Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 1 Post Game Party: Carlton vs Richmond (Read 41239 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 1 Post Game Party: Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #210
They are the dynamic duo that almost always perform their role to little fan fare.

I rate both very highly, but Marchbank has the edge on Plowman. He plays taller and gets across for more intercept marks.

Both are underrated by opposition and carlton fans alike.

At the moment Marchbank lacks a little bit of physicality relative to Plowman. I realise not everyone can be physically intimidating, but it's useful if your taller heavier players are the ones handing out the physical punishment.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #211
I was miffed when Jones made that fantastic spoil on Dusty and didn't knock hammer him in the process.

AFL needs to look out for tunnelling IMO... our blokes had this done to them many times on Thursday night.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #212
At the moment Marchbank lacks a little bit of physicality relative to Plowman. I realise not everyone can be physically intimidating, but it's useful if your taller heavier players are the ones handing out the physical punishment.

Marchbank is not the enforcer type for sure. But he doesn't shy away from anything physical either. He puts his body on the line when required, tackles and smothers like you'd hope. He doesn't go out of his way to intimidate opposition players, but does he need to? He is your more cool, calm and collected type who can be relied upon under pressure.

The more physical, intimidating types play more on the edge and make more mistakes as a result IMO.

Reply #213
Agree re tunnelling, happened more than a few times, including a bizarre one in the forward pocket when Cotchin got a free kick for tunnelling???

Reply #214
Well, Richmonds premiership hangover lasted  for about 12 minutes I reckon, after that they were white hot for the rest of the game. We did well to get the jump on them and then hang on til 3qtr time or a little later.

The Tigers will be a top 4 side again this year, and if they play like they did on Thursday night every week, I reckon 26 points will be 1 of their smaller winning margins too, they are going to be hard to beat.

Our 1st 10-12 minutes was scintillating, and showed what we are capable of when allowed to play offensively.
When our initial intensity dropped off, The Tigers lifted theirs and never took their foot off for the rest of the game.

We will have to learn to keep our intensity for a lot longer, and/or get a lot better at playing tempo footy.

Cripps was immense in this game and put Dusty in the shade, Cripps is a superstar and would probably get a lot more recognition if he played for a different club.

Simmo also played a great game, he made a couple of errors, but without him things would have been a whole lot  worse.

Charlie had a breakout game, with hopefully many more to come, but this game should really boost his confidence.

A top game from Matty Wright too, 5 goals as a small forward is a great reward for the hard working little fella.

also liked what I saw from Garlett, who did not look out of place on the big stage, not did Kennedy until he went down.

SPS had a good 1st qtr, but I thought Fisher was the best of all the younger guys out there. I didn't notice Dow hardly at all, but the experience will be invaluable for him.

Marchbank and Plowman while not perfect are both very reliable in the roles in the back half. 

We had too many players have poor/average games to deserve a win and we will need to lift as a whole as well as a more even performance over 4 qtrs to be a chance to win next week.

Go Blues.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #215
That rubbish free to Riewoldt completely changed the momentum of the game.  One more goal and I reckon the tiges would have been sweating.

He should be done for staging as it is, it was blatant.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #216
Well, Richmonds premiership hangover lasted  for about 12 minutes I reckon, after that they were white hot for the rest of the game. We did well to get the jump on them and then hang on til 3qtr time or a little later.

The Tigers will be a top 4 side again this year, and if they play like they did on Thursday night every week, I reckon 26 points will be 1 of their smaller winning margins too, they are going to be hard to beat.

Our 1st 10-12 minutes was scintillating, and showed what we are capable of when allowed to play offensively.
When our initial intensity dropped off, The Tigers lifted theirs and never took their foot off for the rest of the game.

We will have to learn to keep our intensity for a lot longer, and/or get a lot better at playing tempo footy.

Cripps was immense in this game and put Dusty in the shade, Cripps is a superstar and would probably get a lot more recognition if he played for a different club.

Simmo also played a great game, he made a couple of errors, but without him things would have been a whole lot  worse.

Charlie had a breakout game, with hopefully many more to come, but this game should really boost his confidence.

A top game from Matty Wright too, 5 goals as a small forward is a great reward for the hard working little fella.

also liked what I saw from Garlett, who did not look out of place on the big stage, not did Kennedy until he went down.

SPS had a good 1st qtr, but I thought Fisher was the best of all the younger guys out there. I didn't notice Dow hardly at all, but the experience will be invaluable for him.

Marchbank and Plowman while not perfect are both very reliable in the roles in the back half. 

We had too many players have poor/average games to deserve a win and we will need to lift as a whole as well as a more even performance over 4 qtrs to be a chance to win next week.

Go Blues.

I agree with all of this, well said. I think the bottom line is we need our bottom 6 to be better

Reply #217
That rubbish free to Riewoldt completely changed the momentum of the game.  One more goal and I reckon the tiges would have been sweating.

He should be done for staging as it is, it was blatant.

Agree Jack's a queen of the stage that's for sure.

Not sure if I'm thinking about the same incident, but I saw a definite shift. It was around subsequent errant Daisy decisions. The first free for illegal disposal ended in a goal. He clearly handballed legally  :-\
The second was an excellent low mark not paid. I guess it must have been the deny Daisy quarter  >:D
I heard a similar error was reversed in another game. That said the Tigers were unlucky with the protected zone rule. Dumb not to play to the umps call but unlucky just the same.

As someone said, if that's the difference between the premiers and our young side, we've come along nicely.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #218
Martin and Caddy again showed we lack the physicality we need to stop these types influencing games...too many of our players throw one arm out only when tackling and I actually saw 3 players try and tackle Caddy and he shrugged them off to get the ball away..

Reply #219
Martin and Caddy again showed we lack the physicality we need to stop these types influencing games...too many of our players throw one arm out only when tackling and I actually saw 3 players try and tackle Caddy and he shrugged them off to get the ball away..

I would suggest both Cripps and Kennedy would eat Caddy for breakfast....

Just rotten luck BAM bAM went down so early in the game.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #220

Firstly, can you name any player who can go man on man with Martin on his day?

Secondly, should we consider the flip side, why can't some of our near 200cm type powerhouse icons like Cripps or Casboult shrug off tackling players like that?

I think I've seen Williamson and Macreadie shrug off more players in just a handful of games than Casboult has in a decade! What is it that our club lacks, either in training or attitude that seems to leave us with this shortfall? it cannot be strength training, doesn't Casboult hold some sort of AFL bench press record? So it must be above the shoulders.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #221
Couple of key moments in the 3rd quarter:

1. About 15m mark (remaining). Paddy Wow receives a handball and is clear running into an open goal about 35m out. Sprays it...oobf. Would have been a 10 point lead.

2. About 5m later Weitering has the ball on the left wing (free or a mark...), the dumbo Tigers guy runs too close behind and it's 50m awarded. Weiters should have been about 30-35m out but the ump gives a short 50. Weiters sprays it.

3. Few minutes later. Marchbank gets tackled around the neck, no free. Throw up or whatever. Richmond score... WHEN mARCHbank would have pumped it into our I50.

And by God, how biased are the comme ntators, putrid.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #222
And not one mention of the effect of losing Kennedy (effectively before quarter time) would have on our rotations....

Contrast to the PEDs game last night when Merrett went down, every second comment was on that very topic.

Now for the last quarter,

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #223
Agree re tunnelling, happened more than a few times, including a bizarre one in the forward pocket when Cotchin got a free kick for tunnelling???

That was so blatant yet the ump missed it   >:D  >:D  >:D  >:D  >:D