Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 1 Post Game Party: Carlton vs Richmond (Read 41141 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 1 Post Game Party: Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #105
I hope you're right about SOS's impartiality. I don't think jack will ever get 40 goals in a season. And in reference to your first paragraph, he, Wright and Levi practically had the forward line to themselves last season. He had to get among the goals.

Lol so we played with 3 forward only?
How the hell did the likes of Lamb or Curnow or anyone else score?

It seems that when people have a view of a player it is close to impossible to shift that view.
If at the start of last season someone told me one of our 19 year olds was going to kick 20 goals, I would have been happy with that.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #106
No doubt injuries never help but if you can lose a ruckman against anyone is the tigers. Helped bring casboult into the game.
As I said though potentially playing Cunningham instead of weitering makes the loss of Kennedy less significant.
It's not who we lost that was important it was the fact that we were effectively out on our feet and it showed.  We are a younger not as battle hardened team, tired legs means tired minds and poor decisions which ultimately cost us more than anything.  Malthouse used to say being down a rotation hurts everyone and he's right.  with interchange caps to manage its even harder as you can't bring players off when they're cooked.

Back 6 for years... Agree... But does that mean we get done by small forward lines for years as well?
perhaps but I'd rather they adjust to this now and learn about how to stop it now rather than when we're in a premiership window and wonder how we got done.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #107
Lol so we played with 3 forward only?
How the hell did the likes of Lamb or Curnow or anyone else score?

It seems that when people have a view of a player it is close to impossible to shift that view.
If at the start of last season someone told me one of our 19 year olds was going to kick 20 goals, I would have been happy with that.

No, I never said we only had 3 forwards. Jed Lamb kicked 6 goals last season. Curnow kicked 20, so I'll give you that.

I'm sorry, but I think Jack is simply too slow, which will forever limit his ability to impact games, and his kicking for goal is not that flash.

And if I'm proven wrong, I'll be the first to admit it.

Reply #108
Jack earnt his spot through his efforts last year. That doesn;t mean he'll keep that spot this year...

Weiters? It's clearly between the ears, so get him talking to the sports pysch....

Not sure how Levi gets blame here..... :o :o

I feel for Weiters - Richmond has a strange forward line - plenty of fast movers and few big blokes.  He doesn't have a great match up in that instance.  His intercept role seems to have been taken over by Marchbank and he looks a bit lost to say the least.

I think Bolton erred by not moving him forward after Kreuz went down and Casboult was no longer in the forward 50.  We looked pretty toothless going forward after that (Kreuz couldn't move.....).

And can someone please tell Ciaran Byrne that the give and go handball only works if the bloke he is giving it to hasn't got three opposition players on him......

This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #109
Weitering is too good a footballer not to be in the side.
If there's no match up for him back then play him forward.

I'm not sure we play that match up game anyway...players seem to control zones.
Jones seems to have a roving commission on that backline and plays more a "goalkeeping" role.
What we do lack is defensive small backs and a side like Richmond still exploits that.
Make no mistake...folks talk Richmond down but they're a bloody good side and remind me of some of the West Coast teams at their best.

The coaching staff aren't dopes...Weitering's in the side for a reason and he'll probably get a "low-light" reel this week that will be very beneficial in the long run.
If you're going to drop him for someone like McKay then that player will need to show something special because Weitering more than has him covered at this stage.

Reply #111
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/a-grey-area-blues-under-fire-for-new-look-20180323-p4z5x9.html

I don't like them either. Like some place in industrial North England, where the whole town seems enveloped in grey soot.

I like them  :)

If we have to wear a clash jumper, there's really no reason why we have to stick with the traditional white shorts (and I believe the white shorts = away strip link was dropped long ago when clubs started wearing shorts that matched their jumper colour).  The chamois panels (first suggested by Fev) could make a game-winning difference and Nike are paying us to wear them!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #112
I try not to get too wound up about first games of the year. Some hit the ground running, others have shockers, badly needing a game to get their bearings again. I'll look to see how they all go next week.

Interestingly, the score last year in this game was 20.12 to 14.5. Only difference was the game was never close unlike last night.

