Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 1 Post Game Party: Carlton vs Richmond (Read 41218 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 1 Post Game Party: Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #60
I was surprised by Richmond's behind tally as the game went. They didn't seem to be missing easy goals and seemed to nail set shots. We managed 15.5 but there was about 4 shots that didn't score at all.

We rushed a few through.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #62
He's not much older than Curnow (if he is at all).

Charlie Curnow is almost a year older than Weitering but that's not Weitering's problem.

We've taken one of the better intercept marks we've ever drafted, a player who showed us what he can do in his very first season, and forked him up for a short term attempt to cover for Casboult. Levi's poison is spreading, he is the gift that just keeps on giving.

It's a big test of Bolton and the coaches to see if they can get Weitering back to his best, and prevent the whole team from being sucked down the gurgler!

If we end up cooking Weitering and keeping SoJ the joint needs an enema because it's full of nepotistic sh1te! At the moment I cannot see why we are playing SoJ ahead of Kerr, O'Shea or McKay, although none of them show form worth persisting with, and they haven't performed at the level Weitering has shown he is capable of doing. FWIW, I think from limited opportunities Macreadie and Williamson have shown more than SoJ, McKay or Kerr.

People are worried about certain players, I'm more worried because there is a stench of the old Carlton ways, and not the good ones!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #63
the points tally (theirs) last night was not a result of inaccurate kicking....

So, what changes for Rd 2?

For mine (presuming fitness):

Outs: Mullet, Lamb

In: Willo, Lang

Weiters and Jack on notice....ditto Byrne.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #64
Charlie Curnow is almost a year older than Weitering but that's not Weitering's problem.

We've taken one of the better intercept marks we've ever drafted, a player who showed us what he can do in his very first season, and forked him up for a short term attempt to cover for Casboult. Levi's poison is spreading, he is the gift that just keeps on giving.

It's a big test of Bolton and the coaches to see if they can get Weitering back to his best, and prevent the whole team from being sucked down the gurgler!

If we end up cooking Weitering and keeping SoJ the joint needs an enema because it's full of nepotistic sh1te! At the moment I cannot see why we are playing SoJ ahead of Kerr, O'Shea or McKay, although none of them show form worth persisting with, and they haven't performed at the level Weitering has shown he is capable of doing. FWIW, Macreadie and Williamson have shown more than SoJ, McKay or Kerr.

People are worried about certain players, I'm more worried because there is a stench of the old Carlton ways, and not the good ones!

Jack earnt his spot through his efforts last year. That doesn;t mean he'll keep that spot this year...

Weiters? It's clearly between the ears, so get him talking to the sports pysch....

Not sure how Levi gets blame here..... :o :o
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #65
If we could halve the number of cheap turnovers we would have wone that, even with 2 men down.... I haven't seen the whole game yet (tonight once kids are asleep) but I did see us cough the ball up a fair bit (Ed Curnow springs to mind).

I saw a stat from the Hun that said Tigres scored 14 goals from turnovers!!

Scores from turnovers has been an issue for a while. I wouldn't be surprised if all teams have high numbers for this stat against the Tigers. Their pressure on the ball carrier and intended receiver is pretty fierce. I think Bolton made a reference to this stat in his presser.

Reply #66
If what has been discussed on here is correct regarding Weeters, i.e that he is a zoning off, intercept player, rather than a "direct opponent" type player, then is not the concept of a direct match up for him either secondary or redundant ?

If the above is true, then the issues with him are either structural (i.e not being played to his strengths), or mental / emotional (confidence, loss of form, mental health etc.)

His sophomore slump has vastly outstayed its welcome. 

Reply #67
Scores from turnovers has been an issue for a while. I wouldn't be surprised if all teams have high numbers for this stat against the Tigers. Their pressure on the ball carrier and intended receiver is pretty fierce. I think Bolton made a reference to this stat in his presser.

Yes, the Nthmond game style and our new apparent game style depend on scores from turnovers, so they should be expected as part of the plan!

Is it good to watch? Really both teams looked ordinary last night, and I think an in-form Swans unit would have given them both fresh ones to crap out of!

Our problem wasn't creating turnovers it was execution once we got hold of the footy. I won't have it that the pressure is to blame, because we regularly won the ball then forked up during a chain of three or four handballs. The pressure was the same for both sides but I didn't see Nthmond missing targets by hand or foot.

