Skip to main content
Topic: JLT game 3 (Read 62144 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: JLT game 3

Reply #135
One thing to keep in mind with practice games is that the effort across the ground will not be as consistent as in a regular season game.
Individuals will have different priorities.
Guys like Kreuzer and Simpson will usually give you 100% no matter what the game but they're the exception.
Others will go at about 80% and that might be the best preparation for them especially if they're going to be called upon for long periods on the ball throughout the season.

So the effect of that it is that if some are going at less than full effort it puts pressure on some of the less skilled players as they're called upon to pick up the slack.
It causes extra pressure and under that pressure skills will be affected.
It's why practice games only give you a limited perspective of what the team will be like in the season proper.

As an example....Throw Weitering down back for that game and all of a sudden that defence becomes much stronger and as a result the defenders have assistance. It reduces their workload and allows them to play closer attention to their own man. Mccarthy doesn't get six goals, some of those over the top/ free run into goal scores don't occur.

If Gibbs and Murphy increase their output it takes the pressure off the other midfielders.
Cripps plays a full game same result.
If all three are operating at a high rate then suddenly the others have more time, disposals aren't rushed and as a result are more effective.

Playtime is over.
The real stuff is about to begin....and then we can make some informed judgements.

Reply #136
One thing to keep in mind with practice games is that the effort across the ground will not be as consistent as in a regular season game.
Individuals will have different priorities.
Guys like Kreuzer and Simpson will usually give you 100% no matter what the game but they're the exception.
Others will go at about 80% and that might be the best preparation for them especially if they're going to be called upon for long periods on the ball throughout the season.

So the effect of that it is that if some are going at less than full effort it puts pressure on some of the less skilled players as they're called upon to pick up the slack.
It causes extra pressure and under that pressure skills will be affected.
It's why practice games only give you a limited perspective of what the team will be like in the season proper.

As an example....Throw Weitering down back for that game and all of a sudden that defence becomes much stronger and as a result the defenders have assistance. It reduces their workload and allows them to play closer attention to their own man. Mccarthy doesn't get six goals, some of those over the top/ free run into goal scores don't occur.

If Gibbs and Murphy increase their output it takes the pressure off the other midfielders.
Cripps plays a full game same result.
If all three are operating at a high rate then suddenly the others have more time, disposals aren't rushed and as a result are more effective.

Playtime is over.
The real stuff is about to begin....and then we can make some informed judgements.

And...this is why you are our Leader Lods.
Great logical post! :)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #138
Shawny is kind of correct, he was kicking points from 30m out directly in front instead of on the full.

Thanks. At least things are moving in the right direction. I love progress.

Reply #139
Check out Matt Priddis and Josh Kennedy's (Syd) kick/hand ball ratio's and you'll see it isn't a huge issue. Both have much lower kick stats.

Lods. Priddis is running about 1.5:1 and Josh P Kennedy about 1.3:1.

Don't get me wrong. I'm focusing on the 1% of Cripps game that worries me - the other 99% is fine. It's nit picking no doubt, but what I say is true. I'm hopeful he can evolve into something more like Sam Mitchell or Diesel.

Reply #140
As honest as some of these have been over the years, while our team still requires the services of White, Armfield, Kerridge, Thomas, Casboult, Lamb, Palmer, Smedts and sadly even Curnow, we will not be competitive and will struggle to win more then a few games this year. Only early days but the recruiting of Smedts and Palmer is odd to say the least. 

The above list butcher the ball way too often, miss targets, cause costly turnovers and most cannot nail simple goals. And to compound things the back ups are either kids or players with similar traits.  :'(

Not too many lists have this amount of poor ball users on the park at the same time and that's very reason above many others is why we will be a bottom 2 team.  

An unfortunately accurate assessment.

On the other hand, if Curnow would be worthy if he were to limit himself to long kicking or hand-balling to someone who could kick reliably; he is a major liability when trying to pass the ball by foot. 

Reply #141

What's Levi's kicking look like ? Anyone see any changes, improvements etc. ?

The approach, the rhythm and follow-through are noticeably better.

He is dropping the ball from a lower height and (contrary to his set shot miss yesterday) the ball drop is more controlled. So there is a big improvement, coming from a very low starting point.

Reply #142
He's an elite contested beast (great), who is very reluctant to kick (not so great).

Maybe the problem is that Cripps needs to be surrounded by players that can kick. Maybe it's not him. But its disturbs me that he seems so reluctant to use his feet.

I suspect his reluctance is partly due to the fact that he commonly has the ball in the 'thick of it' and because he doesn't want to turn the ball over. His foot-passing skills are not much better than Curnow's so the more hand-balling the better - Curnow could do likewise - as long as the ball is hand-passed to Murphy, Simpson and decent exponents of the foot pass.

Reply #143
The approach, the rhythm and follow-through are noticeably better.

He is dropping the ball from a lower height and (contrary to his set shot miss yesterday) the ball drop is more controlled. So there is a big improvement, coming from a very low starting point.

Thanks RR.

Reply #144
I suspect his reluctance is partly due to the fact that he commonly has the ball in the 'thick of it' and because he doesn't want to turn the ball over. His foot-passing skills are not much better than Curnow's so the more hand-balling the better - Curnow could do likewise - as long as the ball is hand-passed to Murphy, Simpson and decent exponents of the foot pass.

Yes, I would agree with all that. He is the best contested ball player in the comp - that's beyond dispute. But I really want him to be good at other things too. I want him to win the Brownlow. I want him to win the Leigh Matthews Trophy. He has the right attitude, and i have no doubt is working hard on his deficiencies.

Reply #145
What I like about Marchbank is his composure. Doesnt panic, knows what to do and has a steely resolve. Pickett could be anything but we have seen plenty of "preseason stars" go on to not strike a blow. As I said early, very messy effort, need to clean it up and add some polish. At least it wasnt a hiding. Cripps, nuff said.
The sooner we get Daisy, White and to a lesser extent Curnow out of that side, the better.

E. Curnows disposal by foot is atrocious....no left side either, White is another who cannot hit a target.....Daisy is gone and needs to do a deal with the club and retire....
re: Cripps....was great last night but we have zero backup for him...if he doesnt play we will be hammered by most teams...we needed to get some backup at trade/draft time but didnt....

Reply #146

Yes, our defense gets better with Weitering down back.
However, our forward line gets a lot worse.

Weitering kicked 1.1 and a score assist. =team high marks inside 50 (2)

He adds more value to the team playing in the forwardline.

Rowe, Marchbank, Plowman, A. Silvagni and even White can play key posts down back in Weiterings absence.
Who can play up forward if we take Weitering away from there?
Casboutl, J. Silvagni....Curnow.....McKay.... ??

Basically the same thing was said last night...
There was a discussion had about weitering last night with Dunstall re forward vs back.
If he is a 9/10 backman and a 7-8/10 forward, where is he best played in our side?

Given the lack of depth and need of forward, he's better off forward.

Reply #147
OK, early days and only JLT games, but where are Gibbs and Murphy at? Sounds like more lack lustre efforts again yesterday from what should be two of our leading lights? We'll know more after R1 of course but I'm starting to believe that these two might well be right at the root of our problems.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #148
That's true kruddler, but if we believe Bolt-on, he's made it clear that Weitering will be played mostly in defense for now, with a view to him being a top level swing-man in the long term. 

Reply #149
E. Curnows disposal by foot is atrocious....no left side either, White is another who cannot hit a target.....Daisy is gone and needs to do a deal with the club and retire....

Many people on here have the crosshairs trained in a select few players this season.
Thomas, White, Ed and Kerridge.

Most of the talk is the same, poor kicking.

One thing they all have in common, besides that, is that they are senior players who give their all.

Lets say the wishes of many on here were granted and those 4 (could be more) are no longer given selection. Who comes in, what does the team look like. Are we better off?

Personally, i think we will have WAY too many kids in their place who will get injured as they are not up to the physicality of senior football yet. That leads to people further down the list getting games (or putting the above 4 back in) and we go round in circles.

Its true that they are far from a-grade footballers, but they offer something that our list largely lacks. Good old fashioned guts and determination. That CAN be infectious. It is very hard to manufacture. With such a young list, we simply need these types of players in our team. People better just get used to it.

These are the players that block, smother, shephard, tackle, run hard and cover for teammates and generally do the 1%ers. We could do with some more of that on our list.