Skip to main content
Topic: Pre-Game Pressure: AFL 2019 Rd 12: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 17379 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre-Game Pressure: AFL 2019 Rd 12: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #90
Agree.
Marchbank, although incredibly injury prone, would be my pick of the GWS guys, with Setterfield and Pickett being second and third most promising.

Reply #91
Looking at the teams, it's very unlikely there will be any sort of "bounce"

I'm happy to be proven wrong!

Facts are facts, we started a rebuild overloaded with lots of talented kids from rock bottom, most clubs start from being on the slide with a mix or retained seniors and kids yet still slide further, yet fans expect us to have some sort of meteoric rise from a rebuild built at the bottom.

It's unrealtistic!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #92
Did they let Bolton select the team one last time  ;)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #93
Did they let Bolton select the team one last time  ;)

That explains it................... cause and effect! ::)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #94
The players have no where to hide tomorrow. They have new a coach, the football world is watching. I am expecting much of the same.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #95
Is the team still selected by match committee or by the senior coach because someone has to take responsibility for for selections like recalling O’Brien bloody hell that Schumacher is a goer  I now he is still building the body but consistently in the better players in the two’s same as Goddard who was rookied as a back up, well the full back is out let’s play the back up.  Obviously wasn’t Bolton cause the same stupid selections each week happening this week!
Maybe it’s a conspiracy by the match committee to give whoever the coach is this week no hope by playing blokes out of position.
Like Ed etc casboult trying hard but that experiment should be at nb not in the ones.

Reply #96
Is the team still selected by match committee or by the senior coach because someone has to take responsibility for for selections like recalling O’Brien bloody hell that Schumacher is a goer  I now he is still building the body but consistently in the better players in the two’s same as Goddard who was rookied as a back up, well the full back is out let’s play the back up.  Obviously wasn’t Bolton cause the same stupid selections each week happening this week!
Maybe it’s a conspiracy by the match committee to give whoever the coach is this week no hope by playing blokes out of position.
Like Ed etc casboult trying hard but that experiment should be at nb not in the ones.

I understand it is selected by the MC of which the head coach is a member.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #97
Fascinating game.
And difficult to pick the result.

Will we get the 'new coach' bounce is the big question.
You would think that Teague will most likely free them up and  adopt a more free flowing direct style.
That could result in some attractive football.
But it's also fraught with danger as it could result in us being scored against heavily.

How will Brisbane react....mentally they should be prepared that this will not be an easy game.
A lot depends on how they really accept that.
You can be prepared but deep down there may be a feeling "it's still just Carlton." and they may still go into the game thinking they just have to turn up.

On the other hand Brisbane can apply pressure as well as any team.
Their efforts in their game against Adelaide earlier on were as good as any I've seen this year.
If they bring that we'll struggle to kick a winning score.

Let's call it a draw.

Reply #98
Not too difficult for me to pick it Lods.....their midfield goes way deeper than ours. Martin is a more than capable ruckman who's very mobile and will test Kreuzer. They've got arguably the best FB in the competition at the moment in Andrews which means McKay will have to be at his absolute best...and hopefully get some decent delivery for a change. Hipwood took us to the cleaners last year and that was with Jones playing. Their small forwards with Cameron, Rayner, McCarthy and Taylor will be too much for us to cover.

I'd love to think there'll be a lift from the players and all I'm hoping for is something remotely competitive...not like the crap we've served up in the last few weeks.

Reply #99
I'd give us some chance at Marvel, if it was in Qld then we would be slaughtered, we might get some dead cat bounce with the new coach and the Lions might be drinking their own bathwater given they are the media's love team at the minute.
Martin probably isnt Kreuzers ideal opponent but if our man can break even we can call that a win, hopefully Teague has scouted Brusbane better than we have previously and their
playmakers are manned up and not allowed to run free.

Reply #100
I heard one of the North players talking about their post-Pudding Face win and he dismissed the idea of a change in game plan.  He said that after focusing on a game plan since the pre-season, it would be impossible to change it mid-season.  The only difference was that the players felt they had more freedom to execute the game plan without fear of the consequences of failure.

I suspect that the same will be true for us; same game plan (including a shambolic forward line) but more freedom in how the players go about it.

I'm not expecting a dead cat bounce and Brisbane are too well-drilled and have better leadership, on and off the field, to let us under their guard.  Perhaps a couple of Robbo brain fades will keep us in the game  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #101
DJC....I reckon our poor skills and decision making will trump any Robbo brain fades...by a long way.

Reply #102
DJC....I reckon our poor skills and decision making will trump any Robbo brain fades...by a long way.

You're right ... but we can live in hope  :)

Reply #103
True....been living in hope for a long time so one more week won't hurt! ;D

Reply #104
I heard one of the North players talking about their post-Pudding Face win and he dismissed the idea of a change in game plan.  He said that after focusing on a game plan since the pre-season, it would be impossible to change it mid-season.  The only difference was that the players felt they had more freedom to execute the game plan without fear of the consequences of failure.

I suspect that the same will be true for us; same game plan (including a shambolic forward line) but more freedom in how the players go about it.

I'm not expecting a dead cat bounce and Brisbane are too well-drilled and have better leadership, on and off the field, to let us under their guard.  Perhaps a couple of Robbo brain fades will keep us in the game  :)

DT said there will be minor changes, more offensive... especially forwards playing deeper (which tells me BB liked them playing further up the ground.).
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17