Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 20: Post Game Calm & Civilized Discussion: Carlton vs GWS (Read 24714 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 20: Post Game Calm & Civilized Discussion: Carlton vs GWS

Reply #150
Nietzsche..the fascists favourite. ;)

Actually some of his quotes are pretty relevant to our situation

To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering.

Actually, neither Nietzsche nor his writings were of interest to the Nazis or any other similar organisation. His sister Elizabeth twisted and forged his work to give them a level of acceptability to such groups.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/7018535/Criminal-manipulation-of-Nietzsche-by-sister-to-make-him-look-anti-Semitic.html

Reply #151
I should know that Cookie, having spent some time with Lakota people at Wounded Knee and the Black Hills (although they weren't too fussed about what Custer may or may not have said!).  I suspect that it was more along the lines of "Where the f**k did these c***ts come from?" or perhaps, "I should have paid more attention to basic cavalry tactics."

Kelly Clarkson (related to the Angry Ant?) sang about it but, apparently, Friedrich Nietzsche is to blame and his words are translated as “That which does not kill us, makes us stronger."

Didn't he have some success at FF for the Dees? Oh no, that was David Neitz, apologies.  :)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #152
Wilhelm Friedrich Nietzsche:
"Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker."   from 'Twilight of the Idols').
Translated better:   “That which does not destroy me, makes me stronger.”

So we should be damn strong soon!

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
Original:   Wer mit Ungeheuern kämpft, mag zusehn, dass er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer wird. Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein.   Beyond Good and Evil

I'm afraid that is us. We've looked too long at those below, so we have become them. :(

Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #153
Thanks Crash, of making something sensible from the bewildering array of gibberish that Nietzsche promulgated.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #154
Does he who minds gorillas become a gorilla?  ???

Reply #155

It depends on whether the gorillas rip the minder's arms off.  Keeping your arms is a positive  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #156
It depends on whether the gorillas rip the minder's arms off.  Keeping your arms is a positive  :)

So the gorilla's objective would be to render the minder armless?

Reply #157
So the gorilla's objective would be to render the minder armless?

Once again, we need a "like" button!  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #158

Yes, and we are all hoping Weitering stares long and deep!

Quid Pro Quo Clarice!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #159
In thought, perhaps, unless there is access to genetic modification.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #160
I can’t be bothered watching it but am curious by what you mean he separated 21 players from 22-28?

Essentially means that 21 fit minus 14 injuries = cupboard bare
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #161
Think we had a go at a few big fish like Kelly, Sheil and then last season tried to get mid sized fish Rockliff,Smith, Saad etc and tried for Caddy the previous years when we traded Touhy..so I think SOS might be bending the truth that we didnt try...the money got big and the real big fish said no..
When you are bottom you are not going to be a destination club unless you are paying big overs and recruiting does get hard.......the job is much harder for SOS than his GWS days and having a inexperienced coach doesn't help either..Sheedy I hate with a passion but he was a good salesman and players like Ward, Davis, Heath Shaw, Mumford were nice gets to help build a team, if we had those types we wouldnt be bottom.
Agree you cant sell misery because that wont sell memberships but I think the Carlton supporters are fairly switched on to where we are at and its crossroads in 2019....its what the media sell to the public as a reasonable goal for 2019.....I dont see what the club sell as being as being taken seriously anymore....green shoots, synergies, defined by pressure wont be acceptable in 2019.

I’m sure there are guys who don’t want to come and put in any hard yards, and you know what ? Good luck to them... but I’d be looking for the guys that are prepared to work and strive.
Who wants to run around with The two Paddy’s ? Who wants to deliver to Big H or Charlie for the next 10 years ?
Come and achieve greatness boys...
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #162
I’m sure there are guys who don’t want to come and put in any hard yards, and you know what ? Good luck to them... but I’d be looking for the guys that are prepared to work and strive.
Who wants to run around with The two Paddy’s ? Who wants to deliver to Big H or Charlie for the next 10 years ?
Come and achieve greatness boys...

I think that's the line that the club needs to sell to prospective players alright. Let's hope our sales staff are up to it and we score some quality talent! As EB states, 2019 will be critical and we just have to get set up for it this year in the drafts and trades.

Reply #163
The kids aren't letting the club down,  it's the middle tier of blokes who have been decidedly underwhelming.  Aside from Wright and Daisy (after three poor years mind you)  the club has received nothing from this demographic.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #164
The kids aren't letting the club down,  it's the middle tier of blokes who have been decidedly underwhelming.  Aside from Wright and Daisy (after three poor years mind you)  the club has received nothing from this demographic.

Agree..when the rebuild started we failed to address the middle tier like Paul Roos suggested and we have been caught out and now have to make that the priority at trade/draft time.
Its set us back a couple of years and we are in the same boat as Stkilda who did the same thing.....the bunnies we brought in at the last minute like OShea, Mullett, Shaw etc are useless and
Lang/Kennedy wont cut it vs class like what GWS have on the field...
We need better quality mid tier players as well not rubbish castoffs who think we are a easy place to get a game.....
Looks like we are going to have plenty of competition too...http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-07/bombers-prepared-to-hit-trade-period-again