Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 14 2023 Post Game Passion Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 4705 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 14 2023 Post Game Passion Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #45
The fans certainly have a real soft spot for Dow and by the look of the after game celebrations so do his team mates.  I'm really hoping Voss and co have used the sub option for other reasons then what us arm chair experts only see.  Could it be a personal tactic to help develop him breaking his game down to a full out burst on a 1/4 of a game to set a bar on what is needed and if he is capable.  In bursts he shows he can be a damaging midfielder just hoping he can emulate it for longer periods then he has shown in the past

Dow is one player that will be busting his as5 with any chance he gets for the remainder of the year and im hoping Voss has not yet put a line through him and gives him the second half of the year before making a call.

TDK showed why he is wanted commodity on the open market. As a ruckman he still has a lot of growth yet to come but around the ground and especially forward he is a dangerous option and one opposition defenders need to keep their eye on when he floats forward.

Clumsy Pit on the other hand has one tool in his tool kit and once the bounce is over he is pretty much useless.

TDK is not the full package yet and may be earning more then he is worth for now but If you take the blue glasses off you can clearly see the major point of difference between between our 2 ruckman. TDK ceiling is high and being in the Gawn/English mould can see why he is going to get a healthy contract.

I hope we can retain him but think its unlikely.  

Reply #46
Clumsy Pit on the other hand has one tool in his tool kit and once the bounce is over he is pretty much useless.
That's not fair on Pitto, he's fine when used to his strengths, but he is not a running type ruck. He needs to be in the push and shove and floating across CHB to take away opposition space.

Last weekend was the first time this season we've used the two rucks to their best advantage, Pitto controlling the opposition momentum and TDK attacking.

By the end of the game TDK was gaining confidence and also clunked an intercept mark.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #47
That's not fair on Pitto, he's fine when used to his strengths, but he is not a running type ruck. He needs to be in the push and shove and floating across CHB to take away opposition space.

Last weekend was the first time this season we've used the two rucks to their best advantage, Pitto controlling the opposition momentum and TDK attacking.

By the end of the game TDK was gaining confidence and also clunked an intercept mark.
And managed to sit Witts on his ass 2 or 3 times with some fair bumps, the one on the interchange wing in the 3rd qtr (I think) was a beauty.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #48
Good way to start the week!

Too many positives outta that one to list (not hard after the last 6 weeks) but all of the issues that WERE a problem, we overcame them in that game.

Mids dominated and nearly all hit the scoreboard. No reliance on Harry and Charlie to kick all the goals....8 or 9 different goalkickers....can't remember the last time that happened. Set shot kicking for the most part was spot on....even by blokes like Cripps and Cottrell who can often spray them.

IMO that was Kemp's best game for us and he looks to have grown in confidence in the last month....he's taking the game on, using his run to advantage and his kicking has been a feature. In fact, him, Cincotta and Boyd were all good yesterday and used the ball well. I was suggesting Doc to go back yesterday but their efforts freed Doc up who played a great game through the middle.

While they weren't huge in disposals, I thought Cunningham and Fogarty offered a point of difference yesterday...something we haven't had with Fisher and Motlop in recent weeks.

TDK's best game in awhile and even though beaten in a lot of the ruck contests, he got around the ground and hit the scoreboard too.

And maybe we just have to temper the expectations with Jack Martin and realise he's can be a low possesion, high impact player....he offers a bit of X-factor that we don't really have on the list. Some of his stuff yesterday, especially early, was really good.

And rapt to see Dow's effort too. 8 possessions in the last quarter....he couldn't have done much more and was very effective. He looked to enjoy it and get some confidence. At one point in the last quarter on TV you could hear the crowd give him a big cheer too. I'd like to see him in the starting 22 but hard to see us making too many changes for the next game.

Reply #49
Have watched the game a couple of times now. After 6 weeks of pain can you blame me? Here are my observations for what it's worth
Acres - OK but needs to kick less and handball more
Boyd - I like this kid for his drive, his pace and his kicking. Think he could potentially end up on ball but we'll see. Some not sold on him yet but until he starts to butcher it he's a lock.
Cerra - Great. Clearly has the John Nicholls medal in the bag. Much like when we picked up Saad didn't think he was worth it but concede I was wrong.
Cincotta - Very much like him at the moment and like Boyd has some toe and kicks well. He likes to take em on and uses well in most cases.
Cottrell - Had a couple of average weeks prior but yesterday he was very good.
Cripps - Just a different player. Does that mean he's no longer injured? When he's playing like that AND kicking goals it's a joy to watch. How is it so?
Cuningham - A couple of his disposals were wayward but overall a solid return. He has some really nice moves, baulks well, sells candy, can improve.
Curnow - Pretty good. Looked dangerous at times and could have had a real big game but at times he hangs back when the ball is coming in instead of moving towards the kicker. Annoying. Over thinks things at times as well.
De Koning - Pretty damn good. Took marks early and I think it lifts his confidence. Better than Pitt on the day
Docherty - The luxury of him around the contest instead of on a HBF is a real bonus. Very good game.
Dow - 2 weeks in a row as the super-sub has proven he may have a future? Does he get a real game?
Fogarty - Got his chance and did pretty well
Kemp - Great game on someone twice his size in most cases. His run-down and tackle on Sexton in the last was a real highlight for me. Brilliant.
Kennedy - Got better as the game went on and by the end was back to his best I thought.
Martin - I hope he stays fit because he has the skills and brains to be a real influence. I also hope Motlop watches the tape to see how a small forward is supposed to operate. Front and centre at the feet of the forwards
McGovern - Pretty solid but gee, some of those kicks of his are absolutely atrocious. Just tries to be too clever IMO.
McKay - Better game for Harry. Hope he can get some more confidence and continue on for the rest of the year.
Newman- Really good return, Suprised by how quickly he slotted back in. Some of his kicks were sublime.
Owies - Serviceable
Pittonet - Battled against Witts. Probably our weakest link.
Saad - Effective kick. Hard runner. Typical solid effort.
Walsh - Porbably his best game for quite some time. Effective user of the ball. Just wished he had've kicked that last shot on goal.Deserved it.
Weitering - Beat King, pretty much. I do think his kicking can be very flaky at times, but still a world better to where he was 3 weeks ago.

