Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 13: Carlton vs. Western Bulldogs (Read 24118 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 13: Carlton vs. Western Bulldogs

Reply #120
Are those bagging SPS and Fish and Dow, watching any of the games live?

I don't know, seeing them live I see a great future but as has been said a trillion times on here, they are just kids who have been thrust into roles that ideally they would work towards, have time in the 2's, etc, but we don't have any cover for them.

SPS and Fish are two of the smartest footballers I've seen for a long time, there's rarely stupid long bombs, they're considered and accurate.  Defensively they're too small to take anyone down, does that come in time?  I assume so but I don't know if their physical development is complete.

And Dow will be something special, he has something.  He is 19.

Reply #121
Also, Weiters was widely constantly criticised on here in the past, and last night he was the one I wanted to have the ball, I wanted him to be the one to mark.  As good as Casbolt was and i"m happy for him that he's doing well, I still close my eyes when he has to kick it, hoping for the best!  He took great marks last night but I don't have the level of faith in him that I absolutely have for Weiters now.  Weiters is a beast (a slow beast, tho!)

Reply #122
Slow starts are not helping the results the side comes away with. Surely with the bye, the coaches have a chance to address a few simple issues. Why is the tackle count so low in the first quarter. One percenters and general pressure on your opponent. Can the club be so ignorant to miss these simple issues? You don’t need huge bodies to address these problems. Get some of the basics working better Teague. A couple of player changes and things could swing your way. Don’t allow lazy football to exist at the club.

Many a coach has said "You start the game in the same manner you finished the last one"
With that in mind, go back and look week to week and it scarily accurate.

Start with the bulldogs game. Basically dominated the game. Next week, dominated the first half against the hawks.
Went missing in the 2nd half against the hawks. Next week, went missing for the whole game against North.
Started relatively slowly against the pies early on, but came back, only to go missing again at the end. Next week, went missing for the whole game against GWS.

fast forward,....bombers game, pathetic. Next week, 1st quarter against lions, pathetic.
etc

Based on that, we should start well against Freo. But can we sustain it??

Reply #123

Based on that, we should start well against Freo. But can we sustain it??

Hopefully.... we can't afford 5-6 goal head starts.
A time will come when we don't hit back and we'll cop a flogging.

In fact we were pretty luck the Bulldogs didn't fully convert their dominance in general play early on to the scoreboard yesterday.

Reply #124

I don't know, seeing them live I see a great future but as has been said a trillion times on here, they are just kids who have been thrust into roles that ideally they would work towards, have time in the 2's, etc, but we don't have any cover for them.

SPS and Fish are two of the smartest footballers I've seen for a long time, there's rarely stupid long bombs, they're considered and accurate.  Defensively they're too small to take anyone down, does that come in time?  I assume so but I don't know if their physical development is complete.

Spot on.

With SPS and Fisher, being asked to do more than a young, smaller body can do. Sheesh, how long has Murphy been in the system and still has trouble nailing strong tackles against a bigger opponent (yes, I know his shoulders are also suspect).

As I mentioned previously, put another big body or two in that midfield and SPS and Fisher can play on the outside and use their smarts to hurt opponents with disposal.

Totally agree re Dow. In an ideal world he'd have spent a couple of years in the Magoos but we've thrown him straight in. Will be a terrific player.

Good to see Setterfield gain some confidence and improve disposal... might soon be able to go into the midfield.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #125
same old problem long bombs into fwd line,opp run it out. Our fwds any chance they could lead to ball carrier no we want to take a specky or over the back,finally we are kidding ourselves with this bullcrap comeback,at 3/4 time game was there to be won and we got pantsed by 5 goals.

Reply #126

Yes, live and TV.

Dow should not play 1s until he can consistently win 20 possies+ in a 2s game and do something useful with the ball.

No one is suggesting he won't become a good player just his present contribution is zip.

Has been all year really.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #127
O’Brien again yesterday showed why he will be very handy for us as we surge forward. Players are gaining confidence in sending the ball to him, knowing the high percentage of his decision making is very good. Again last night he was involved in some of our most exciting passages of play.

Reply #128
When we go to centre bounces with Cripps and 2 of Walsh, SPS, Dow and Fisher (which we do at times) we are setting some unrealistic expectations despite Cripps being a beast. I think these kids all have bright futures, but they need more time to build their bodies and skills (and learn to tackle - HARD).

Throwing them all in the midfield together at once isn't an optimal strategy, we need to assign them some other roles to let them keep learning the game and build up to being the 2023 premiership wining midfield  :)

Sadly our newest player, Walsh, is the best performer of this young midfield cohort. I'd keep Walsh on a wing with some rotations through the centre for the rest of the year. He is developing well but we have to make sure he doesn't take too many physical beatings while his body builds up. I really can't wait to see him in the guts though once he has added 6kgs of muscle and can dish out some physical work to go with his brilliant outside game.

