Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 17 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs West Coast (Read 5014 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 17 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs West Coast

Reply #30
My final comment will piss people off, but i am happy to revisit and requote at the end of the year for those who are going to abuse me now.  Here it is:  "We will not make finals in 2022" after losing this pathetic game to Richmond.  I'm serious.  We need 4 more wins.  Where are they coming from ?  Maybe WC is one.  Maybe.  Adelaide?  Good luck with that on their ground.  Rest of them... doubtful.    We had an easy draw and bathed in the glory. 

2 more to go.

Reply #31
The loses we had recently will cost us dearly, Freo will be entrenched in the Top 4 now and that will mean interstate finals for those on outside.

Tough gig coming this week, Handbaggers have two rucks in top form, Cameron in top form, and they won't turn over the footy so easily as some other opponents.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #32
I reckon we match up well on them
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #33
Got it done which is what good teams do.  Put the foot down when needed and our leaders who for so many years we have been crying out for lifted and put the game beyond doubt.

If you want to find negatives you will find them but not many teams play a perfect game and once we add in Pit, McGovern, Owies and Williams back in this team we will be a dangerous opponent come finals.

Sometimes we lose sight of where this team is - We are still at least a few years from when this list should be peaking and yet deep into the season the destiny in still in our hands to secure a top 4 spot and from there anything can happen.  Who would of thought at this stage last year.

This is a very even year and the year where a flag could be won from outside the 4 and we are the team no one will want to play. If we have close to a full team we are right in this.  

Reply #34
This was the first game of the season where I was genuinely concerned about our chances.  West Coast have been steadily getting their better players back and their performances over the last month or so have been pretty good.  In fact, their best footy is very good, as they showed in the second quarter.

Despite still missing many of our first choice players, our second quarter lapse, and playing on West Coast's own dungheap, we delivered a good old-fashioned flogging.

x2.

I was concerned as well. With Saints and Tigers loosing it became such an important game for us to win to put us 2 games clear of Tigers in 8th place. Percentage now looking a bit more healthy.

Reply #35
When was the last time we turned a 3 goal 3/4 time lead into a thumping (10gl + win)? Great sign.

Bam Bam and Hewie were outstanding all day. Walshy and Crippa imposed themselves with a fierce final qtr in particular. Good to see Cerra return to form, he's so important.

I thought TDK was incredibly instrumental in the win. Thus far, an incredible success story for the season.

The big winner was our brand; our way. Great to hear from an opposing senior coach that, 'We knew what Carlton would bring, they're a very honest side, very hard at it, we prepared for that (paraphrased a bit).' We're gaining respect which was a stated goal at the beginning of the year.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #36
When was the last time we turned a 3 goal 3/4 time lead into a thumping (10gl + win)? Great sign.

Bam Bam and Hewie were outstanding all day. Walshy and Crippa imposed themselves with a fierce final qtr in particular. Good to see Cerra return to form, he's so important.

I thought TDK was incredibly instrumental in the win. Thus far, an incredible success story for the season.

The big winner was our brand; our way. Great to hear from an opposing senior coach that, 'We knew what Carlton would bring, they're a very honest side, very hard at it, we prepared for that (paraphrased a bit).' We're gaining respect which was a stated goal at the beginning of the year.
Ill just add one more, SOS. Another great game, maturity beyond his years.
Ill say this, if we make finals, the importance of SOS will be realised by all. He is made for finals footy.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #37
I thought Cripps and Walsh were less imposing than usual until the final quarter and then they both turned it on.

TDK was all over NicNat in the first term but not so in the second - definitely came again in the second half.

Saad surprisingly quiet for a change.

I thought Williams changed the momentum in the second quarter when he was rucking.
Bit of a rough edge to him and we rucked Jack for too long, NicNat is overhyped imo and while he gets his share of hitouts I thought TDK was better value for 4 quarters.

Reply #38
Just a quick acknowledgment of Will Hayes in his first game for us.

I wasn’t convinced that he’d done enough to get a game but he certainly didn’t look out of place in his last quarter cameo.

