Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion; AFL Rd 16: Carlton vs Fremantle (Read 9566 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion; AFL Rd 16: Carlton vs Fremantle

Reply #75
Dow had 6 clearances and 11 touches...... in the first quarter last night.

No way he was going to keep that pace up for the whole game, but that was his best effort.
Last week it was more consistent, but did not dominate like he did in q1 last night.

Best quarter of footy I've seen from any player in a long time.....

All the hoo-har about Serong, Cerra, Brayshaw etc.

The Wow turned up. now to turn 1 quarter into 3 or 4 and he'll be juddy v2! (no pressure)

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #76

The Wow turned up. now to turn 1 quarter into 3 or 4 and he'll be juddy v2! (no pressure)

Yeah, after last nights effort i've gone off Cerra.
Not worth the ransom they'll demand.

Reply #77
Thought Kennedy was one of the main reasons we held sway in Q4.

Top 3 for mine.

Kennedy had 17 touches in the 2nd half.   11 in the last quarter.    Surprised how well he ran out the game.

Reply #78
Thought Dow played his best game, forget about how many possies.. It was his ball use and decision making, no errors and his foot pass to Jack on a tight lead in traffic was  excellent. Got tagged after that opening quarter and only had another 11 possies but didn't make an errors either.
I thought Brayshaw was good for Freo and better than Cerra whose kicking isnt perfect imo. Not paying 750k for what I witnessed last night... Prefer Brayshaw who is a neat composed player.

Reply #79
I could only get to see the 2H but was very pleased with how we went overall. Walsh = genius, rapt with the improvement shown by Dow and Kennedy. Could it be that these 2 guys will finally pay off the investment?  :D

PS Loved Jack's game - worked his butt off.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #80

No way he was going to keep that pace up for the whole game, but that was his best effort.
Last week it was more consistent, but did not dominate like he did in q1 last night.
I understand that perspective, but a lot of the peak 1st Qtr highlight is down to chance in the moment, a bounce going the right way, an opponent turning left instead of right.

For me last week's consistency of effort is not about chance, which is why I rate it higher. Last week I thought Dow delivered a 4-Qtr effort and sacrifice, even when he didn't win the ball he was shepherding and sacrificing for players around him, tackling, it's doing the 4-Qtr effort stuff which generates the opportunities to let you dominate when the bounce starts to favour you. When you are hard to play against for 4-Qtrs, your opponents aren't so fresh and eager as to easily stop your momentum when you get it. So last night, for me Dow's major highlight was probably his last quarter, when he dealt himself back into the game after losing momentum! Same for Walsh and Kennedy. It has not been a trait of our club for a long time, we were a one effort team.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #81
I understand that perspective, but a lot of the peak 1st Qtr highlight is down to chance in the moment, a bounce going the right way.

For me last week's consistency of effort is not about chance, which is why I rate it higher. Last week had 4-Qtr effort and sacrifice, it's doing the 4-Qtr effort which generates the opportunities that let you dominate when the bounce starts to favour you.

So he is the luckiest player on the ground? Gimme a spell.

He dominated.
He showed solid efforts later on too.

This is the same thing he showed in the pre-season games before it disappeared.

You think last week was better....i disagree.

Reply #82
No as usual you've taken to asserting an unrealistic non-existent extremist view to try and win an argument that doesn't really exist, it's pointless recidivist behaviour you exhibit here week after week.

You are free to disagree, we are free to disagree, but you shouldn't resort to subterfuge to try and discredit the opinions of other forum members.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #83
At least our best qtrs were bookends!

Glass half full:
Played with vigour, intensity, passion... and some of the tackling by us was ruthless.
Kennedy brings much needed hardness, work ethic and extroversion.
Speaking of work ethic - SOJ. He would be a real headache for opposition sides.
Whatever Crippa said to the lads at 3/4 time... bravo, they changed momentum which is a strong positive step. Hope they learn from just how they changed the tide, then do it sooner!
Paddy showed what he is capable of, again. With continued faith from the club, confidence, games under the belt he will become a key part of our midfield group.
To a man the backline stood firm with some pretty special efforts from each of them when called on.

Glass half empty:
Give 52 inside 50s/more scoring shots to the better sides and we get pummeled.
When the D1ckers beefed up there midfield in the 2nd we folded and were way too slow to respond.
Meat was a liability for 3 qtrs. Instrumental in the win with his last qtr effort.

The Pussycats will do their homework on us and make changes during the game which will test our ability to not only maintain passion/work rate but also make necessary in-game changes as well.

The TT has to do something about his hair style. Too much like Shemp Howard with that part down the middle!
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #84
Yeah, after last nights effort i've gone off Cerra.
Not worth the ransom they'll demand.

Same, missed a sitter and was less than impressive. If he came cheap no worries, but I wouldn't sell the farm to get him. Wouldn't even trade SPS for him and you you know what I think of him. Brayshaw on he other hand!
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #85

He cracked in, burst from packs, burst from under packs, kicked a goal, set up many, you can see the confidence building. Once he gets the consistency, he and Walshy will be unstoppable.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #86

13 contested, 7 score involvements, 8 clearances, 4 inside 50's.   His inside work was very good.

He did fade in the 2nd half.   Needs to works on his endurance.   Missed pre-season with his knee won't have helped.

Reply #87
I could only get to see the 2H but was very pleased with how we went overall. Walsh = genius, rapt with the improvement shown by Dow and Kennedy. Could it be that these 2 guys will finally pay off the investment?  :D

PS Loved Jack's game - worked his butt off.
Instead only gets criticised for his surname, busted an absolute boiler last night. Brings others into the game and runs all day. Kicked a couple last night which was handy, commentators said he was practicing set shots for about an hour before the game.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #88

He dominated.
He showed solid efforts later on too.

This is the same thing he showed in the pre-season games before it disappeared.

You think last week was better....i disagree.
me too
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #89
Considering we had a third of our playing list unavailable, last night was a pretty good effort. Freo has been playing well and they had all their good players in. The first quarter and a half we were on top, the next quarter and a half, they were on top and at three quarter time it was all equal. In the last quarter we just wanted it more. Winners win. There seems to be light at the end of the tunnel which isn't an on coming train.
Dow, Kennedy, SPS, Walsh and Stocker all did well. My one knock on Walsh has been that though he gets the ball a lot, and though he is pretty good user of the ball, I felt he hasn't really impacted on the games he is in or changed the direction of the game. I always believed he eventually would. Last night he created the opportunity, took the the opportunity and sealed the game. I believe we will see more of this.
I always worry when Newman, Plowman and Jones have the ball in defence as they will always stuff it up at least once and cost us a goal. Three of Freo's goal came directly form their stuff ups and they got one from a dodgy free kick. Considering they only four other goals for the night, and two of those were rippers, I thought our defence was pretty good.
We have changed our approach going into the forward line from the 'Kick it to Kernahan' (McKay) plan to actually separating out in the forward line and picking the best target. It seems to be working. Who would have thought.
I thought Silvagni was very good, DeKonning competed, Harry took his opportunities and Casboult stood up when counted. I also thought that with Cripps being unable to kick and therefore having to hand pass meant he was far more creative and brought more team mates into the game. It also meant that there were more players around him when he had the ball so he wasn't caught as much. I am also glad we have Saad.
A good win, we just need another six or seven for the year.