Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 17 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs West Coast (Read 5284 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 17 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs West Coast

Reply #60
Spot on DJC....the Voss stamp on things is pretty clear IMHO. He was a ruthless competitor. Saw Chris Scott on The Front Bar a couple of weeks back and he said as much when asked about who was the best of the Lions in those years. It's strange when you think back to late last year when all the talk was about who would be coach. I wasn't sold on Voss at the time but geez he hasn't done much wrong. There's still a few things to be ironed out but when you consider the players that we've had unavailable throughout the year, it's a pretty good result to be one game off the top of the ladder. I think 11 wins is on a par with 2013 and we've still got 6 games to go.
I'll put my hand up and say I was far from convinced in Voss as well.
Imo he almost single handedly ruined the lions by recruiting some over the hill bloke named fevola and sent plenty of talent packing (indirectly, or directly) as a result.
Now I still stand by that.

...and he may well do the same thing here if/when given the opportunity. However, I'd like to think he has learned from those mistakes and his interaction with players seems to be proof that his focus has changed since his early coaching days.

In terms of actual coaching results, you cant really fault him.

Reply #61
Spot on DJC....the Voss stamp on things is pretty clear IMHO. He was a ruthless competitor. Saw Chris Scott on The Front Bar a couple of weeks back and he said as much when asked about who was the best of the Lions in those years. It's strange when you think back to late last year when all the talk was about who would be coach. I wasn't sold on Voss at the time but geez he hasn't done much wrong. There's still a few things to be ironed out but when you consider the players that we've had unavailable throughout the year, it's a pretty good result to be one game off the top of the ladder. I think 11 wins is on a par with 2013 and we've still got 6 games to go.

I think a bit of the indifference towards Voss last year stemmed for the fact that some may have still regarded him as that young Brisbane coach, fresh from playing.
He would have grown and learned a lot in the subsequent years.
Like players, you develop with the experience.

The successful Carlton coach was always going to have a bit of luck attached to it.
The right man, in the right place, with the right list, at the right time.
We're not totally there yet, but there's every indication that the 'planets might just have aligned' to produce that outcome.

Reply #62
I think a bit of the indifference towards Voss last year stemmed for the fact that some may have still regarded him as that young Brisbane coach, fresh from playing.
He would have grown and learned a lot in the subsequent years.
Like players, you develop with the experience.

The successful Carlton coach was always going to have a bit of luck attached to it.
The right man, in the right place, with the right list, at the right time.
We're not totally there yet, but there's every indication that the 'planets might just have aligned' to produce that outcome.
I trusted Cook's endorsement.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #63
Lets be realistic Voss was last man standing territory after Clarkson, Lyon all bailed on the job for different reasons and wasnt a popular pick with a lot of supporters either given his previous history as a coach at Brisbane where he made some horrendous recruiting decisions and buggered the club up for a fair period.
However his skillset has proven what we need given he was an aggressive hard midfielder himself and we were a talented list in the making but playing a soft bruise free brand. He seems to have learned to leave the recruiting to the experts and has a good team of assistants headed by Hansen and off field he doesnt have to think about much with Cook running a stable administration finally and the Prez after a poor start also learning to leave it to the experts.
Its about building a finals team that can play repeat finals series now and stay in the window imho,

Reply #64
Lets be realistic Voss was last man standing territory after Clarkson, Lyon all bailed on the job for different reasons and wasnt a popular pick with a lot of supporters either given his previous history as a coach at Brisbane where he made some horrendous recruiting decisions and buggered the club up for a fair period.
However his skillset has proven what we need given he was an aggressive hard midfielder himself and we were a talented list in the making but playing a soft bruise free brand. He seems to have learned to leave the recruiting to the experts and has a good team of assistants headed by Hansen and off field he doesnt have to think about much with Cook running a stable administration finally and the Prez after a poor start also learning to leave it to the experts.
Its about building a finals team that can play repeat finals series now and stay in the window imho,
I'm not sure about that EB. Sayers wanted to get candidates to be interviewed, Lyon refused because he didn't want to face the questioning from the women on the panel. Had he agreed to be interviewed, Vossy would have slaughtered Lyon in that regard. I'm not so sure Cook would have been so keen to endorse him either over Voss. Clarko was the man they wanted but his heart wasn't in it. In hindsight, I am glad they chose Voss.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #65
We should have hired Voss when we hired Teague.  Wasted 2 years as a result.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #66
We should have hired Voss when we hired Teague.  Wasted 2 years as a result.
We could've hired Voss when we hired ratten too.
It was a case of 3rd time lucky for vossy.