We missed targets even when in the clear! :o

There were other very ordinary events, but there is one that stands out on the replay Watch in the last quarter you see us scramble out of defense to the nearside HBF where Mullett wins the ground ball and breaks free. He sets off past two or three of our own players who just stand-by and watch Nthmond players run past them and run Mullett down. The spud commentator, I think it was Ling, bags the hell out of Mullett for a "lack of awareness" and says nothing about Mullett's two or three team-mates who let the opposition run past them without even an arm out to attempt a shepherd. This sort of event happened several times, but that one in particular you can see the whole play in the field of view on the replay. it's a very ordinary look, and it's that lack of effort that shows we are not a unified team!

In contrast watch a couple of the Nthmond F50 entries, watch well ahead of the ball at the target when the view allows, nearly every time they enter you see one of their smalls block for Reiwoldt, Townsend or Martin, several times it was Lambert. In many case the balls was 40 to 50m away but no free was offered! Twice they even made front on contact with our tall defenders and the commentators then went on to criticize the defenders for "not being good enough!" In contrast, we tried that twice and the umpires penalised our small forwards for interference!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #68

But 14 goals, that's a joke!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #69
Yes, the Nthmond game style and our new apparent game style depend on scores from turnovers, so they should be expected as part of the plan!

Is it good to watch? Really both teams looked ordinary last night, and I think an in-form Swans unit would have given them both fresh ones to crap out of!

Our problem wasn't creating turnovers it was execution once we got hold of the footy. I won't have it that the pressure is to blame, because we regularly won the ball then forked up during a chain of three or four handballs. The pressure was the same for both sides but I didn't see Nthmond missing targets by hand or foot.

We missed targets even when in the clear! :o

There were other very ordinary events, but there is one that stands out on the replay Watch in the last quarter you see us scramble out of defense to the nearside HBF where Mullett wins the ground ball and breaks free. He sets off past two or three of our own players who just stand-by and watch Nthmond players run past them and run Mullett down. The spud commentator, I think it was Ling, bags the hell out of Mullett for a lack of awareness and says nothing about Mullett's two or three team-mates who let the opposition run past them without even an attempt to shepherd. This sort of event happened several times, but that one in particular you can see the whole play in the field of view on the replay. it's a very ordinary look, and it's that lack of effort that shows we are not a unified team!

Yes, but having 18 players on the park all unified is hard to do, and it's why the Tigers are so good. A very good example of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts. Our skills haven't looked consistently sharp since the Ratten days.

Considering it was a first game, I thought the Tigers looked sharp and slick in the main, and we looked like that in patches. I thought as a visual spectacle it was pretty good.

Reply #70

It needs to come down, that's for sure. I'd be interested in seeing how other teams fare against the Tigers on this stat.

Reply #71
Yes, but having 18 players on the park all unified is hard to do, and it's why the Tigers are so good. A very good example of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts. Our skills haven't looked consistently sharp since the Ratten days.

I don't accept that PaulP, we are talking about things that are football basics, kids get dragged at U14 level for not doing this stuff and a AFL player on $400K dollars won't do it?

To me there are only two possibilities, we haven't recruited footballers, because any half decent footballer does this naturally. Or our coaches are such control freaks they trained it out of them for some weird reason!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #72
I don't accept that PaulP, we are talking about things that are football basics, kids get dragged at U14 level for not doing this stuff and a AFL player on $400K dollars won't do it?

And yet, it continues to happen - why ?

Reply #73

If these game styles persist you will find the vast majority of goals competition wide coming from turnovers.

Last night the commentators made a statement that the AFL would be very happy with the goals scored, but those goals are coming from so many mistakes it's almost unwatchable. It's like this current trend is a statistical niche being exploited by clubs because of the way the game is umpired.

I really didn't enjoy it much at all because so many goals including ours were coast to coast stuff without any real contest. I realise the pressure and pace was high, but I would not say the quality was high.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #74
And yet, it continues to happen - why ?

I cannot answer that, but it seems far worse at our club, there is something part of our club which is destroying confidence and unity.

Maybe the unity thing is just too many list changes, maybe it's something behind the scenes.

Even so, their is no excuse for the on-field stuff, the players are professional footballers.
The Force Awakens!