I don't think reserves time is the right way to go with SPS, but neither is keeping him in the midfield in the seniors. I would like to see him tried on the half back line for the rest of this year in a role similar to Johannisen, but with more tackling. A role that lets him use his pace and agility to run and carry the ball out of the back line so we can reduce our reliance on kicking down the boundary line or switching play. Putting SPS down back we'd have to consider using one of Thomas, Simpson or Newman in the midfield though.

Fisher may need some time in the reserves as he seems down this year and needs to find his confidence again. While this would be ideal, its hard to see how we do drop Fisher as there is literally nobody knocking on the door in the reserves that could come in and do better. Maybe Deluca once he's ready to go? If he's in the seniors, I'd have Fisher play more as a half forward where he could start to focus on chasing hard, tackling and applying pressure to lock the ball in our forward line. I'd also like him to start showing some heart and ferocity like Puopolo or Zorko. So when small defenders or opposition mids get the ball, Fisher should be trying to bury them in the turf at every chance. He may be smaller, but I don't want him to turn out like certain senior players who won't go hard.

Of this group, Dow probably is the one that needs some time in the twos the most. He should be played on the ball and at half forward there with a focus on improving his kicking, tackling pressure and endurance. I think he could also do with a confidence boost and his pace could really make him a weapon at that level. But he needs to start turning out regular 25+ disposal games before we bring him back. Until he sorts out these issues I think Kennedy is the better option for the big stage. He may not have Dow's speed, but he has regularly been our best in the reserves and deserves the opportunity to continue improving his game in the seniors. I think Kennedy is physically ready to go, but he needs to learn to lift his work rate. Maybe a tagging role at times will help him with that.

If only we could mix Kennedy's size and strength with Dow's speed and Simpson's spirit!

Reply #129
Plenty of the old....player x should not be playing until....statements going around.

Well from the 'best 22' thread, there are at least a few of those blokes picked in the majority of peoples sides.
So, unless we bring in a sub-par performing player to fill in the position of the kid who "needs to go back to the 2's", then we are better off keeping the kids in to begin with.

Reply #130
Also, Weiters was widely constantly criticised on here in the past, and last night he was the one I wanted to have the ball, I wanted him to be the one to mark.  As good as Casbolt was and i"m happy for him that he's doing well, I still close my eyes when he has to kick it, hoping for the best!  He took great marks last night but I don't have the level of faith in him that I absolutely have for Weiters now.  Weiters is a beast (a slow beast, tho!)

Yes, I thought that was a win for the Dogs, probably a sign of our rookie coaching panel.

Even so the defence played OK and problems with opposition goals last night were again the Mids and HFF getting the balance right!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #131

I think that the problem with Fisher, Dow and Samo is that they are usually under enormous pressure.  The emergence of Setterfield should help but we desperately need another inside mid and a mindset focused on looking after teammates with blocks, shepherds and team-oriented stuff generally.

When Ed was moved on to Bontompelli, Liberatore immediately began bumping and blocking Ed, making his task harder and life easier for the Bont.  The last time I saw one of our players do that it was the Chief dealing with Judd’s tagger.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #132
When Ed was moved on to Bontompelli, Liberatore immediately began bumping and blocking Ed, making his task harder and life easier for the Bont.  The last time I saw one of our players do that it was the Chief dealing with Judd’s tagger.

It's just not part of our culture or game plan, and it's been absent for a dozen years or more!

We have it back to front, we have Cripps and Judd types sacrificing themselves for the B-Graders!

Even last night, watch those couple of Cripps fast breaks in the last quarter, a couple of our blokes nearby stand watching as he fights off opponents!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #133
O’Brien again yesterday showed why he will be very handy for us as we surge forward. Players are gaining confidence in sending the ball to him, knowing the high percentage of his decision making is very good. Again last night he was involved in some of our most exciting passages of play.

I must have been watching a different game..be more handy in the twos learning how to kick and hit a target...16 kicks @59% Disposal efficiency including a shocker out on the full at a critical time.
The Dogs wingman in Lipinksi has about 27 @86% plus 2 goals.....not a bad afternoons work for a 20 gamer...
LOB for a pick 10 has a long way to go and is lucky we dont bat deep in the two's, he wont be looking forward to Deluca getting fit either.

Reply #134
Yep, that's glaring to me too.  There is very rarely any sheparding or blocking by our players.  I don't know why, I would think this would be one of the easiest things to implement, when you give off the ball to a player, help them move forward by blocking your opponent and/or his from going after him!  Really, a no brainer.  Saw that too many times last night where we gave it off then stood there, job done apparently  ::)