Reply #67
I'm not sure about that EB. Sayers wanted to get candidates to be interviewed, Lyon refused because he didn't want to face the questioning from the women on the panel. Had he agreed to be interviewed, Vossy would have slaughtered Lyon in that regard. I'm not so sure Cook would have been so keen to endorse him either over Voss. Clarko was the man they wanted but his heart wasn't in it. In hindsight, I am glad they chose Voss.
GTC...We went after Brad Scott as well and got told No as he wanted an AFL admin career and Don Pyke also didnt want it.......
Appreciate Lyon wasnt comfortable having his dirty Freo laundry on display but I think if he had gone through the interview process he would have got close to getting the job but was also happy working in the media and his property company job.
As I said I think Voss was the last choice after we got told No by all the others and were down to candidates like Adam Kingsley and Collingwood had taken McRae..

Reply #68
I'll put my hand up and say I was far from convinced in Voss as well.
Imo he almost single handedly ruined the lions by recruiting some over the hill bloke named fevola and sent plenty of talent packing (indirectly, or directly) as a result.
Now I still stand by that.

...and he may well do the same thing here if/when given the opportunity. However, I'd like to think he has learned from those mistakes and his interaction with players seems to be proof that his focus has changed since his early coaching days.

In terms of actual coaching results, you cant really fault him.
To me, he seems to have pulled his head in considerably since those days coaching the Lions - he just displayed sheer arrogance with the signing of Fev and all the BS that followed.

Reply #69
This was the first game of the season where I was genuinely concerned about our chances.  West Coast have been steadily getting their better players back and their performances over the last month or so have been pretty good.  In fact, their best footy is very good, as they showed in the second quarter.

Despite still missing many of our first choice players, our second quarter lapse, and playing on West Coast's own dungheap, we delivered a good old-fashioned flogging.

My thoughts exactly.
So impressed to see the boys turn it on from the first bounce. Better still they went up another gear q4. Just sensational with much stacked against us. Winning away, especially when you can't get a training run on the ground, is worth 2 wins at home.  
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #70

I think that's largely false media speculation EB.  Clarkson, Buckley and Scott were never genuine candidates and Lyon ruled himself out when he realised that Greg Williams was intending to go through a proper selection process (Lyon probably realised that Diesel would see right through him).  The real contenders for the job were Voss, King and Giansiracusa.

A few supporters may have thought that Voss's time at Brisbane meant that he would never be a senior coach again.  Many thought that his experience as Brisbane's senior coach, his highly valued work as an assistant coach at Port Adelaide, and his stellar playing career made him the ideal person to make our club competitive again, and that has proved to be the case.

Of course, Voss's assistants are a huge improvement over what Bolton and Teague had (with the possible exception of Craig), but that's largely down to Voss understanding what was required and getting his own way.

And I don't think we played soft, bruise-free footy under Bolton and Teague; we played hard but without much purpose or direction.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #71
You have to be very careful when analysis is based on media commentary, the media isn't impartial, it is not just reporting the facts, in fact the AFL section of the media is far from impartial, it's usually a jobs for the boys setup and they spin stories to look after each others reputation.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #72
To me, he seems to have pulled his head in considerably since those days coaching the Lions - he just displayed sheer arrogance with the signing of Fev and all the BS that followed.

I wouldn't call it arrogance.  I dont think he thought it would be easy.  It just showed how big a leap coaching can be from playing.

Fev was arguably the best key forward in the game at the time and we were cutting him loose.

Voss was only guilty of being immature and expecting that people would put aside their differences and simply fall into line behind brown. 

Why?  Because he played in a similar environment where the Indians fell in or fell out and everyone pulled together.

Odds are he knew there was trouble early and didn't know how to correct it which led to his downfall.

Its possible that this learning has been way more important than anything else he may or may not have done before or after.

Leigh matthews is regarded as a great coach, but even he struggled to coach Collingwood to anything of note in a time when coaching wasn't the caper it has become in the modern era.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #73
Leigh matthews is regarded as a great coach, but even he struggled to coach Collingwood to anything of note in a time when coaching wasn't the caper it has become in the modern era.
Lethal is also a big advocate for potential coaches to go and learn the trade through an apprenticeship away from the club you played for, that's two things Voss had running against him in his first gig, he never served an apprenticeship and he walked straight into the top job at the club he had played for with zero experience.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #74
We could've hired Voss when we hired ratten too.
It was a case of 3rd time lucky for vossy.

Voss needed to do an apprenticeship which he missed out on by getting the Lions gig too early.  The years under Hinkley at Port Adelaide, while they were contenders, have been instrumental in creating the coach we have now.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?