Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 7: Post Game Platitudes: Carlton vs Adelaide (Read 18801 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 7: Post Game Platitudes: Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #90
re: Disposal...OShea was at 81% vs the Crows....meaning IMO he probably hit 100% of his kicks that went 10-15m, anything at 30m plus seemed to go to a Crows player. I'd suggest Simpson stats are similarly inflated...
Was it Simpson who had a open shot on the run for goal and couldnt make the distance from about 40m out?

Reply #91
What's your ideal back 6 Jim?..of those likely to be available.

Weitering, Marchbank, Plowman, Lamb (like to see him, tried there rather than another lumbering tall) Thomas, Simmo, Shaw, maybe Garlett to replicate Yarran's old role. That's from what's available right now. I'm assuming Weitering ran himself into form in the NBs. If not Rowe, who may be required to ruck a bit with Casboult out. Even use Schumacher rather than an extra tall. Need some sort of run from half back. Fully fit, Williamson, Byrne, Alex Silvagni would be added in there.

Reply #92
As usual the very little we get out of our youngsters is reducing the effectiveness of our older players.

The snowball effect is massive and I find most criticism of our players a tad unfair on that basis.

We need our senior bodies back asap.

I wrote this on my phone yesterday and feel that perhaps some have glossed over it.

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/footy/player-statistics

If you click on this link, and go to advanced stats, you start seeing a much bigger picture about who is putting in a mountain of work.  From round 7 alone, I have excluded every stat apart from time on ground %.

Our players in terms of time on ground percentage:

Liam Jones - 96%
Ed Curnow - 96%  (Considering this bloke spends 4 quarters running from contest to contest or with an opponent, this is absolutely amazing).
Sam Rowe - 94%
Kade Simpson - 93% (Spare a thought for a 34 year old bloke, who has been shouldering a big load for our kids to get a bit of an armchair ride)
Patrick Cripps - 91% (another warrior at the coalface and well down on effectiveness for it).
Matthew Wright - 90%
Levi Casboult - 88% (Don't forget he went off halfway through the last quarter with broken ribs and a lacerated lung lining).
Cameron O'Shea - 87%
Sam Kerridge - 84%
Jarrod Garlett - 83%
Lochie O'Brien - 83%
Dale Thomas - 80%
Lachie Plowman - 78%
Zach Fisher - 78%
Harry Mckay - 76%
Matthew Kreuzer - 76%
Nick Graham - 76%
Aaron Mullet - 75%
Andrew Phillips - 71%
Paddy Dow - 71%
Matt Kennedy - 69%
SPS - 65%

The guys at the bottom end are not giving us anywhere near enough in terms of time on ground, and need to be maximising their impact for the amount of time they are spending on the interchange bench.

Unfortunately, we can only state that they are going at half rat power even when on the park.  I am extremely dissapointed to see a big bloke like Phillips off for over a quarter particularly when we had Kreuzer and Casboult and Rowe off the park.

I think we need to worry less about the personnel on the park, and more about how effective we can use them because these stats tell an absolutely woeful story about blokes who are on the bench for too long, and other blokes shouldering too much of a load.

Food for thought:

A brain in a tired body, is more likely to make more mistakes, not because of what they want to do, but simply due to fatigue.

We are simply carrying too many non contributers for too long a period during games. 

On the flipside, I did the same exercise for the Crows:

http://www.afc.com.au/season/statistics

(Note you have to go to advanced options, and you select what fields you want).

These guys didnt have a bloke over 91% game time (Josh Jenkins at the top end) and Wayne Milera aside who went off with a Hamstring injury, didnt have a player go under 79% game time.

We need to be a bit more level headed about things and appreciate what our blokes are giving us.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #93

On the flipside, I did the same exercise for the Crows:

http://www.afc.com.au/season/statistics

(Note you have to go to advanced options, and you select what fields you want).

These guys didnt have a bloke over 91% game time (Josh Jenkins at the top end) and Wayne Milera aside who went off with a Hamstring injury, didnt have a player go under 79% game time.

We need to be a bit more level headed about things and appreciate what our blokes are giving us.

What amazes me from those Crows stats is that they can afford to have a bloke like Hugh Greenwood operating at, on average, only 74% on-ground time !.......I'd suggest that his input & effectivness for the time he's actually on the ground would be enormous.

And they payed basically nothing for him, still makes my blood boil.

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #94
What amazes me from those Crows stats is that they can afford to have a bloke like Hugh Greenwood operating at, on average, only 74% on-ground time !.......I'd suggest that his input & effectivness for the time he's actually on the ground would be enormous.

And they payed basically nothing for him, still makes my blood boil.

Thats the point though malo.

Hes a 26 year old mature recruit, who's been on the list for 2 years, and has a background as an athlete.  If he had to play 5% more per game, he probably could.

