Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2019 Rd 10: Northern Blues vs. Coburg at Preston (Read 7497 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2019 Rd 10: Northern Blues vs. Coburg at Preston

Reply #30
I'd still like Matt Kennedy to be given the opportunities at senior level that Dow and LOB get.....

Can't see Kennedy getting a gig while Setterfield and Ed are in the midfield rotations, he has to displace one of them!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #31
Can't see Kennedy getting a gig while Setterfield and Ed are in the midfield rotations, he has to displace one of them!

you're probably right, sadly.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #32
The couple of games I saw him play earlier in the year I thought he looked ok but was very quiet. 10-15 possessions so to see him making progress is great. We need to see more of our later picks putting their hand up.

So far we've seen modest progress from a lot of our later (non-mature) draftees like Macreadie, Lebois, Finbar, Kerr, BSOS and Polson. Jack and Williamson have been the 2 best by quite a long way.

Reckon Kerr has gone well and would thrive in a senior position somewhere. He's a bit locked out right now. I'd add him to Jack and Williamson.

Reckon Polson issue is reading the game initially. Runs around a lot but struggles to be where the ball actually is. When he does go ok it's usually the 2nd half of a game when he's reading it a lot better. Macreadie showed quite a bit early but injuries have held him back. No where in the back line for him to play though. Like Kerr, locked out, although, unlike Kerr, whether he's good enough is another matter.

Reply #33
Reckon Kerr has gone well and would thrive in a senior position somewhere. He's a bit locked out right now. I'd add him to Jack and Williamson.

Reckon Polson issue is reading the game initially. Runs around a lot but struggles to be where the ball actually is. When he does go ok it's usually the 2nd half of a game when he's reading it a lot better. Macreadie showed quite a bit early but injuries have held him back. No where in the back line for him to play though. Like Kerr, locked out, although, unlike Kerr, whether he's good enough is another matter.

x2 on Kerr...
Polson is a VFL player only IMO, has a go but lacks a few tricks..
MacReadie...dont know what to make of him, started off ok in his intial season  but this season in the games I have watched he has been ordinary.

Reply #34
The couple of games I saw him play earlier in the year I thought he looked ok but was very quiet. 10-15 possessions so to see him making progress is great. We need to see more of our later picks putting their hand up.

So far we've seen modest progress from a lot of our later (non-mature) draftees like Macreadie, Lebois, Finbar, Kerr, BSOS and Polson. Jack and Williamson have been the 2 best by quite a long way.

BSOS and Finbar should be in the development team but that was scrapped. Both just pups.

Reply #35
I'd still like Matt Kennedy to be given the opportunities at senior level that Dow and LOB get.....

I'd like him to show enough to justify getting more opportunities.

Reply #36

Different players though.

The latter 2 are speed and run. Kennedy is the grunt. Setterfield is a mix of the 2, and showing more than Kennedy.

Reply #37
It was great that Alex Johnson got through the game.  I hope he has some luck with his knees into the future.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #38
It was great that Alex Johnson got through the game.  I hope he has some luck with his knees into the future.

Yep, here's hoping. Good luck AJ.

Reply #39
Different players though.

The latter 2 are speed and run. Kennedy is the grunt. Setterfield is a mix of the 2, and showing more than Kennedy.

Equality of opportunity, not equality of outcome.

Setters is showing more than Kennedy? When was that?

Must have missed it....

A fit Kennedy is far from slow. he can play inside or outside and play forward....and he's a footballer.

And he can hit the door of a barn unlike Dow who misses the entire side!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #40
The next opportunity Kennedy gets at AFL level, I'd like it to be in a tagging role in the midfield.

Reply #41
The next opportunity Kennedy gets at AFL level, I'd like it to be in a tagging role in the midfield.

Future planning, the next Ed?

I must admit, I think long term this is potentially the best role for a Kennedy or SoJ type as I can see the other mids going past them if they naturally improve! Further both are capable in medium forward roles if needed, very Ed like!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #42
Future planning, the next Ed?

I must admit, I think long term this is potentially the best role for a Kennedy or SoJ type as I can see the other mids going past them if they naturally improve! Further both are capable in medium forward roles if needed, very Ed like!

Correct. Not everyone is/will be a genuine offensively driven midfielder at AFL level. We need role players all over the park, but certainly in the midfield. eg. Ed Curnow types. Give Kennedy a role at the next level. I get a feeling he could be a better role player, a dog chasing a bone type.

Reply #43
Correct. Not everyone is/will be a genuine offensively driven midfielder at AFL level. We need role players all over the park, but certainly in the midfield. eg. Ed Curnow types. Give Kennedy a role at the next level. I get a feeling he could be a better role player, a dog chasing a bone type.

I agree, Kennedy and SoJ both have a footy brain and I suspect the discipline of tagging suits their focused way of going about stuff!

Plus, if or when we manage to get on a roll they are players who can also make themselves dangerous and hit the scoreboard!

Given recent insights into Jones and how he goes about preparation, I wonder if he could tag someone like Dangerfield or Bontempelli, he's got the speed and strength, when he was rucking at VFL level he looked OK in traffic?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #44
Kennedy needs to work on his endurance base if he's going to tag.   Needs to get to more contests and stay with the top players,  none of whom you'd call less than elite athletes.

I've seen a bit from Setterfield to suggest he could be handy.   Kicks the ball to smart places, and involved in a lot of scores.  Still needs to tidy disposal,  work on pace and agility.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?