Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 16: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 30478 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 16: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #120
In fairness to Meat, had he not had a history of poor kicking his present efforts would not be a concern (in terms of accuracy). Who knows, maybe we haven't given H a go (which would help Meat) yet as SOS wants to make sure our first pick is in the top 5 for draft negotiation purposes  ;) ;D :P

+1 history is working more against him than anything else.

Spot on Baggers old mate!
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #121
I don't think Clarkson would countenance Levi even for a second.

And Baggers, fair post.

Reply #122
Geelong yes, Richmond, yes, Collingwood yes, Hawthorn yes, Freo yes, just for starters. So sides don't need his like. Geelong could do with another forward, especially one that can play on the ball. Richmond are apparently offering 2 million for 4 years so it's a bit more than maybe.

He's rated alot higher by footy commentators, other clubs etc than by our supporters. When it comes to supporters with agendas or people that are actually involved with footy certainly be the latter many times over.

For real?
All of the above is presumably why his manager accepted a one year deal from Carlton this season, because other clubs were beating his door down.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #123
And note how life is easier for Levi now Charlie looms as a real threat as a forward....

And that wasn't really rocket science, was it. QED.

Doggies got away with it because of their fast, fast ball movement through their mids. We never had that luxury....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #124
I'll forgive your 'knowing i hate casboult', because your comprehension skills are not great. Here's why.
Jack is 18, not 19.

More of Casboults shots go OOB, yes he's taken more, but more go OOB. Your own %'s tell you that. What you are saying suits MY argument, not yours.

I don't buy the rhetoric that Casboult would get a game at any other club or that we'd be stuffed without him. That was the same talk we had when we were going to get rid of Fev. Our best season in recent history came the exact year after we ditched him.

Acknowledging, repeatedly, that Casboult is the best mark in the game is hardly ignoring the good you accuse me of.

Casboult played well. Haven't seen many better games from him.

Answer me this. If a team has their key forward play one of the best games they've had him play. How often does that team lose? How often does that player end up with only 1 goal to his name? The problem i have is that we are celebrating mediocrity.

Casboult tries his guts out more often than not and while he continues to do that i will pick him every game. Same reason i prefer White, Daisy, Fisher types who may not have a complete skill set. That doesn't mean we shouldn't strive for better....and there are better out there.

Without wanting to be petty about it Jack is 19 not 18. Comprehension skills still intact then.

Losing Betts, Garlett, Waite, Fevola, Everitt... and every other forward of any note is not a strategy that has served us well to this point in my opinion. You clearly don't share that view but I'd say having the lowest score in the AFL at the minute is in some way not helped by losing all of our forwards. Losing Casboult would be a disastrous continuation of that problem. Complete and total disaster. Keep him and add to him. Don't lose him to FA for FA.

Stringer, both Reiwoldts, Bruce, Franklin, Toby Greene, Fasolo, Zorko, Sam Reid, Lecras, Martin, Tom Lynch, Waite, McCarthy, Peter Wright and yes Jack Silvagni....... all worse goal kicking accuracy than Cas this year according to the AFL website which I believe takes into account all shots at goal not just goals / behinds.

Reply #125
I don't think Clarkson would countenance Levi even for a second.

And Baggers, fair post.

He took on Tyrone Vickery.   Never say never!
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #126
Without wanting to be petty about it Jack is 19 not 18. Comprehension skills still intact then.

Losing Betts, Garlett, Waite, Fevola, Everitt... and every other forward of any note is not a strategy that has served us well to this point in my opinion. You clearly don't share that view but I'd say having the lowest score in the AFL at the minute is in some way not helped by losing all of our forwards. Losing Casboult would be a disastrous continuation of that problem. Complete and total disaster. Keep him and add to him. Don't lose him to FA for FA.

Stringer, both Reiwoldts, Bruce, Franklin, Toby Greene, Fasolo, Zorko, Sam Reid, Lecras, Martin, Tom Lynch, Waite, McCarthy, Peter Wright and yes Jack Silvagni....... all worse goal kicking accuracy than Cas this year according to the AFL website which I believe takes into account all shots at goal not just goals / behinds.

See this is what i don't get.

People justify keeping casboult because there are 'players worse than him'. Does that sound like a model for success??

OK, you listed 17 players (Tom Lynch x2) who all have worse %'s at goal this season. Fair enough. But, is that the exception or the rule?

You know how many of those same 17 players have a career GA% WORSE than Casboult? Two* J. Silvagni and D. Zorko.

