Skip to main content
Topic: R8 - Blues vs Saints (Monday night mauling?) (Read 56608 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: R8 - Blues vs Saints (Monday night mauling?)

Reply #60
These Monday night games are usually our undoing.
A good start and I think Saints heads will drop.
Give them a sniff though, and we're doomed.
The fact that we go into a game against a side whose just been pummelled by 145 points, and still are unsure as to if we re going to win or not, shows just how sad of a Club we are right now.

The feeling in my stomach is that the Saints will come out hard to save the coaches life. They will fight every contest and we might not even get a sniff of the footy. Just a feeling and a bad one at that. 2 and 6 before the bye will be a long and needed rest, and we will be about as low as we can get. I hope I am horribly wrong. Really do hope at the moment. can't dream to think we are as bad as Richmond. Worse is the fact we couldn't beat them. ???
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #61
The fact that we go into a game against a side whose just been pummelled by 145 points, and still are unsure as to if we re going to win or not, shows just how sad of a Club we are right now.

The feeling in my stomach is that the Saints will come out hard to save the coaches life. They will fight every contest and we might not even get a sniff of the footy. Just a feeling and a bad one at that. 2 and 6 before the bye will be a long and needed rest, and we will be about as low as we can get. I hope I am horribly wrong. Really do hope at the moment. can't dream to think we are as bad as Richmond. Worse is the fact we couldn't beat them. ???

I suspect we'll lose to the Saints. They'll be hurting after that mauling and feeling good about playing Carlton. It's a well known fact they don't fear us (former player confirmed that). Carlton don't run hard enough and the feeling was if you put the torch onto Carlton we fold. I have to say that's proven fairly accurate over the last couple of years. God help us when we play Hawthorn.

Reply #62
Defining game for both clubs.
We must smash them if our list wants respect.
A close win won't earn respect, but a pass.
A loss be it a belting or not will confirm that we are serious contenders for the spoon.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #63
Think we will win pretty easy TBH.

Will Be nice to play a game against them and not have BB McEvoy take 2 billion marks.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #64

The Saints don't have to save their coach's life; he was employed to rebuild the list.  Unlike our coach who was drafted in to win a premiership  :P

Yes, our list has deficiencies but it's not just another KPP and a ruckman who can mark.  It's players with hardness and a bit of mongrel that we need.  Until we get them, opposition teams will always have physicality as their fallback when playing us.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #65
Think we will win pretty easy TBH.

Will Be nice to play a game against them and not have BB McEvoy take 2 billion marks.

Hope you're right Cimm - but hasn't McEvoy improved since he went to Hawthorn!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #66
DJC, rebuilding a list by being absolutely thumped will only last so long before questions are asked. Its not like they have no forward target that can kick goals. Sure they are a side without any depth. They are not GWS or GCS in their first season either. Either way we lose to them and the media will be hunting down our club for some serious please explain, and we will need to have some answers. Even more so the supporters will want to hear what we say.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #67
Wood managed 73 hitouts in the VFL last match. What about rewarding his efforts? He can kick straight, and can take a mark.

With that number of hitouts in a losing side you'd have to wonder how well they were directed.
It doesn't look like we had the advantage that type of dominance would suggest.

Fun trivia fact
Most hitouts in an AFL  game- Gary Dempsey (Nortyh Melb) 63 ....but Hawthorn won the match 32-14-206 to North 15-22-112

I'm not suggested we should expect similar from him if he was picked for us, but you gotta reward his effort. He'd be backup to Warnock and would spend time down forward. (essentially the same role Casboult is playing now). The main reason for his inclusion, besides reward for effort, is to have an increased output in front of goals. In short, he can kick!

Not against the move at all Kruds,
I was more interested in the dominance of Wood, just from a statistical viewpoint,  and wondered why it didn't have an impact on the result.
Just wouldn't pick him solely on the basis of the hitout numbers, and a few folk have suggested that he didn't do much around the ground.
I'm not picking him based solely on the hitout numbers...but the reason those numbers stand out is of interest. 73 hitouts meant he got to 73 contests. That shows some decent running/endurance abilities in itself. I'm sure we're well aware that he wouldn't have won every contest, so he may have made it to 100 contests, winning 73% of them. Shows the kind of hard working efforts that we require at senior level.

As for why he didn't do much around the ground....was probably stuffed for rucking solo all game. He won't have that problem in the 1's.

Prefer a bloke who can take a mark around the ground. I'll go with Casboult to back up Warnock. Sure Warnock will  win alot of taps too but that'll be it.

Reply #68
Losing Hickey and Geary will hurt them.
If Yazz, Waite and Carrots are fit and come into the side, reckon we will win and win well.
A forward line with Hendo and Waite would be too much for their undersized defense to handle.

Reply #69
If Waite has really done his back then we may not get much out of him. Christou was never the same...

Reply #70
O'Rowe and O'White are stop gaps for this season and will continue to get games as O'Watson, O'Bootsma and O' McInnes are not up to it.....the former both have a crack and follow coaches instructions to the best of their ability...problme being those abilities are limited.
O'Giles is a rebounding defender along the lines of O'McCarthy and will need to harden up to play senior footy and put some kegs on that frame of his.

What about that new player on Friday night... O'No - been getting plenty of it this year!

Reply #71
If Waite has really done his back then we may not get much out of him. Christou was never the same...

Waite has been struggling with back issues for a few years now.

Reply #72
Wood managed 73 hitouts in the VFL last match. What about rewarding his efforts? He can kick straight, and can take a mark.

With that number of hitouts in a losing side you'd have to wonder how well they were directed.
It doesn't look like we had the advantage that type of dominance would suggest.

Fun trivia fact
Most hitouts in an AFL  game- Gary Dempsey (Nortyh Melb) 63 ....but Hawthorn won the match 32-14-206 to North 15-22-112

I'm not suggested we should expect similar from him if he was picked for us, but you gotta reward his effort. He'd be backup to Warnock and would spend time down forward. (essentially the same role Casboult is playing now). The main reason for his inclusion, besides reward for effort, is to have an increased output in front of goals. In short, he can kick!

Not against the move at all Kruds,
I was more interested in the dominance of Wood, just from a statistical viewpoint,  and wondered why it didn't have an impact on the result.
Just wouldn't pick him solely on the basis of the hitout numbers, and a few folk have suggested that he didn't do much around the ground.
I'm not picking him based solely on the hitout numbers...but the reason those numbers stand out is of interest. 73 hitouts meant he got to 73 contests. That shows some decent running/endurance abilities in itself. I'm sure we're well aware that he wouldn't have won every contest, so he may have made it to 100 contests, winning 73% of them. Shows the kind of hard working efforts that we require at senior level.

As for why he didn't do much around the ground....was probably stuffed for rucking solo all game. He won't have that problem in the 1's.

Prefer a bloke who can take a mark around the ground. I'll go with Casboult to back up Warnock. Sure Warnock will  win alot of taps too but that'll be it.

Love to see Casboult play a full game forward, without having to run all over the ground like a mule in the ruck for half of the game - ffs give the guy a chance to succeed. Don't see any other CHF doing it, so not sure why we expect it of Levi.

Reply #73

Love to see Casboult play a full game forward, without having to run all over the ground like a mule in the ruck for half of the game - ffs give the guy a chance to succeed. Don't see any other CHF doing it, so not sure why we expect it of Levi.

THIS^^^^^^^
Yes please.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #74

THIS^^^^^^^
Yes please.

Unfortunately I reckon if he doesn't ruck MM might not play him.

We appear to lack run and TBH I reckon us having 1 ruckman and the WCE having 2.5 one us the game.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................