What I was hoping to highlight is that the blokes in our team who are probably struggling with disposal, are shouldering a much greater load than they should be.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #95
The guys at the bottom end are not giving us anywhere near enough in terms of time on ground, and need to be maximising their impact for the amount of time they are spending on the interchange bench.

Phillips I get given Kreuzer, Bolt, Harry out there...

SPS and Kennedy - both not right perhaps....?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #96
Thats the point though malo.

Hes a 26 year old mature recruit, who's been on the list for 2 years, and has a background as an athlete.  If he had to play 5% more per game, he probably could.

What I was hoping to highlight is that the blokes in our team who are probably struggling with disposal, are shouldering a much greater load than they should be.

That's another aspect to those time on ground stats we should consider.

If your impact player plays 80% of a game as opposed to 90% can that be more effective overall?
In his best years for us Judd went at around 80-83% of TOG....usually came off buggered but gave a 100% for the time he was on the ground.
In previous years Cripps has been about the same 80-83%...he's over 88% average this year

Reply #97
That's another aspect to those time on ground stats we should consider.

If your impact player plays 80% of a game as opposed to 90% can that be more effective overall?
In his best years for us Judd went at around 80-83% of TOG....usually came off buggered but gave a 100% for the time he was on the ground.
In previous years Cripps has been about the same 80-83%...he's over 88% average this year

Distance covered would be another factor.

Reply #98
We pick two rucks again for what reason again. For all his hard work Phillips just doesn't give you enough around the ground or up forward. We can pick a smaller running type instead. and be alot more mobile.

Our ability to structure a side for modern footy is hopeless. We need to pick our two key backs when fit, Weitering and Marchbank, our key forward, McKay, Casboult as a forward/ruck, Kreuzer the one main ruck then pick a decent running side around that rather than a side from the land of the jolly green giants.

Why can Fraser use SOS as an inside mid in two games now and Bolton leaves him to rot on our impotent forward line. Give him a run there sometimes. It'll help his confidence like it does Levi when he gets to have a run in the ruck. Levi seems to lose alot of confidence when he's a full time forward. He's not going to be a 50 goal forward, he's a forward/ruck.

There's nobody in form at the Northern Blues that fits that role. Now, LeBois is out for an extended period too.

Reply #99
Real slow in the NB's. I didnt rate his game, disposal was ordinary and he needs more tricks to play midfield......

Agree. Only came good when the pace was off after 3rd quarter.

Reply #100
Agree. Only came good when the pace was off after 3rd quarter.

In fairness to SOJ, this is all new to him; just learning the midfield craft... so when you factor that in, what becomes a positive is his reading of the play which he can do naturally, attack on the aggott/man and ability to take possession... disposal/strength etc will improve in time. His ability to find the ball in tight is a huge plus and worth building on, or at least giving it a crack. Let's cut the kid some slack... anyone remember how ordinary SOS was early on in the Magoos, until he found his niche?
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #101
In fairness to SOJ, this is all new to him; just learning the midfield craft... so when you factor that in, what becomes a positive is his reading of the play which he can do naturally, attack on the aggott/man and ability to take possession... disposal/strength etc will improve in time. His ability to find the ball in tight is a huge plus and worth building on, or at least giving it a crack. Let's cut the kid some slack... anyone remember how ordinary SOS was early on in the Magoos, until he found his niche?

Yep, he is a beginner and probably needs two full seasons at NB level to get it sorted.

I'm sure that means we will play him next week as a starting midfielder! ::)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #102
Yep, he is a beginner and probably needs two full seasons at NB level to get it sorted.

I'm sure that means we will play him next week as a starting midfielder! ::)

After which the experiment will be deemed to be a failure ;D

My preference is he stays in the VFL for a bit longer and learns his mid-field trade there.
However if he does play seniors there's probably no harm in him spending a few short bursts in the middle just to give him an idea of the difference at that level.
(I'm not sure we haven't tried that already...I have memories of him starting in the centre... but it may have been a VFL match I was watching)

Reply #103
After which the experiment will be deemed to be a failure ;D

My preference is he stays in the VFL for a bit longer and learns his mid-field trade there.
However if he does play seniors there's probably no harm in him spending a few short bursts in the middle just to give him an idea of the difference at that level.
(I'm not sure we haven't tried that already...I have memories of him starting in the centre... but it may have been a VFL match I was watching)

I've found myself thinking (and saying) he's too slow to make it. Then I think of Jobe Watson. He fashioned himself into a midfielder and he certainly wasn't quick. He had Greg Williams as a mentor too...

Reply #104
Jack's still a bub in some respects.
While his father was never what you would call "heavy set" he was massively strong through the lower body and core.
Give Jack a couple of years to develop that power and he could indeed be a useful mid.