*This doesn't include OOB shots. So when taking that into account, you might find that they all are better than Casboult in GA%.

I'm not making a judgement on Casboult based on this season alone. Its over his whole career. Yes, his % has improved a little this year. It has to improve sometimes, it won't be down every year. However, next year? Year after? Can he EVER be relied upon to kick the goals we need of him.

TBH, a lot of Casboults goals come from big marks in the goals square, or close too. His % should be much higher than most.
I think i read he is 13th for marks inside 50. Given that, you'd think he'd have more set shots than all but 12 players in the league.....which would put him close to the pointy end of the goal kickers list if he could convert. Alas, nowhere near it.

Yes, he is the best we've got.
Yes, he tries hard.
No, he is not a player we can rely on to win us games (through goals) and be a focal point clubs fear.

At the end of the day, its the last point that a player playing his position should be judged on, and that how i'm judging him.

Reply #127
He took on Tyrone Vickery.   Never say never!

Yes, good point. Clearly having an extremely bad day at the office when he decided on that one. Reckon Clarkson would be doing a face palm every time he thinks about it.

Honestly, taking everything into consideration, including recent events for both players, I prefer Levi, and by some margin.

Reply #128
See this is what i don't get.

People justify keeping casboult because there are 'players worse than him'. Does that sound like a model for success??

OK, you listed 17 players (Tom Lynch x2) who all have worse %'s at goal this season. Fair enough. But, is that the exception or the rule?

You know how many of those same 17 players have a career GA% WORSE than Casboult? Two* J. Silvagni and D. Zorko.

*This doesn't include OOB shots. So when taking that into account, you might find that they all are better than Casboult in GA%.

I'm not making a judgement on Casboult based on this season alone. Its over his whole career. Yes, his % has improved a little this year. It has to improve sometimes, it won't be down every year. However, next year? Year after? Can he EVER be relied upon to kick the goals we need of him.

TBH, a lot of Casboults goals come from big marks in the goals square, or close too. His % should be much higher than most.
I think i read he is 13th for marks inside 50. Given that, you'd think he'd have more set shots than all but 12 players in the league.....which would put him close to the pointy end of the goal kickers list if he could convert. Alas, nowhere near it.

Yes, he is the best we've got.
Yes, he tries hard.
No, he is not a player we can rely on to win us games (through goals) and be a focal point clubs fear.

At the end of the day, its the last point that a player playing his position should be judged on, and that how i'm judging him.

"See this is what I don't get"... is a logical argument that is based on fact but doesn't fit your bias against one of our players. Tigers supporters eat their own at the drop of a hat - you should switch. Seriously switch.

Reply #129
Why are we down the bottom of the ladder?

We have superstars Cripps, Gibbs and Murphy in the middle.

The best ruckman in the comp in Kreuzer.

The best HBF in Docherty with Simpson right up there.

The best kids in the comp according to the rising star award.

Why are we still crap?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #130

Why are we still crap?

Because they're still kids ;)

Reply #131

Why are we still crap?

Ball use.

And let's be honest ome or both of Murphy and Gibbs go missing far more than they turn up.... and our midfield depth remains ordinary.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #132

Why are we still crap?
Malcom Blight said all you have to do is kick more goals than the opposition and you win.
Pretty simple, unfortunately we struggle in that department.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #133

Why are we still crap?

Plus add in probably the best defensive structure in the comp and a respected coaching team, its now clear we are very close to being a force if we can fill a few important gaps. 

Amazing transformation considering we are not even 2 years into what most thought (including me) would be at least 4 years of pain.

What we are witnessing with our kids development is what I was praying we would see end of next year but most likely in 2019. Charlie, SOJ, Marchbank and Williamson in particular are playing like they are 60 - 80 game footballers not first and second year players.

Thought the marque player talk was premature for this trade period but not anymore. I would go hard after Kelly and Hopper considering where I think we are now at. We cant miss the boat on Kelly as I haven't heard many A grade mids that will be available the following trade period so hopefully we pounce.

Nab 2 strong trades, manage to keep Gibbs, get another season into Cunningham, Fisher, SPS, McCreadie and hopefully McKay gets going and watch out.    

I'm rapt with our clubs direction and progress and reckon someone like Kelly would see what we are all seeing which puts us in a much stronger position.

Reply #134
We sit 9th for points conceded - how exactly is this the best defensive structure in the comp ?

Bolton may yet turn out to be the best AFL coach ever, but if nothing else, at this point in time, he's a master of spin.