Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 1 Carlton vs Richmond Post Game Prognostications (Read 50153 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 1 Carlton vs Richmond Post Game Prognostications

Reply #240
I'm not surprised that many Carlton supporters still believe that Ratten was a good appointment, just as many Essendon supporters still believe in Hird and the great majority of Collingwood supporters are behind Buckley.

Yet Thursday's game plan was far far closer to Ratten's own plan than the last few years of Malthouse!

But you are seriously deranged if you think Ratten and Carlton supporters assessment of Ratten is in anyway comparable to Hird and EFC supporters blind faith in Hird!  You should apologise to all Carlton supporters for that one! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #241
B4L wanted Ratten gone for a long time and was a big advocate for Mick, no wonder he's playing the 'all Rattens fault' card.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #242
Yet Thursday's game plan was far far closer to Ratten's own plan than the last few years of Malthouse!

But you are seriously deranged if you think Ratten and Carlton supporters assessment of Ratten is in anyway comparable to Hird and EFC supporters blind faith in Hird!  You should apologise to all Carlton supporters for that one! :o

It was closer when we were going forward... maybe, but this time we had a defence plan.
And a coach who didn't munch out on snakes all game. ;)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #243
It was closer when we were going forward... maybe, but this time we had a defence plan.

I remember Dermott Brereton talking about his playing days with Lethal. DB was concerned about one particular upcoming opponent, and their ability to score heavily (I don't remember whether it was because Hawthorn's defense was undermanned, or because this was a high scoring team). At any rate, when DB broached the topic, Lethal just said, "don't worry, however much they score, we'll just score more."

Voila, Ratt's game plan. 

I like snakes.

Reply #244
Gave the Coke Zero a hiding though ;) :P
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #245

I said many, not all, Carlton supporters, but delusion among supporters isn't exclusive to Essendon by any means.
General rule of thumb, don't employ a club champion as your senior coach, when you inevitably need to sack him it's like shooting Bambi.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #246
I said many, not all, Carlton supporters, but delusion among supporters isn't exclusive to Essendon by any means.
General rule of thumb, don't employ a club champion as your senior coach, when you inevitably need to sack him it's like shooting Bambi.

Every supporter, irrespective of which coach/team/player they back, thinks of themselves as realists and clear thinkers.

Reply #247

Yet we won flags under Walls and Jesaulenko! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #248
B4L wanted Ratten gone for a long time and was a big advocate for Mick, no wonder he's playing the 'all Rattens fault' card.

Yes, he sure got that one wrong...lol.

Reply #250
and Nicholls :D

B4L did say the last 30 years Lods  ;)

Not that I think great players can't go on to be great coaches at the same club.  We'll never know how successful Ratten could have been with us but, despite the bleating from the Malthouse apologists, he dragged us from the bottom into the finals.

I think that one of the key factors is ensuring that the coach, whether he is a club great or not, has done an apprenticeship, preferably with a successful team, and has coached in his/her own right.  I reckon Ratten would be a much better coach now than when he got the job with us.

The 'can't be a coach at your old club' mantra is a little like the 'can't be an AFL coach if you haven't played at AFL level' furphy. 

It was interesting listening to the ABC today.  Of course a lot of the talk was about Fremantle, the Bulldogs, the Swans and Collingwood but one of the commentators kept referring back to our game.  He was making the point that, if a couple of relatively easy goals had been scored, the conversation would have been all about the wooden spooners defeating a top four contender.  Yes, our 22 was strengthened by a couple of new blokes and the return of Gibbs, but the turnaround is really down to Bolton.  How good is it to have a coach who actually knows what he is doing?

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #251

Well that excludes Jezza too and Walls only just scrapes in.

B4L's point has a certain validity too it.
It is a difficult task to sack a club legend (like shooting Bambi).
...and club legends don't necessarily make great coaches.

Reply #252

Not that I think great players can't go on to be great coaches at the same club.  We'll never know how successful Ratten could have been with us but, despite the bleating from the Malthouse apologists, he dragged us from the bottom into the finals.

I think that one of the key factors is ensuring that the coach, whether he is a club great or not, has done an apprenticeship, preferably with a successful team, and has coached in his/her own right.  I reckon Ratten would be a much better coach now than when he got the job with us.

The 'can't be a coach at your old club' mantra is a little like the 'can't be an AFL coach if you haven't played at AFL level' furphy. 

It was interesting listening to the ABC today.  Of course a lot of the talk was about Fremantle, the Bulldogs, the Swans and Collingwood but one of the commentators kept referring back to our game.  He was making the point that, if a couple of relatively easy goals had been scored, the conversation would have been all about the wooden spooners defeating a top four contender.  Yes, our 22 was strengthened by a couple of new blokes and the return of Gibbs, but the turnaround is really down to Bolton.  How good is it to have a coach who actually knows what he is doing?

I think you might be over looking something.

It's great to have a club that seems to finally all be moving in the same direction together.

We have arrived where we are as a product of what has occurred since 2004.   the draft penalties effect is still there. 

Even now Wells and Goddard are playing good footy, and their clubs have reaped the rewards of compensation picks we missed out on. 

Pagan has had his involvement.
Ratten has had his involvement.
Malthouse has had his involvement.
All the assistant coaches have done their bit.
We have learned lessons and we will be a better club for it.

Yes Bolton deserves credit,  but we can't know the effect the others have had.  Some will despite the best grumblings of the Malthouse opposers have learned stuff from him.  Even if that was what not to do. 

We are all shaped by things that have occurred.   Even the whole way it ended for Malthouse could be something that resulted in us being left with only people that really want to be at our footy club. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #253
Yes, our 22 was strengthened by a couple of new blokes and the return of Gibbs, but the turnaround is really down to Bolton.  How good is it to have a coach who actually knows what he is doing?

What turnaround? I'm a Bolton fan but he has achieved nothing yet.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #254
What turnaround? I'm a Bolton fan but he has achieved nothing yet.

x2.

If we start winning and win 8+ games for the year, yep a step forward, win 3 -6 odd and meh, any mug could achieve that. Not that winning games are the only measure of improvement granted.....

End of the day, our list is far from as bad as most say, even most on this forum.

Just a bunch of serial under performers (relative to potential) eg Gibbs, Murphy (overall) or perennially injury eg Kreuzer, Thomas, Jamo, 1AW - combined a bunch of guys who lack or lost the ability to win.
Finals, then 4 in a row!