Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 17: Post Game whatever : Carlton vs Hawthorn (Read 51254 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 17: Post Game whatever : Carlton vs Hawthorn

Reply #300
It doesn't matter what i think it matters what people who watched these kids in the U18's etc thought.

I remember some talk pre-draft abouth those kids.....which i just searched for from knightmare...
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/knightmares-2010-mock-draft.768543/We got him at 18.
We got him at pick 34. Potential top round pick, we got at 34.

#47 (Richmond) - Luke Mitchell (VIC)
Height: 198cm, Weight: 96kg, DOB: 28/2/1992
Recruited from: Calder Cannons
Style: Jonathan Brown
Range: 26-late[
Why: Very strong overhead as well as on the lead. Powerfully built so maybe some questions on upside. Kicking can be a little off but once he gets it going can kick allot of goals. Missed the start of the season due to injury and came back mid way through to have some very strong games including a very strong TAC Cup Grand Final for the second year in a row which I’m sure will reflect favourably! Some think he might still go 1st round or very close to it but I think his draft range is a little more open than that. /quote]
We got him at 42.

We got 3 potentially 1st round KPPs.

The year after missing out on Talia for Lucas.

We were over the moon.
 :-[

Not on draft day.

I'm basing this on watching people play football.

Not on pre draft write ups.

None of these guys looked like they belonged in an AFL jumper and it showed on game day (Watson showed glimpses sporadically) but none of them showed the sort of form to even get noticed.

You're better off referencing troy menzel.

He showed more ability than most drafted before him.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #301
Most of the ex-player commentators are as weak as p1ss when it comes reportable incidents

I think I'll listen to ex players over dim witted supporters.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #302
I think I'll listen to ex players over dim witted supporters.

:D

So you accepted David King’s statement that Howe’s hit on Cripps was unintentional?

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #303

So you accepted David King’s statement that Howe’s hit on Cripps was unintentional?

Obviously Cripps was trying to draw a free kick for high contact, he should be suspended for deliberately staging! ::)

It's ironic, the reporting, the assertions by some in the media that Cripps went down a little too easily, Patrick Cripps folded up, apparently under light physical pressure. ;)

While Joel Selwood apparently got cleaned up by the rampant ex-sling tackling hard-man Bryce Gibbs the week before with a savage hip and shoulder, once you are Carlton in the eyes of the media, you'll always be Carlton. You cannot escape it changing clubs, so you might as well make the most of it! ;D

Let's stop pretending the media isn't biased, and that there are no favorites!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #304
Off the play as well,  should have been a lot more than two weeks.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #305
Not on draft day.

I'm basing this on watching people play football.

Not on pre draft write ups.

None of these guys looked like they belonged in an AFL jumper and it showed on game day (Watson showed glimpses sporadically) but none of them showed the sort of form to even get noticed.

You're better off referencing troy menzel.

He showed more ability than most drafted before him.

As i said earlier, i didn't watch them play.
Just like i haven't seen Lukosius play this year. But going by what people have said...

I've had years where i've watched U18's comps and got on top of who has it and who hasn't, but not every year.
That year, i didn't see squat, thats why i remember going around reading what the boys were like. At the time, we clearly got some bargains based on what the majority of predictions were saying.

Question is, were those predictions wrong?
or
Did the carlton put the kiss of death on them like so many before them?

Reply #306

I'll take a 2 time premiership player's word over an internet fan but that's just me.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #307
As i said earlier, i didn't watch them play.
Just like i haven't seen Lukosius play this year. But going by what people have said...

I've had years where i've watched U18's comps and got on top of who has it and who hasn't, but not every year.
That year, i didn't see squat, thats why i remember going around reading what the boys were like. At the time, we clearly got some bargains based on what the majority of predictions were saying.

Question is, were those predictions wrong?
or
Did the carlton put the kiss of death on them like so many before them?

This isn't the discussion.   Go back have a look at the post you initially poo pooed. 

Paul Hewson

Reply #308
I'll take a 2 time premiership player's word over an internet fan but that's just me.
You're taking the P here about the smack in the jaw to Cripps right?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #309
This isn't the discussion.   Go back have a look at the post you initially poo pooed.

What i am saying is that right now, we are in the midst of our rebuild. Every kid is a winner right now because, we can't see otherwise.

I've pointed out that this is pretty much always the case when you are 'in the moment'. Its only with hindsight that we say 'this kid was never any good.'

I've tried to show you examples of that, which you disregard because it was not my personal opinion on them. I had no personal opinion on them because i didn't know them from a bar of soap, so i go through and see what the 'experts' thought at the time. That is, those players were not THAT bad.
So either we are incredibly unlucky and all our 'not bad' players turned out to be crap.
OR
We made them crap but not being able to develop them.

This was my original point.
People can't see how any of our players could even possibly turn out to be duds as they are all super amazing and awesome.
I'm just telling you that some will. Reality says they ALWAYS do.

Reply #310
What i am saying is that right now, we are in the midst of our rebuild. Every kid is a winner right now because, we can't see otherwise.

I've pointed out that this is pretty much always the case when you are 'in the moment'. Its only with hindsight that we say 'this kid was never any good.'

I've tried to show you examples of that, which you disregard because it was not my personal opinion on them. I had no personal opinion on them because i didn't know them from a bar of soap, so i go through and see what the 'experts' thought at the time. That is, those players were not THAT bad.
So either we are incredibly unlucky and all our 'not bad' players turned out to be crap.
OR
We made them crap but not being able to develop them.

This was my original point.
People can't see how any of our players could even possibly turn out to be duds as they are all super amazing and awesome.
I'm just telling you that some will. Reality says they ALWAYS do.