Overall an impressive performance but all the planets seemed to be in alignment. Team selection looks to have sorted some of our issues with speed and ball use but for how long? Not happy about having the bye and no confidence against the Hawks. If Sicily stays suspended then I may have a little bit more optimism.

Lets enjoy the next 2 weeks

Reply #50
GC have an 18% winning percentage away from home. Bookies had us as favourites even with our horrible form.
A bit of perspective along with the hysteria of winning needed imho.
We had way more possessions but only a few more inside 50s so we are still fecking around with the  ball too much and both teams were down on contested and uncontested possession averages.
I want to see way more evidence that we are competitive vs decent teams before we award the likes of Boyd, Martin etc accolades like some want to do based on one game vs a team that away from home are one level up from West Coast...

Absolutely. A sobering perspective. Yes, we need to reproduce that performance against top notch opposition. But it was a step in the right direction. Hopefully it gives the boys some confidence... especially with boldness and tackle pressure... and kicking straight for goal!

I liked that after qtr time, we became the hunters...
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #51
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/06/18/cornes-and-lyon-break-down-carltons-out-of-the-box-performance/

Not in any way a Cornes fan, but I do enjoy cherry picking the bits I like, and this is one of them :

“Then in the second quarter, they played as good a football as you've seen any team play this year.

We may as well savour the moment. It's hard to know how many more wins we'll have this year.

Reply #52

TDK showed why he is wanted commodity on the open market. As a ruckman he still has a lot of growth yet to come but around the ground and especially forward he is a dangerous option and one opposition defenders need to keep their eye on when he floats forward.

Thought Pitto was well beaten by Witts who was too strong against Pitto's main strength.

Impressed by TDK who used Witts' lack of mobility against him - especially at boundary throw-ins by detaching himself and then using his speed to get around his opponent to take prime position.

Reply #53
I think when discussing the job our blokes did on Witts, it's not just about stopping them, by continually harassing Witts and draining his strength he wasn't able to freely impose himself on Cripps, Cerra, Walsh and Kennedy, they had corridors of space to move in.

This is why the non-tap related stuff is so much more important than the hitouts.

When our Mids are free to go about their business without fear or hesitation, the taps become meaningless!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #54
I think when discussing the job our blokes did on Witts, it's not just about stopping them, by continually harassing Witts and draining his strength he wasn't able to freely impose himself of Cripps, Cerra, Walsh and Kennedy, they had corridors of space to move in.

This is why the non-tap related stuff is so much more important than the hitouts.

When our Mids are free to go about their business without fear or hesitation, the taps become meaningless!
Spot on...keeping him out of the midfield hurly burly made it easier for our mids to have access to the ball and not have Witts shepherding and using his body to block opponents. He plays a bit like Nankervis who is no athlete but always has his big frame in packs being a nusiance to opposing onballers. I think it harder to do when GC play at home with the warmer conditions suiting them and teams are forced to rotate more players on and off the park and Witts being used to the heat doesnt tire as quickly.

Reply #55
we won great BUT we still kick to contest going forward ,we have no forward craft i will not be convinced until we beat a good side at least martin and cunners survived.

Reply #56
Absolutely. A sobering perspective. Yes, we need to reproduce that performance against top notch opposition. But it was a step in the right direction. Hopefully it gives the boys some confidence... especially with boldness and tackle pressure... and kicking straight for goal!

I liked that after qtr time, we became the hunters...
For me, I saw the players demeanor go from unsure, to confident to almost arrogant (ie owning the game) in 3 1/2 qtrs.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #57
[4] Dow should get a go next week. His last quarter was pretty good: he had as many possessions as Martin had in 3 quarters. That said, Martin was so much more dangerous this week.

Almost every one of Martin's disposals ended up with a positive result for us, although there was more than a bit of luck attached to his shot at goal from just inside 50.  Two of Paddy's disposals found a target; a handball to Cripps and a kick that Charlie took on the bounce.  The rest were 40m kicks to contests and he wasn't really under pressure.  Paddy has to make his possessions count.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #58
we won great BUT we still kick to contest going forward ,we have no forward craft i will not be convinced until we beat a good side at least martin and cunners survived.
Yeah I dont agree with all of that. I think the fwd craft has always been there but for the most part but the poor delivery has messed up the finishing off. When the delivery was fast and clean this week, we saw plenty of fwd craft with the bigs and smalls in sync. Martins gather off Charlie's hands and dish off to Harry for a goal was sublime (such is his talent). Agree lets hope Cunners and Martin can remain uninjured and make through every game to the years end. DC definitely added another dimension. Like me, you may have blinked and missed his run, gather and dish off on the half back line in the 3rd qtr, I couldn't believe my eyes and had to watch it again. The bloke oozes class and speed, exactly what we need. May the the footy gods bless him with some luck FFS.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #59
Thought Pitto was well beaten by Witts who was too strong against Pitto's main strength.

Impressed by TDK who used Witts' lack of mobility against him - especially at boundary throw-ins by detaching himself and then using his speed to get around his opponent to take prime position.

Very true RR!

Witts was simply too strong for Pitto and Tom used his athleticism to advantage against Witts ... and our mids sharked many of Witts's hitouts.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball