forward anytime soon.

The only thing I can think of is that often miss push forward to break a tag.  Ed cant play back so if theres no one else to tag he needs a plan B.

We are currently not going to win much, so may as well get the L platers to play in the guts and tag, and get our tagger (who has copped a lot of physicality over the years) a gap year and try give him another dimension in case of emergency.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #126
In Marchy Cas O'Brien
Out Fas Charlie Garlett
EMERG SOS Stocker Garlett Lobbe

CARLTON
B: Liam Jones, Lachie Plowman, Kade Simpson
HB: Dale Thomas, Jacob Weitering, Nic Newman
C: Marc Murphy, Patrick Cripps, Sam Petrevski-Seton
HF: Ed Curnow, Harry McKay, Sam Walsh
F: Zac Fisher, Mitch McGovern, Michael Gibbons
R: Andrew Phillips, Will Setterfield, Paddy Dow
Int: Cameron Polson, Caleb Marchbank, Lochie O'Brien, Levi Casboult

Emg: Liam Stocker, Jarrod Garlett, Matthew Lobbe, Jack Silvagni

IN: Caleb Marchbank, Lochie O'Brien, Levi Casboult
OUT: Alex Fasolo (Omitted), Charlie Curnow (Injured), Jarrod Garlett (Omitted)

Perhaps not as quick as I would like, but having Casboult gives us some flexibility and ruck option. O'Brien has been getting the ball, but I'd like him to get more inside ball. I probably wouldn't have played Marchbank without a game in the VFL.
Anyway, this is what we have chosen. How they line up ... who knows?

SYDNEY SWANS
B: Jake Lloyd, Dane Rampe, Callum Mills
HB: Zak Jones, Aliir Aliir, Jarrad McVeigh
C: Oliver Florent, Isaac Heeney, George Hewett
HF: Tom Papley, Lance Franklin, Will Hayward
F: Tom McCartin, Sam Reid, Ben Ronke
R: Callum Sinclair, Luke Parker, Josh P. Kennedy
Int: Nick Blakey, Jackson Thurlow, Harry Cunningham, Jordan Dawson

EMG Lewis Melican, James Rowbottom, Robbie Fox, Ryley Stoddart

IN: Tom McCartin, Jackson Thurlow, Jordan Dawson
OUT: Lewis Melican (Omitted), Colin O'Riordan (Omitted), Ryan Clarke (Omitted)
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #127
Agree to an extend DJC but I can't think of another player that we've got who can play that run-with role on the best opposition midfielders? If you've got the best midfield in the competition like Collingwood you just back your blokes in to win it more than the opposition and don't bother tagging their blokes...but we're miles off being that and blokes like Cotchin and Rockliff just towelled us up in the first two weeks running unchecked and racking up possessions. Not having a go at Ed as he's been one of my favourite players for years...just questioning what they're trying to achieve as it doesn't look to be working.

Reply #128
What does ladder position have to do with team selection ?

Really? Do i need to spell it out? I thought i just did.

Sydney have (kinda) recently won a flag, and more recently played off in a grand final. Their style over a long period of time has been using bigger bodied players (mids mainly) and being strong at the contest. Given they have had the ultimate success and been near the top for a while you'd think they are very successful at it.

Alternatively, we have a young, largely inexperienced, smaller bodied list. We are struggling to find our 'style' but being bullies is about as far from our style as you can get given our list makeup.

So given the above, what makes you think we can match them at their own game? Surely we'd be better off trying to beat them in another manner rather than playing to their strengths?

Reply #129
One of Marchbank or Casboult, not both.

On a side issue, have you checked out the coaches' Northern Player review EB? Some very interesting roles outlined for some younger players, I'd have never considered Owies a medium forward or Stocker a close checking half back.  I think that's called....development ?  Its just so long since we've had any I'm struggling with the concept.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #130
Really? Do i need to spell it out? I thought i just did.

Sydney have (kinda) recently won a flag, and more recently played off in a grand final. Their style over a long period of time has been using bigger bodied players (mids mainly) and being strong at the contest. Given they have had the ultimate success and been near the top for a while you'd think they are very successful at it.

Alternatively, we have a young, largely inexperienced, smaller bodied list. We are struggling to find our 'style' but being bullies is about as far from our style as you can get given our list makeup.

So given the above, what makes you think we can match them at their own game? Surely we'd be better off trying to beat them in another manner rather than playing to their strengths?

Sydney last won a flag in 2012. We've turned over 8000 players since then. They started last season at 0-6, and like us, have started this season at 0-2.

Who would be in your 22 ?

Reply #131
Something must be up for Kennedy not to be named an emergency

Reply #132
Sydney last won a flag in 2012. We've turned over 8000 players since then. They started last season at 0-6, and like us, have started this season at 0-2.

Who would be in your 22 ?

And won a flag the year before Bolton was coach.
Finished 1st in his 1st year as coach.
Haven't missed the finals in 10 years.
Are very consistent.

...and yes, they started 0-6.....and finished 6th.

How are you missing this??

My 22....

Instead Kennedy (in form) allows Murphy to play forward
I'd have kept Garlett, suited to the ideal conditions of Marvel.
Then its a tossup for who takes the last spot, I'd probably reward Jack if fit before giving Obrien a go.

So from the listed team...
In: Garlett, Kennedy (Jack?)
Out: Casboult, Obrien/Ed

Reply #133
Confused.

Kennedy must be injured again.

Marchbank has no match conditioning.

Meat has been playing as a defender.

Two talls in, one tall out. Two smalls out. One medium in.

Confused.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #134
And won a flag the year before Bolton was coach.
Finished 1st in his 1st year as coach.
Haven't missed the finals in 10 years.
Are very consistent.

...and yes, they started 0-6.....and finished 6th.

How are you missing this??

My 22....

Instead Kennedy (in form) allows Murphy to play forward
I'd have kept Garlett, suited to the ideal conditions of Marvel.
Then its a tossup for who takes the last spot, I'd probably reward Jack if fit before giving Obrien a go.

So from the listed team...
In: Garlett, Kennedy (Jack?)
Out: Casboult, Obrien/Ed

Forget the abstract collection of facts. In our last three games, we have matched them on the inside. One of those games we actually won, and the other was when Buddy kicked 10.

https://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2018/11/syd-v-carl

https://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2017/6/carl-v-syd

https://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2017/23/syd-v-carl

I can see merits in your list, but I can also see why the club has made its choice.