Reply #113
Isn't this the same line Jimbo uses about Levi ? Jack had a terrible game last night. 2 tackles, 6 disposals, no score at all. 2nd last in AFL fantasy points. The stench is worse than those stinkhorn mushrooms growing in my front garden.

Before last nights game, Jack was =2nd on our list in terms of goals/game.
0.93 goals a game. Same as Charlie Curnow.

Only person better is Casboult, 1.12 goals a game.

FWIW, Matty Wright is 0.82 goals/game.

So Jack had a bad game. He is still amongst the best forwards we have on our list.
Yes, its the same line people use with Casboult. Problem is there, Casboult has been on the list for 8 years! Jack in his 3rd year. Big difference.

Some other stats you might like to compare.
Levi's first game was as a 22yo (22y 130d to be precise)
Jacks was as an 18yo. His game last night he was 20y 100d old.

Jack has played 29 games now. When Levi played his 29th game he was 24 years old. Jack is 4 years ahead of Levi in terms of development.

Sure, keep comparing them if you want.

Reply #114
Before last nights game, Jack was =2nd on our list in terms of goals/game.
0.93 goals a game. Same as Charlie Curnow.

Only person better is Casboult, 1.12 goals a game.

FWIW, Matty Wright is 0.82 goals/game.

So Jack had a bad game. He is still amongst the best forwards we have on our list.
Yes, its the same line people use with Casboult. Problem is there, Casboult has been on the list for 8 years! Jack in his 3rd year. Big difference.

Some other stats you might like to compare.
Levi's first game was as a 22yo (22y 130d to be precise)

Jack has played 29 games now. When Levi played his 29th game he was 24 years old. Jack is 4 years ahead of Levi in terms of development.

Sure, keep comparing them if you want.

If Jack is "among the best forwards on our list", based on goals/game, then Levi must be the best, no ?

Ordinariness has nothing to with age - Jack and Levi are both average footballers, they were average when they started their careers, and they will be average when they finish.

Reply #115
Wright has kicked 57 goals from 45 games for the Blues...

Reply #116
Is that consistent with your Weitering stance?

What has SoJ done to justify the support, compared to Weitering's first season?
My Weitering stance is not specifically about Weitering at all.

I don't know if its an old way of thinking or not, but it seems people have a 'best 22' and that is that.
IMO, you pick your team that gives you the best chance of winning that week. So the 'best 22' one week could be completely different to the 'best 22' the following week and that is based on your opposition and what it takes to beat them.

My 'stance' on Weitering is that there are times where him being in the side can not just hurt our chances of winning the game, but assist the opposition in winning it.

Last night, in the in-game thread, a couple people were pointing out how many shots on goal the tigers got when Weitering was the direct opponent. Weitering was switched around trying to find a matchup (wasn't one for him) and the tigers continually went through his man to get a shot on goal.
Now if the opposition is just going to bomb it long and hope, sure, Weitering zoning off is an asset.
If the opposition is too smart for that and has a bunch of small forwards who can lead, mark and run off weitering, he is a liability.

That doesn't mean you drop him next week, you look at the matchups.

Its no different to say coming up against Sandilands in the ruck. You can attempt to let Kreuzer fight it out one on one with him, or you can bring in a backup ruck, run him around and rotate fresh players that jump into him all game. He gets sore from the excessive contact, gets blown up from chasing tail, or allows you a free man because he isn't chasing. Its a match up thing. Horses for courses.

All the players are chess pieces. I use them as i see fit to win the game.
One day your queen will get you the win, one day a rook. One day, it might even be a pawn. You use the pieces you have, to get you an advantage and win.
Weitering against Richmond, was never going to get us the win, but could've cost us victory. Next week, he might be the piece we need to win and someone like Byrne could be the liability

Reply #118
If Jack is "among the best forwards on our list", based on goals/game, then Levi must be the best, no ?

Ordinariness has nothing to with age - Jack and Levi are both average footballers, they were average when they started their careers, and they will be average when they finish.

...and Denis Armfield was ordinary too, but he got picked because he always gave 100% and never died wondering.

Jack, ordinary, still busts his ar$e. Same as Daisy.
Levi, ordinary, might not require a shower after the game.

Reply #119

Hmm, almost exactly thirty days younger than Weitering, people seem to forget that one!
The Force Awakens!