There may not have been as much pressure from the opposition when he came on, but he seemed to have plenty of time and his decision-making was good.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #39
I thought Williams changed the momentum in the second quarter when he was rucking.
Bit of a rough edge to him and we rucked Jack for too long, NicNat is overhyped imo and while he gets his share of hitouts I thought TDK was better value for 4 quarters.
I've been watching the replay and I think this is pretty accurate. Early in the second quarter Jack got smashed in the ruck. It got the Weagles' confidence up. Bailey Williams looked like he has a future as a ruckman.
NicNat looked fat today. I've never seen him with real belly fat before. He is a lazy player. Honestly, with his physical gifts, he could have been the best ruckman in history, had he had the desire. He's been a top ruck, but he is capable of so much more.
NicNat got his confidence up later in the second quarter and early in the third, but Tom really stepped up from about half way through the third.
One of the things that NicNat does well when he's on top is direct his taps to advantage. It was one of the reasons that Cripps and Walsh didn't get as much ball; the taps went directly down a Weagle throat.
Willi Rioli is another guy who is carrying a real gut. Granted, he has always been a little heavier, but he really looks like he's been eating a few too many Maccas. He makes Whitnall's skinfolds look good.

Jack Silvagni was very ordinary early in this game, but he was one who stepped up when it mattered. Unfortunately, teams no longer get put off when Jack rucks. The sooner Marc Pittonet is ready, the better.

Jacob Weitering was really rusty. He did a reasonable job, but he as nowhere near his best. He will be better for the run. Young, on the other hand, defended very well. He didn't get a lot of ball himself, but he got to a lot of contested and did the job nicely.

Cerra and Hewett had good ones, as did Kennedy. But they get a lot of possessions that don't stand out. I'm not complaining, as they the work they do is indispensable. But, one day, they might get on the end sometimes and get the kudos they deserve.

Our three whipping boys, Cottrell, Newnes and O'Brien had quieter games today. But I wouldn't looking to drop any of them yet. Cottrell didn't get the possessions, but did some excellent defensive things. O'Brien was very good early, but drifted out of the game. Newnes got a corky early and didn't have the day he wanted.
One thing to their disadvantage was that Hayes came on and got 5 possessions in less than a quarter.

I still like the look of Bazzo. If he wants to come East and play for a decent club, he would fit in nicely.

I can't remember the last time Saad was as quiet as this, but I guess it didn't get down there in the 1st and last quarters. Still, our small defenders did a great job at smothering the Weagles' small forwards.

We still have some work to turn our inside 50's into scores. Especially in the first quarter. We really need to be more unpredictable when we got forward, lower the eyes. Bombing the ball would be OK if our small forwards got goals from them, but they don't.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #40
After a rusty start last week it was nice to see Cerra back doing what he does best, distributing.

Attended 14 centre bounces. Last week he attended zero. 
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #41
I can't remember the last time Saad was as quiet as this, but I guess it didn't get down there in the 1st and last quarters. Still, our small defenders did a great job at smothering the Weagles' small forwards.
Such are opposition tactics.

I don't think Saad was quiet as much as Wet Toast dragged him up the field to keep him away from the fall of the ball, he seemed to spend all day turning to run back under the footy to get back to the contest. It didn't really work, because I thought Doc and Newman, were pretty dominant and well supported by Plowman and Weiters coming off their direct opponents. Cottrell also ran deep to help out at both ends. Voss would probably be happy in this regard.

I thought Motlop was better this week, but I still can't see Motlop or Honey holding Owies out if we can get him fit. If I had to make one criticism we did not make enough of a lot of ground ball opportunities inside our F50, for that reason Owies must come back in.

When the pressure was on I thought the biggest influence on the game was our panic, we failed to give off the footy multiple times and it turned certain scores into opposition rebounds which let Wet Toast back into the game. We just need to stay calm and do the basics.

I didn't see the midfield as being dominant for us, for me excluding a short period in the 2nd Qtr it was a nil-all draw in there which to me is a TDK / SoJ win. Most of the genuine scoring came from turnovers or stoppages in general play, Doc was pretty good today, so I probably should have given him votes.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #42
I liked Saads game and it shows why is he is such a good footballer that he could sacrifice his own game to concentrate on defending the likes of the dangerous Ryan and Rioli.
Been value for dollar has Saad which is more than I can say for a few other notable signings and if the AA panel dont select him in the final 22 then they dont have a clue...

Reply #43
I thought there was a lot of love from our boys for Samo after the game.
Reality always wins in the end.