Skip to main content
Topic: Round 17 Carlton vs Hawthorn Pre Game Pontifications (Read 35984 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 17 Carlton vs Hawthorn Pre Game Pontifications

Reply #90
If the president exerts his influence we will have a different coach irrespective of the process. 

More than the one agenda behind decision too.

So we're still a club divided? ::)

Reply #91
So we're still a club divided? ::)

I don't think it means we're divided. We find that out later if we're divided, whether people at the club support the decision (be it of the team or iron fist) or work to undermine.

Reply #92
Reckon JK is around the corner.
Tutts been Ok.
jones  is here whether we like it or not.
BB showed some good form in the VFL.

Anyway, just think people are being unrealistic with the how many personnel changes are possible given the state of the list and injuries.

Who would have thought 6 weeks ago we'd be getting games into Walsh, Fields, Holman, graham (if he wasn't injured) .

I'm pretty happy with what's going on.

I'm happy with the young blokes being played but not a fan of Tutt or Jones and would be working on a way to move them on.

Reply #93
If the president exerts his influence we will have a different coach irrespective of the process. 

That tells me he must have a specific individual in mind?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #94
That tells me he must have a specific individual in mind?

Simon Lloyd seems to be the front runner if you believe the media from last weekend.....

Reply #95

That tells me that we have a new president, but we still have the 'old carlton' and have learned nothing.

Sad times ahead.

Reply #96
I think you're seeing something that's not there.

I don't rate your ability to judge a coach either just quietly.

He has done simply what everyone else on here did with Malthouse.

Analysed and re-analysed comments until they found something to be unhappy with.

Until we all figure out, that what the coach states in public to the media, has no bearing on his relationship with the player, or what understanding that player has with the coach the quicker we will be happier with what our coaches say in press conferences.

The media have their own agenda, and often it has nothing to do with the truth and all about asking loaded questions to draw this exact result from people because it becomes a conversational talking point, and a method to sell more stories moving forward.

The best way to navigate through the crap, is simply not to get sucked in by it.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #97
Until we all figure out, that what the coach states in public to the media, has no bearing on his relationship with the player, or what understanding that player has with the coach the quicker we will be happier with what our coaches say in press conferences.

We shouldn't excuse Mick's lack of discipline. Of course if someone tells you one thing and says something else in the media you're going to have zero respect for them unless they make it very clear to you upfront that he's going to be talking crap to the media and even then you'd questiontheir integrity.

Reply #98
Hawks by a real real lot

Reply #99
We shouldn't excuse Mick's lack of discipline. Of course if someone tells you one thing and says something else in the media you're going to have zero respect for them unless they make it very clear to you upfront that he's going to be talking crap to the media and even then you'd questiontheir integrity.

Not excusing it.

Not by any measure, but I have seen many instances where different interpreations of the same comment draw the ire of people sometimes, and sometimes not with the comments being pretty much the same sort of thing.

What we don't have an understanding of in this instance, is what Kristian Jaksch, and Barker have in terms of a relationship, nor what Barker's actual thoughts of Jaksch games are.  He is simply sending a message of not being dictated to by media surrounding Jaksch and when he will play senior footy.

All that aside, we are ignoring something about Jaksch.

1.  He had that shocking foot injury during pre season.
2.  He punctured a lung vs Richmond.
3.  He has been a little out of his depth thus far at AFL level, and we need to look after his best interests.

Playing him vs Hawthorn is a natural reaction for us, because we want to see what he can do, and largely most people here don't see Liam Jones as a viable forward option.  All of that is fine, but currently, Jones is more consistently competitive at AFL level and Jaksch doesnt have the greatest base to go on and make an impact so shielding him from the past 3 or 4 games is probably better for him as a player, than putting him against one of the better defenses in the AFL (if we want to play him forward) and ruining whatever confidence he may have built thus far about making the grade.

Again, the comment in itself isnt the problem.  Its the interpretation.  We start forgetting what the coach and think about the agenda of the bloke asking the question (drawing this reaction, and perhaps creating another story for themselves in liew of any real news to write about) and we take that power away from the media, and we can worry about the serious stuff like getting the best out of our footy club.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #100

I think Mick has clearly said that what he says to the media and what he says to the players are different.
He said he'll defend his players to the media and deflect any attention they might receive onto himself.
He said IF he ever decides to have a go at a player publicly, it is not done so in an off-the-cuff manner and is usually pre-planned to get a desired result.

I think a lot of people see the coach in the public eye and that is them. It is not. It's all a game. Some coaches loathe the media, Mick would certainly be one. Coaches give the cliches and get the hell out of dodge and go deal with the players.

Reply #101
Brad Scott got roasted gor being honest this week so you can't really win.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #102
Jones is a dead set spud, if he's getting a game our list is crape.
Hawthorn by 80 points plus is my tip, if we can keep it to 8 goals or less I'll be stoked.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #103
Simon Lloyd seems to be the front runner if you believe the media from last weekend.....

Hope not. Don't want anyone who has never played at AFL level.

Reply #104

Could well be, especially with the Ross Lyon/SOS connection. I just hope the "process" is not compromised that's all.
Reality always wins in the end.