Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 1 Post Game Party: Carlton vs Richmond (Read 41211 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 1 Post Game Party: Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #225
And not one mention of the effect of losing Kennedy (effectively before quarter time) would have on our rotations....

Contrast to the PEDs game last night when Merrett went down, every second comment was on that very topic.

Now for the last quarter,
This goes to show who is the favourite and who is not. Disgraceful.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #226
This goes to show who is the favourite and who is not. Disgraceful.

Project "Resurrect the Bummers" in full swing!  ::)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #227
Back to the game.

It was a very even contest. Even at the start of the 4th.

We ran out of gas....not surprising in the circumstances - no kennedy, Kreuz down, Dow a bit lost in his first real game....

Anyone who thinks Dusty had a better (or more influential) game than Cripps, well...need I say?

That said, can't fathom why Daisy wasn't paid more attention by someone on our team...

Guys like Lamb and SOJ found it hard to get involved but that happens sometimes. Like others, was a good chance for Bolts to throw Jack in the guts, but alas.

Didn't think Weitering or Murphy were bad at all.

Some of the turnovers we coughed up, nothing the defence could have done....

Portends well for a great season.

Very, very impressed with Cripps, Marchbank, Plow, Garlett (of the young/new guys). Charlie too, of course...

Kennedy too had a real influence before being injured.

Need to win next week!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #228
Project "Resurrect the Bummers" in full swing!  ::)

That will be followed by the magnificent Melbourne charge to the top.
This narrative thing is really starting to become predictable. What a worry.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #229
Back to the game.

We ran out of gas....not surprising in the circumstances - no kennedy, Kreuz down, Dow a bit lost in his first real game....

Anyone who thinks Daisy had a better (or more influential) game than Cripps, well...need I say?

That said, can't fathom why Daisy wasn't paid more attention by someone on our team...

Guys like Lamb and SOJ found it hard to get involved but that happens sometimes. Like others, was a good chance for Bolts to throw Jack in the guts, but alas.

Very, very impressed with Cripps, Marchbank, Plow, Garlett (of the young/new guys). Charlie too, of course...

Need to win next week!

It's amazing how different the game can look when in the absence of initial emotions the replay highlights the stupidity of the commentary team.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #230
Back to the game.

Anyone who thinks Dusty had a better (or more influential) game than Cripps, well...need I say?

Need to win next week!

That's where we should be focused. Clean up those mistakes and put a bit more tempo footy into our game, periodically defend and focus on closing down the opposition. We played into the Tiger's paws a bit by trying to go all out attack for too long. They love the rebound style and are good at it.

Reply #231
Bolts spoke of our need to vary the tempo in response to the flow of the game. An area we need to experience and practice as a new team. That's our first game together following massive list change. The tigers on the other hand have been doing it together for some time. Save the odd addition of a role player. With some match experience and guidance from the older guys, I expect this will come together this year.
Henry Ford.

Reply #232
Bolts spoke of our need to vary the tempo in response to the flow of the game. An area we need to experience and practice as a new team. That's our first game together following massive list change. The tigers on the other hand have been doing it together for some time. Save the odd addition of a role player. With some match experience and guidance from the older guys, I expect this will come together this year.

I think you're right LN - we got a bit of a schooling from the Tiger's game on the value of this for sure.

Reply #233
Back to the game.

Need to win next week!

Dusty has that ability to lift his teammates with a big play...think thats what makes him so dangerous as he actually changes the momentum of a game...Cripps is super consistent but Martin has that game changer gear.....

Reply #234
Dusty has that ability to lift his teammates with a big play...think thats what makes him so dangerous as he actually changes the momentum of a game...Cripps is super consistent but Martin has that game changer gear.....

Agree EB. Martin has just had one of the best seasons ever by any AFL/VFL player. Not sure why we're comparing him to Cripps. Cripps is a clearance machine with good leadership who can drift forward and kick a goal. Dusty is the whole package.

Reply #235
At this stage, even though Cripps is an excellent player, Dusty in my book is far more dangerous and damaging. Dusty has that sheer animal presence that Cripps doesn't and he makes other players think twice when they are near him! A huge advantage in my book.

Reply #236
At this stage, even though Cripps is an excellent player, Dusty in my book is far more dangerous and damaging. Dusty has that sheer animal presence that Cripps doesn't and he makes other players think twice when they are near him! A huge advantage in my book.

Agree..no one wants to tackle him and I feel Caddy is his partner in crime in this area, like to see someone drop Caddy and put him back in his place, he gets away with plenty due
to his physical approach but I dont think he is a great footballer like Dusty is...Caddy just annoys me more when he throws his weight around and we back off...

Reply #237
Stick Dusty in our side and he'd be back with the pack very smartly  :)

Comparing Dusty and Cripps is the quintessential apples and oranges comparison.  Dusty is a forward/midfielder as his running patterns show; half of his time on the ground is spent in the forward 50.  Cripps, for all the talk about him going forward, is a midfielder who excels in extracting the ball at stoppages and outmarking virtually anyone who goes against him.

Dusty has great strength that he uses to advantage and will continue to do so until opposition players learn how to counter his stiff arm.  Cripps is also a very strong player but he is more subtle with his use of strength and prefers to put a step on opponents.

I don't believe the hype about players not wanting to tackle Dusty; Samo would smash him into the ground if he got the opportunity.  It's more about learning how to deal with an unorthodox playing style.  If I was coaching, I'd have a couple of League players as tackling dummies in the week leading up to our next Tigers game.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #238
Stick Dusty in our side and he'd be back with the pack very smartly  :)

Comparing Dusty and Cripps is the quintessential apples and oranges comparison.  Dusty is a forward/midfielder as his running patterns show; half of his time on the ground is spent in the forward 50.  Cripps, for all the talk about him going forward, is a midfielder who excels in extracting the ball at stoppages and outmarking virtually anyone who goes against him.

Dusty has great strength that he uses to advantage and will continue to do so until opposition players learn how to counter his stiff arm.  Cripps is also a very strong player but he is more subtle with his use of strength and prefers to put a step on opponents.

I don't believe the hype about players not wanting to tackle Dusty; Samo would smash him into the ground if he got the opportunity.  It's more about learning how to deal with an unorthodox playing style.  If I was coaching, I'd have a couple of League players as tackling dummies in the week leading up to our next Tigers game.

As I said Dusty has an animal presence that I don't currently see in any of our guys, Cripps included, and it's very powerful, almost intimidating. And btw, I actually saw Dusty sweep past Samo with majestic ease without using the fend off. I was quite taken aback. I agree, we do need to work on our tackling, Dusty or no Dusty.

Reply #239
@DJC "Samo would smash him into the ground if he got the opportunity"

As Samo smashed Caddy >:D
Unfortunately he got done for slinging if I recall correctly.
One thing's for sure, Samo showed no fear of Dusty. I think we've got Gibbs to thank for that.... remember when Gibbs backed away from the thundering Dusty, encouraging young Samo to "go get him son"

Samo has an unorthodox box of tricks himself. Just a matter of time before he smashes him IMO  ;D
Henry Ford.