Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 11: Post Game Pragmatism: Carlton vs Sydney (Read 19744 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 11: Post Game Pragmatism: Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #75
Just finished watching the game again. IMHO in was only skill errors that cost us, no more complicated than that. Critical skill errors at that, and from people who should know better... a few howlers from Simmo and Kerridge who were both, otherwise, very good. Attitude, intensity, game plan... all good. We certainly didn't embarrass ourselves which many 'experts' predicted.

Probably O'Shea's best game for us thus far.

Cuningham is just about confirmed as Kane Lucas Mk III. What a waste of sublime talent.

SOJ imposed himself on the contest though tired somewhat in the second half... he'll only improve further as he builds his tank and strength.

O'Brien needs time in the twos.

If we continue and build upon that approach and intensity, and with some experienced blokes back, I reckon we'll win a few in the back half of the season... and how you finish a season is really important.

I’m surprised that you didn’t mention Daisy Baggers.  His third quarter was perhaps the worst football I’ve seen from an established player and virtually handed the game to the Swans. 

Some of our other players had moments that they’d rather forget but none of them came close to Daisy’s profligate efforts.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #76
Sinclair and Rowe both fined.

Franklin twice handed out high forearm fend-offs, as well as one blatant high tackle that wasn't penalised! Yet escapes scrutiny!

We should appeal Rowe’s fine and show the footage of Menegola sinking the slipper into Rowe’s head as the basis of the appeal.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #77
I’m surprised that you didn’t mention Daisy Baggers.  His third quarter was perhaps the worst football I’ve seen from an established player and virtually handed the game to the Swans. 

Some of our other players had moments that they’d rather forget but none of them came close to Daisy’s profligate efforts.
I would agree with that, have really liked Daisy's game this year , but your right DJC , he stunk it up big time , lost focus completely.

Reply #78

Just forgot to put his name in there. Also aghast at his errors in a 3rd qtr to forget. Simmo and Kerridge also handed the opposition possession and goals with howlers... but Daisy headed the podium.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #79
Much was made of Daisy's defensive role in the game. Was this more so than in previous games? If so maybe it was a case of him getting to grips with a different role. He was pretty bad though.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #80
We should appeal Rowe’s fine and show the footage of Menegola sinking the slipper into Rowe’s head as the basis of the appeal.
I agree. There has to be some consistency. At least once per season.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #81
Much was made of Daisy's defensive role in the game. Was this more so than in previous games? If so maybe it was a case of him getting to grips with a different role. He was pretty bad though.

I don't think he was a bad as people make out, they are influenced by the commentary during the game and come to permanent conclusions. Other than a couple of obvious mistakes he played a pretty good game, far better than O'Shea who also sold several team-mates into trouble, yet O'Shea gets praised by some!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #82
I think that blind handball straight to a Swans player was in response to a call, but pretty bad for a player of his experience to get sucked in like that.
He'll be keen to butter up in his next game that's for sure.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #83
I don't think he was a bad as people make out, they are influenced by the commentary during the game and come to permanent conclusions. Other than a couple of obvious mistakes he played a pretty good game, far better than O'Shea who also sold several team-mates into trouble, yet O'Shea gets praised by some!

I thought Daisy was pretty good, apart from his error-ridden third quarter.  O’Shea was no worse the Simpson, Jones and others in turning the ball over and giving teammates no chance of equalising contests.

I’m sure that Daisy will be determined to make up for that quarter.

Reply #84
I thought Daisy was pretty good, apart from his error-ridden third quarter.  O’Shea was no worse the Simpson, Jones and others in turning the ball over and giving teammates no chance of equalising contests.

I’m sure that Daisy will be determined to make up for that quarter.

Well I'd certainly like to see Daisy get fully back to his previously good form and perform well in his defensive role (or whatever role he gets for that matter). He is a terrier so I think he will and he's important for us this year.

Reply #85
Well I'd certainly like to see Daisy get fully back to his previously good form and perform well in his defensive role (or whatever role he gets for that matter). He is a terrier so I think he will and he's important for us this year.
Daisy is a stop gap in defence whist Marchbank, Byrne, Doc and Willo are unavailable. Much prefer him as a high half forward.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #86
Daisy is a stop gap in defence whist Marchbank, Byrne, Doc and Willo are unavailable. Much prefer him as a high half forward.

Yes I agree Baggers but needs must atm.

Reply #87

In an area where we  struggle there are a number of players we could move into the forward line.

Although he's struggled there before I'd like to see Jones play a couple of games forward in a 'chaos' role.
Thomas and Simpson are both getting plenty of the ball.
Play them at half forward for a bit.
No, they're not the future...but they are the present...and it would help our young forwards to have  a few other 'distractions' for other sides to worry about.
When Marchbank comes back I'd also like to see him getting a run as a forward.
Yep, we have some good young prospects in Kerr and McKay...but Marchbank has a couple of years in maturity and I'd like to see what he's capable of as a forward ...now!

Reply #88
One of them corrected me, told me it cannot be true because the earth is only 6500 years old and flat, what more could I say, God Bless Help America! :o
EFA
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #89
To digress a tad, walked into a cafe in inner Melbourne early this morning with my 5 yo lad who was staunchly carrying his recently acquired 2018 AFL footy cards album....

The barrista, a nice young guy, asked the kid which team he followed.

Not realising how shy my kid is (who had not answered due to shyness and turned away), the bloke said oh no, it's not that bad is it?

Then as he finished making the coffee seconds later, followed up with "it's Carlton".

Not even a question, but a statement of fact.

I'm getting really sick of that.

And I have started to question Bolton quite frankly, not the process - the journey - or even Bolton's ability or willingness to "educate",

Granted injuries don't help, but some selections and match days moves (or lack of) this season don't sit well with me.

In my eyes, he has till this stage next season to be fully judged.

Ex teacher? So f',n what really, can he Coach?! The jury is very much out on that score....

Finals, then 4 in a row!