Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 10: Post Game Prattle: Carlton vs North Melbourne (Read 28211 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 10: Post Game Prattle: Carlton vs North Melbourne

Reply #60
Cuningham was a standout for mine. Gee he hits the contest with ferocity and can break packs open and shrug tackles. 2 goals was reward for effort and had another gettable which would have made 3 snags. I was rapt for him. He gives our midfield a different option/type with his mix of genuine grunt/inside work and break-away pace on the outside. he'll hurt teams. cannot understand all the negative talk about this boy who's just started his 2nd season at the Blues, and had injuries himself last year.

Guys like Cuningham, Charlie Curnow, Jack Silvagni and Fisher offered some serious hope and bite around the contest.

Then we've got - Weitering, Marchbank, Petrevski-Seton, Williamson and Macreadie.

On top this group, we have - Docherty, Cripps, Plowman, Pickett, Polson and Byrne. All young.

That's 15 young blokes for a start! That's the building blocks right there for our next Premiership!!!

Add in others such as the untried - McKay, Kerr, Glass-McCasker and Lebois.

Maybe - Jacob Hopper and/or Matt Kennedy among others too, plus more 2017 draftees and potential FA/trades. It's excitement plus!

In 2018 we have young Ben Silvagni in the frame also let's not forget. We'll all be watching his development with a keen eye this and more particularly, next year!

Reply #61
As others have said, i think BB and co. have simply got the mix (senior/older to young/inexperienced) wrong on a few occasions.

Doesn't help that Weitering is clearly very sore/tired/jaded and SoJ looks yippy.

SPS too not really giving a lot and Macreadie had done diddly in the 2s to earn a recall when Jaksch and White both had had very serviceable games....

Hopefully Jones will be good to go after the break. He may have been the difference if fit yesterday?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #62
Can I just say - FINALLY, we see Docherty in the midfield mix. Gee he hurts oppositions forward of centre. A real game changer for mine. I know he's great off half-back, but he's a mid/winger of the highest quality at AFL level for mine! Just needs time there.

Williamson showing signs of having the ability to play further up the ground in and around the contest too. Lovely size and mix of skill and G&D.

Hopefully, we can get the two Irish lads back playing really good and exciting AFL football in the backline to help Simpson and release Docherty further afield.

Reply #63
Two emerging mids ($400-$500k a season types with some runs on the board already) a priority.

Cuningham looks like the type who will get there if given the opportunity (but flounders if left in the 2s).

Darn glad we missed out on Caddy...
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #64
Can I just say - FINALLY, we see Docherty in the midfield mix. Gee he hurts oppositions forward of centre. A real game changer for mine. I know he's great off half-back, but he's a mid/winger of the highest quality at AFL level for mine! Just needs time there.

Williamson showing signs of having the ability to play further up the ground in and around the contest too. Lovely size and mix of skill and G&D.

Hopefully, we can get the two Irish lads back playing really good and exciting AFL football in the backline to help Simpson and release Docherty further afield.

He looked unstoppable running to the 50 line, didn't he!

Much to like....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #65

Higgins seem to have a few opponents but none were able to subdue him IMO and we suffered everytime he got the footy.....

Agree EB - this is the 4th week in a row we have been cut up by the opposition's small forward - Robbie Gray against Port, Billings against the Saints, Wolters against the Dockers and now Higgins.  Not sure who would be our best option to mark these types, but it's an element of our gameplan that we definitely need to put some work into.

Reply #66
As others have said, i think BB and co. have simply got the mix (senior/older to young/inexperienced) wrong on a few occasions.

Doesn't help that Weitering is clearly very sore/tired/jaded and SoJ looks yippy.

SPS too not really giving a lot and Macreadie had done diddly in the 2s to earn a recall when Jaksch and White both had had very serviceable games....

Hopefully Jones will be good to go after the break. He may have been the difference if fit yesterday?

Agree and if they are sore and tired - get the likes of Polson and McKay/Kerr in. Even Boekhorst if he's playing well enough. Let's see if there has been any improvement in him in the VFL.

Liam Jones a lock for mine when fit!

Reply #67
I dont want to shoot bambi but compared to last year, Weiters has been well below par. Dunno that he will be sent to the 2s to get some form but he probably needs it. As I said in the in game thread, that swingman rubbish can GAGF.