That's not what I'm saying either kruddler.   We have done an amazingly bad job at developing our draftees but we've had very few that made you stood up and say, gee we've found one here until now.

Yes rebuild etc, but that's not the point.  I pointed to players who aren't just promising.   They've arrived.  They are playing good footy and doing jobs ahead of their level.  I'm not reaching for a couple of draftees whom we think is talented and listing them as potential 100 gamers like David Cunningham.   I'm pointing at blokes who have played almost as much footy in year one at a higher standard than Matthew Watson did in his 23 games across five years at the club, and by the time he was done we were looking for players to start building around.

Paul Hewson

Reply #311
That's not what I'm saying either kruddler.   We have done an amazingly bad job at developing our draftees but we've had very few that made you stood up and say, gee we've found one here until now.

Yes rebuild etc, but that's not the point.  I pointed to players who aren't just promising.   They've arrived.  They are playing good footy and doing jobs ahead of their level.  I'm not reaching for a couple of draftees whom we think is talented and listing them as potential 100 gamers like David Cunningham.   I'm pointing at blokes who have played almost as much footy in year one at a higher standard than Matthew Watson did in his 23 games across five years at the club, and by the time he was done we were looking for players to start building around.

...and thats fine. The majority of which were taken higher in the draft, you expect them to show more than the blokes we drafted previously.

Williamson - 4th round
Fisher - 2nd round
Dow - 1st round
Curnow - 1st round
Weitering - pick 1
sps - 1st round

Those are the blokes you listed...and where they were taken. You expect them to see more time. But not all of them will live up to the high expectations we have of them right now.

Perhaps Weitering will be found to be too slow for AFL footy? (Especially with some potential changes coming in) Not strong enough for 1-on-1 defending? Perhaps.
Maybe SPS wants to go home and can't adjust to life in the spotlight.
Willo? Perhaps he continues to struggle with his body.

As i said, plenty of reasons why talented players don't make it on the list long term. Most of which is 'unforeseen'.
Its hard to predict why a player might not make it.
Its easy to predict that some players won't.

Reply #312
...and thats fine. The majority of which were taken higher in the draft, you expect them to show more than the blokes we drafted previously.

Williamson - 4th round
Fisher - 2nd round
Dow - 1st round
Curnow - 1st round
Weitering - pick 1
sps - 1st round

Those are the blokes you listed...and where they were taken. You expect them to see more time. But not all of them will live up to the high expectations we have of them right now.

Perhaps Weitering will be found to be too slow for AFL footy? (Especially with some potential changes coming in) Not strong enough for 1-on-1 defending? Perhaps.
Maybe SPS wants to go home and can't adjust to life in the spotlight.
Willo? Perhaps he continues to struggle with his body.

As i said, plenty of reasons why talented players don't make it on the list long term. Most of which is 'unforeseen'.
Its hard to predict why a player might not make it.
Its easy to predict that some players won't.

I don't know why you're fixated on their draft pick number.  We have had high draft picks that haven't looked as good before (Kennedy at the same stage, Russell,  Lucas) and to a lesser extent McKay has some severe question marks over his ability to compete at this level and ditto Cunningham,  but the blokes I've listed aren't just looking talented, they are playing good footy for their age group of draftees,  and in the case of Zac fisher, paddy Dow, and Charlie Curnow are among the first names written on the team sheet every week, and would be gobbled up by every team if for some reason they hit the trade table.

I understand that the chance is there that they don't make it, I appreciate that you're pointing to previous spuds as reasons why whom we had high hopes for, but the reality is that these guys will be Andrew mccinnes stories if they don't make it.  Copped a significant injury and were never the same rather than weren't capable and never looked it which is the whole underlying point of what I'm trying to say.

Paul Hewson

Reply #313
You are pointing out that current players are playing good footy early on. I'm saying that is partially because they were more readymade, we are desperate for talent and injuries are helping their cause. Together with the fact that were 1st round picks and more likely to be AFL ready from day 1. Whereas in the past...the same past where we refused to fully embrace the draft, by comparison, those blokes don't hold up. Well derr.

That doesn't mean they were not highly rated, which some were.
That doesn't mean that we didn't stuff up, which we did.

Overall, i'm just pointing out that most observations done now are done through the navy glasses in terms of young talent now.
Combined with hindisght pointing out our past mistakes were so obviously bad.

Reality is that our current crop are not going to be as good as we think (right now) and some will falter.
Along with the fact our previous players were not as bad as we remember them. We should share the blame for part of the reason for their failure.

Reply #314
You are pointing out that current players are playing good footy early on. I'm saying that is partially because they were more readymade, we are desperate for talent and injuries are helping their cause. Together with the fact that were 1st round picks and more likely to be AFL ready from day 1. Whereas in the past...the same past where we refused to fully embrace the draft, by comparison, those blokes don't hold up. Well derr.

That doesn't mean they were not highly rated, which some were.
That doesn't mean that we didn't stuff up, which we did.

Overall, i'm just pointing out that most observations done now are done through the navy glasses in terms of young talent now.
Combined with hindisght pointing out our past mistakes were so obviously bad.

Reality is that our current crop are not going to be as good as we think (right now) and some will falter.
Along with the fact our previous players were not as bad as we remember them. We should share the blame for part of the reason for their failure.

And I'm disagreeing that your point is valid, because if Dow, Weitering,  and Fisher are ready made players then every draftee is.

I'm not using navy blue glasses either.  I've selected the boys that I can see have the ability to be 100-200 game players.

Paul Hewson