Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 15: Pre Game Prattle: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 21043 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 15: Pre Game Prattle: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #45
If we can keep playing the likes of O'Shea, Mullett etc surely we can play McKay. He'll learn alot more playing in the AFL.

McKay doesn't have a defensive running bone in his body!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #46
McKay doesn't have a defensive running bone in his body!

Not entirely true LP, but he certainly could work harder when the opposition has the ball.  I think that’s something he has to work on the VFL
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #47
Hes a kid and simply not ready.

He can do everything at AFL standard for about 1.5 quarters, and the rest will come with confidence, physical condition and increasing his workrate.

I look around the AFL and I see that the players performing the best are seasoned competitors, and athletic beasts.

We are carrying players for at least half a game, and people will point to the easy targets such as Mullet and Cam O shea, but the reality is, that its blokes like Mckay, Kerr, Cunningham, SPS, Dow, O'Brien, Kennedy, Weitering, SOS that are giving us about 2 to 3 quarters of footy (not sequential, they drop out of games for about 5-10 minutes at a time) but thats enough for opposition to get a run on and score quickly against us, and the ones carrying a significantly bigger load than they should are in their late 20's and early 30's and are breaking down themselves.

Don't ask the question of why isn't he playing.  Its a basic question.  he isnt playing because he isnt 4 quarters at AFL level fit for 22 rounds a season, and he might get a guernsey against Brisbane this week, but we need to pick his opposition because otherwise, its just sending the other blokes out there down a man from the start of the game, which starts to wear thin.  Weve done it a lot this year for various reasons, and have a think about the environments around the AFL.  We are relying on 20 year olds to be 4 quarter AFL performers in so many different roles, where other clubs will have only one or two, and those two dont play every week.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #48
Not entirely true LP, but he certainly could work harder when the opposition has the ball.  I think that’s something he has to work on the VFL

Well, I accept the extreme nature of my comment, but relative to AFL standards he's pretty ordinary! ;D

Hes a kid and simply not ready.

That's the reality of about half our current list!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #50
Indeed. As LP noted, McKay does average 2.3 tackles per game, something that Levi hasn't done since Ratten left. But he has the capability to do much more. He has the agility and pace to make life difficult for tall defenders trying to run away. Hopefully, in time, we will see that.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #51
Should be playing seniors, no question.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #52
Indeed. As LP noted, McKay does average 2.3 tackles per game, something that Levi hasn't done since Ratten left. But he has the capability to do much more. He has the agility and pace to make life difficult for tall defenders trying to run away. Hopefully, in time, we will see that.

That was me..haha.

He does have the ability to do more but I think that has much to do with confidence. If he can nail a breakout game somewhere that might just change things. He dropped a bit in his last couple of games, which can skew people's thinking as he was doing better before then, but he does continue to hit the scoreboard. He's more aggressive when he plays VFL and tends to hit packs pretty hard at times there. Just needs to carry that part over to the AFL.

Reply #53
Tackles are not a very useful stat when a player lets their opponent run off them, or when they offer a single effort.

McKay has a cheap goal mentality, fans pump up his two goals a game but they are not like Jack Riewoldt or Josh Kennedy getting two goals a game. McKay's are cheapies, you do not see him doing 3 or 4 consecutive repeat leads across the top of the square like Riewoldt or Kennedy, but McKay has that level of mobility in him and he could have far more impact by working hard to bring team-mates into the game instead of feasting off them! The work rate from Riewoldt and Kennedy creates a structure that small forwards and mids can operate within, that is what will deliver some positive game results for Carlton!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #54

Totally agree. Not sure what rotting in the 2s does for anyone. Especially when they're getting pumped most weeks - the past 2 weeks aside.

Reply #55
Tackles are not a very useful stat when a player lets their opponent run off them, or when they offer a single effort.

McKay has a cheap goal mentality, fans pump up his two goals a game but they are not like Jack Riewoldt or Josh Kennedy getting two goals a game. McKay's are cheapies, you do not see him doing 3 or 4 consecutive repeat leads across the top of the square like Riewoldt or Kennedy, but McKay has that level of mobility in him and he could have far more impact by working hard to bring team-mates into the game instead of feasting off them! The work rate from Riewoldt and Kennedy creates a structure that small forwards and mids can operate within, that is what will deliver some positive game results for Carlton!

When you're team is averaging 8ish goals a game and you're averaging 2 goals a game I think you've got a right to wonder why you're not playing. I think it's a joke. He definitely needs to find more of the ball.

Reply #56

In fact, there is a huge question!

Harry has great potential but it's doubtful that he will achieve that potential if he is not challenged to deliver in all aspects of his game.  Yes, he has kicked a few goals at AFL level but his overall contribution has been poor.  A bloke with his size, athleticism and ability should be dominating in the VFL, regardless of how well or poorly the team is travelling.  He managed to get in the best players last week, and that's a good sign, but he really needs to start taking games by the scruff of the neck.  If he can do that, he will be ready to take the next step.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #57
In fact, there is a huge question!

Harry has great potential but it's doubtful that he will achieve that potential if he is not challenged to deliver in all aspects of his game.  Yes, he has kicked a few goals at AFL level but his overall contribution has been poor.  A bloke with his size, athleticism and ability should be dominating in the VFL, regardless of how well or poorly the team is travelling.  He managed to get in the best players last week, and that's a good sign, but he really needs to start taking games by the scruff of the neck.  If he can do that, he will be ready to take the next step.

Again: Young forward playing in a VFL team which sometimes can't get the ball over half way. It's a waste of time when he's shown more than a bit of promise at AFL level - again - in a team which is not exactly flooded with forward half supply.

Reply #58
When you're team is averaging 8ish goals a game and you're averaging 2 goals a game I think you've got a right to wonder why you're not playing. I think it's a joke. He definitely needs to find more of the ball.

Riewoldt or Kennedy create another goal or 2 for every goal they kick because of their work-rate, our low scoring is partly a function of the poor running patterns, lack of repeat efforts and lack of defensive pressure from our forwards.

Until we see some positive sacrifices from our KPFs, sacrificial running, creating space, meaningful repeat efforts, shepherds, blocks and consistent defensive pressure, we will languish on the bottom of the ladder. When the big blokes aren't working hard enough, the little blokes are too easily picked off by the defence!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #59
A traffic cone applies more defensive pressure than Levi.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?