I don't think Weits has been the same since he hurt his shoulder last year in round 6 against essendon. I remember at the time he was interviewed and said he had never been injured before, which I can understand being a big kid in junior footy. I think the pain shocked him a bit and he has lost his confidence. Doesn't seem to be attacking the ball with abandon like he did when he first arrived especially with his marking. Hasn't helped that he has got a few more knocks since. Just need to give him time I reckon to get his confidence back and the club I'm sure will be supporting him with that. One good game where he clunks a few marks and dominates an opponent is all it will take to get him back on track IMO.

Love the kid so hope he gets the help he needs to turn it around.

Reply #68
I don't think Weits has been the same since he hurt his shoulder last year in round 6 against essendon. I remember at the time he was interviewed and said he had never been injured before, which I can understand being a big kid in junior footy.

Not quite correct, he's not been injured but he's been hurt more than once. I watched from the boundary line as he was carted off in an ambulance after being pole-axed by two opponents in a senior school football match, and I've seen him sat on the bench after a head clash in junior football.

Doesn't seem to be attacking the ball with abandon like he did when he first arrived especially with his marking. Hasn't helped that he has got a few more knocks since. Just need to give him time I reckon to get his confidence back and the club I'm sure will be supporting him with that.

I think it is more to do with the focus of his opponents, his game has now been pulled apart by opposition tactical coaches and he's got the 2nd year blues like any other player! Right now he's learning to deal with it, but I agree it doesn't help having him out of form while he's busy trying to sort his way through having opposition focus. They have sowed seeds of doubt, he has to learn to trust his instincts again!

Switching him forward may have even slowed his progress.

Late this year or next year, barring injury or bad luck, he'll be back to his very best.

Plus lets keep expectations in perspective. Weitering isn't like Zach Merrett, Weitering can't run around the ground gathering ineffective uncontested possessions and expect to get a pat on the back. Weitering has to win contested possessions and have high disposal efficiency just to get a pass mark!

Merrett averages 70% uncontested possessions at 60% efficiency.
Weitering averages 50% contested possessions at 80% efficiency.

Not bad for a bloke we think isn't at his best! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #69
Yuck... What good will that do. We lost a game of footy Sunday, but will be winning them in 2 years time. Forget the scoreboard this year.

I would have played Smedts for Mcreadie and that would have been my only change.

A Poster mentioned we have been in front in the last quarter vs Melbourne, Saints and North and run out of legs. Could be 5-4... But thats the challenge of playing young kids.

I know we all know it but I like to write it anyway: Carlton fielded a team with 9 players aged 18-20. North zero. And we came back from 8 goals down to almost win!

If you rounded up all the 18-20 year olds on Norths list and put them in the team against us on the weekend we'd have absolutely destroyed them. I like Bolton's "no honorable losses" message but that was some achievement.

We are absolutely on the right path. I don't mind if Palmer / Smedts / ASOS or any of the other slightly older guys come in and earn their keep. The kids are all class and there is a huge group of them coming in all together. We've got shedloads of space in the salary cap to hopefully pick out a couple of key midfielders who are also in the right age bracket (read not Fyfe).

Reply #70
Question needs to be asked.

https://www.zerohanger.com/breaking-round-10-mrp-results-12662/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=AFL+Trade+Rumours
North Melbourne’s Ryan Clarke can accept a $1000 fine for rough conduct on Carlton’s Matthew Wright on Sunday afternoon.

If that hit was deemed an MRP incident, then how on earth wasnt it a free kick down field??

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #71

https://www.zerohanger.com/breaking-round-10-mrp-results-12662/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=AFL+Trade+Rumours
If that hit was deemed an MRP incident, then how on earth wasnt it a free kick down field??

i thought the head was sacrosanct?!!

head high, deliberate, high impact and cops a $1500 fine.

Shameful.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #72

Did Wright kick a goal from that free? Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong thing.

Reply #73
Yuck... What good will that do. We lost a game of footy Sunday, but will be winning them in 2 years time. Forget the scoreboard this year.

I would have played Smedts for Mcreadie and that would have been my only change.

A Poster mentioned we have been in front in the last quarter vs Melbourne, Saints and North and run out of legs. Could be 5-4... But thats the challenge of playing young kids.

Yes, think that was me. I took it as a good sign that with young kids that we are very competitive. Another step of development and we win those games. Very promising.

Reply #74
Did Wright kick a goal from that free? Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong thing.

There was no free.  Casboult marked Wright's kick about 15m outside the 50.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball