Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 16: Pre Game Jitters: Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 19208 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 16: Pre Game Jitters: Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #61
what's the point of naming McKay  ??    That's a couple times now I think ?    

just throw him in FFS ..... he sinks or swims
I  was thinking the same thing Maxy, seems a little odd to keep teasing him like this. Unless there is a late change.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #62
I  was thinking the same thing Maxy, seems a little odd to keep teasing him like this. Unless there is a late change.

Think it's message to him to say he's getting close.

Reply #63
Think it's message to him to say he's getting close.

And to have more of an impact in the VFL, he needs to demand selection like Jones did.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #64
I agree in part B4L

Jones had to work harder for selection, the criteria for a senior player to be selected in the game day should be that he is tearing up the 2s and demanding selection.

The criteria for a junior player should be that he is giving 100% and showing enough encouraging signs to warrant an opportunity.

It has to be because senior players in the 1st should be at/or close to their fulfilled potential, so then if playing at 100% then their game should be better than someone like Zac, Harry or Jack.

For those that watch him I am interested in what his intensity on the field is like. He looks very layed back every time I see video of him. You can't judge players by outward appearance I know, but Buckley always gave me the same sort of impression as well and every time I watch his couch segment I think the same.

Anyway, still a few games left and think he will get his chance, glad they are not gifting it to him though
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #65
Realistically he should have played by now and the fact that he hasn't is a concern to me.
He's a key forward and we are the lowest scoring team in the competition, if he was anywhere near it you would expect him to be in the side.
There's no guarantees when you draft 18 year olds but our record at drafting tall forwards is atrocious, let's hope he's not yet another draft bust.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #66
Realistically he should have played by now and the fact that he hasn't is a concern to me.
He's a key forward and we are the lowest scoring team in the competition, if he was anywhere near it you would expect him to be in the side.
There's no guarantees when you draft 18 year olds but our record at drafting tall forwards is atrocious, let's hope he's not yet another draft bust.

Remember we need to think of this a year one, an 18 year old 200+ cm key fwd, just wait.
What happened to my old profile?????

Reply #67
I think it is way to early to be able to make a decision on whether he is a bust, but yes there are some concerns..
On his side is that I believe he was the youngest player taken in the draft, so is essentially the same age as the players from last years draft. He was draft eligible by 1 week, young SOS was eligible by 2 weeks.
At his height and age there should be some forgiveness for not hitting the grade yet, but I do hope it is not due to lack of effort/intensity. His brother has also yet to play a senior game.

The other worry is some layed back country kids simple don't take to Melbourne and the intensity of the AFL. I had a mate when I was living in Wangaratta who a number of clubs showed interest in, the Bushrangers (I think they are the Wang zone) we constantly calling his house to see if he might be interested to change his mind and he just wasn't. Footy was just fun for him. Shane Loveless is another case of a guy who just might have gone on to be one of the great Full Forwards of the game if he showed the intensity required.

That is my major concern, is he committed to an AFL career?
Hard questions to be asking of young kids I know and he might just come good yet fingers crossed.

On this game, my biggest concern is that we look at our weakest against teams that want to run with the ball like Richmond did and the Dees are one of the biggest run/carry sides in the AFL. Our team should be disciplined enough to beat Melbourne I feel, but that is the area that we will lose it if we do, so we must tackle and stop their run at all costs. If we do, I don't know that Melbourne have another game plan. Which is ironic as they themselves were very static only a couple of years back.

The other worry is thinking we are favorites before the game starts. Melbourne's top midfield is out, but we are missing some 1st choice players as well and besides they are still going to have decent players who can comfortably come in and do the job. If we are on our game though, we should be able to win this one.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #68
Remember we need to think of this a year one, an 18 year old 200+ cm key fwd, just wait.

Watching the VFL game today and my impression is that he lacks presence.

Reply #69

He seems to lack game awareness, intensity and hunger from what i can see.

Reply #70
Mckay needs to be playing seniors, he wont learn anything or be motivated to bust a gut playing with the bananas we have in the NB's...

Reply #71
Mckay needs to be playing seniors, he wont learn anything or be motivated to bust a gut playing with the bananas we have in the NB's...

Problem is Bolton has a very clear and consistent message that players will be rewarded for good, consistent form.
If he bends the rules for one, then the whole master plan breaks down.

Reply #72

I saw alot of that presence earlier in the year when he was crashing packs. Just off the boil a little right now.

Apparently he's grown to 204cm so he'll be a big boy.

Reply #73
I am not too concerned at the minute - the ball being delivered to him is attrocious at best - needs to put on 10 kilos to go into beast mode,

Josh Kennedy wasn't doing much first couple of years
Drew Petrie didnt get going until his third year

We need patience with this smooth left foot mover.

Reply #74
Problem is Bolton has a very clear and consistent message that players will be rewarded for good, consistent form.
If he bends the rules for one, then the whole master plan breaks down.

Think he said he wanted 4 qtrs from him. He's still learning that. Earlier in the year he was attacking marks, and taking them, from all angles irrespective of the pack in front of him. Maybe should've given him a game then. NB's have struggle the last 4 weeks and with it some of the young blokes. We extended his contract by 2 years without him playing a game so i'm thinking the club have liked what they have seen.

One one hand you'd like to give him a gave towards the end of the year just to give him a feel of what the next level is like, on the other hand, as you said, you want to keep the message consistent.

Someone on another site, friends with the Kerr family said Bolton was insistent on not playing young talls until he feels they are absolutely ready. He apparently thinks if they come in too early it can hurt their progress.