Skip to main content
Topic: JLT game 3 (Read 63086 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: JLT game 3

Reply #225
OK.

I thought Bolton can across as a little deflated after the Freo game, particularly in regards to skill levels and turnovers. The man looked flat.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #226
could we just talk about the footy please!

Yep
@ Kruds and Paul...I think that's pretty much sorted guys but if not you could probably take it to PM's.
Malthouse and Ratten are legitimate topics.... even if they probably have been done to death, but use one of the threads in the Coaches Box section to continue that debate.

Reply #227
OK.

I thought Bolton can across as a little deflated after the Freo game, particularly in regards to skill levels and turnovers. The man looked flat.

I think he has an enormous task on his plate and we'll probably see the effects of that on his demeanour as the season progresses.
Obama's hair turned grey with the responsibilities of the Presidency.
I suspect Bolton has a bigger job. :)

Reply #228
Yep
@ Kruds and Paul...I think that's pretty much sorted guys but if not you could probably take it to PM's.
Malthouse and Ratten are legitimate topics.... even if they probably have been done to death, but use one of the threads in the Coaches Box section to continue that debate.

Apologies ladies and gents. No doubt the temptation will always be there, but I'll try to resist as much as possible.

Reply #229
Re Weitering. I've been saying it, play him at CHF. I know he;'s young but if you're good enough, you're good enough.

He can still switch back if need be.

The team for me is Weitering at CHF and Marchbank at CHB. I'd have those two able to swap positions at times in those two key posts.

Think Marchbank will become more than a key defender. Onball/Forward for him at some point.

So from that much improved (yet still skills error riddled) games against Freo, we have found two legit young forwards to build around - Weitering and Pickett.

Young Pickett has some Jeffy Farmer about him. He's a natural up forward, as is Weitering, who I think has the Lance Whitnall footy nous. Invaluable.

Reply #230
Re Weitering. I've been saying it, play him at CHF. I know he;'s young but if you're good enough, you're good enough.

If they play him forward I'll be so pissed off, he's got a decade of AFL football ahead of him, we don't have to throw him to the wolves in his second season!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #231
If they play him forward I'll be so pissed off, he's got a decade of AFL football ahead of him, we don't have to throw him to the wolves in his second season!

Fully understandable LP. I think he'll need some time down back also.

Reply #232
I think he has an enormous task on his plate and we'll probably see the effects of that on his demeanour as the season progresses.
Obama's hair turned grey with the responsibilities of the Presidency.
I suspect Bolton has a bigger job. :)

Agree Lods. BB will be severely tested in the coming couple of years to be sure and I put it down to an ingrained "culture" with a few of the "senior" players that will persist until we can offload them all. Our future is definitely with our present youth and who we might be able to bring in over the next 2 - 3 years. BB just has to try and survive that period and to do that he needs to show progress in the way that we play and in getting enough morale boosting wins. I wish him well but it's a bl00dy tough gig imo.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #233

He can still switch back if need be.

The team for me is Weitering at CHF and Marchbank at CHB. I'd have those two able to swap positions at times in those two key posts.

Think Marchbank will become more than a key defender. Onball/Forward for him at some point.

So from that much improved (yet still skills error riddled) games against Freo, we have found two legit young forwards to build around - Weitering and Pickett.

Young Pickett has some Jeffy Farmer about him. He's a natural up forward, as is Weitering, who I think has the Lance Whitnall footy nous. Invaluable.

x2....You need to kick goals to win games and we just cant do that with the players we have down forward, if Weitering can establish himself down forward its going to make it easier for
Harry McKay, SOSOS and Patrick Kerr to slot in when their turn comes.
Its a a fair load on Weitering but I think he can handle it as he is so mature and advanced compared to most newbie players...

Reply #234
x2....You need to kick goals to win games and we just cant do that with the players we have down forward, if Weitering can establish himself down forward its going to make it easier for
Harry McKay, SOSOS and Patrick Kerr to slot in when their turn comes.
Its a a fair load on Weitering but I think he can handle it as he is so mature and advanced compared to most newbie players...

Yep agree elwood.

Think Weitering, Pickett, Jack Silvagni, Charlie Curnow, Wright and Casboult are a good start in the forward line.

Harry McKay and Pat Kerr in time also we hope. You could add other crumbers in SPS, Lebois and Sumner too. Think young Lebois, with Pickett, could make for a brilliant tandem.

Casboult and Kreuzer swpping tall forward/ruck gives us a big monster up forward also.

I think Marchbank, and Plowman too, are more than capable up forward. Rowe is another.

Reply #235
I think Marchbank, and Plowman too, are more than capable up forward. Rowe is another.

Cmon Pratty lets not get too carried away.

MORE THAN capable? They are still proving if they are capable down back.

I agree that there is potential for them to play both, as well as rowe, as well as weitering.

BUT, is there any danger that we can find a player that is 'more than capable up forward' who isn't better suited to the backline?

Reply #236
So many basic skill errors, balls being kick OOF and dropped marks we should take.

They say they don't punish skill errors, but our gameplan and winning the footy seem fine, we just fail to execute over and over again. Marchbank the worst offender across these games.

Also anyone worried how often we are getting beaten over the back? This is a Bolton thing, and hope it gets rectified asap.

Someone said Sandilands killed Kreuzer? MK clearly won that battle and he looks to be in good form heading into Round 1.

Picket played himself into Round 1, Armfield played himself out of it.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #237
So many basic skill errors, balls being kick OOF and dropped marks we should take.

They say they don't punish skill errors, but our gameplan and winning the footy seem fine, we just fail to execute over and over again. Marchbank the worst offender across these games.

Also anyone worried how often we are getting beaten over the back? This is a Bolton thing, and hope it gets rectified asap.

Someone said Sandilands killed Kreuzer? MK clearly won that battle and he looks to be in good form heading into Round 1.

Picket played himself into Round 1, Armfield played himself out of it.

Sandilands smashed Kruezer in the ruck but our man had more of the ball around the ground...37 hitouts to 15 is a fair beating in the ruck IMO especially as the Freo man had a decent amount of those hitouts to
advantage....I thought Sandi's hitouts were more effective than MK's possies......surprised to see Murphy had 27 possies, didnt seem that influential...

Reply #238
Sandi will ALWAYS win Hitouts. We won the clearance count by 1.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #239
Sandilands smashed Kruezer in the ruck but our man had more of the ball around the ground...37 hitouts to 15 is a fair beating in the ruck IMO especially as the Freo man had a decent amount of those hitouts to
advantage....I thought Sandi's hitouts were more effective than MK's possies......surprised to see Murphy had 27 possies, didnt seem that influential...
Murphy hasn't been influential because he isn't kicking the ball much. On the weekend he has 17 hb/10 kicks, with only 63% DE. A lot of those handballs are short to guys under pressure, or he turned the ball over.

Given how poor the general skills are, especially the kicking of Kerridge and Curnow, we really need Murphy [and Gibbs] kicking the ball more often and spotting up targets upfield and being creative. He racks up decent numbers, but like Gibbs, often has very limited impact on the game IMO.

Kruz tried his guts out, had 17 possessions and laid 7 tackles [game high]. He is running into some good form, and the only blight on his game was he also threw the ball onto his boot a few times and turned it over. I would love to see him have a big year, because if he plays well we are a much harder side to beat.