Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 7: Carlton vs. North Melbourne (Read 27029 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 7: Carlton vs. North Melbourne

Reply #165
He simply does NOT chase.
He jogs along trying to look interested.
He jogs off the contest continuously trying to look like he cares, but not ever getting close enough to impact it.

He gets enough outside ball to look like he is important but actually does SFA.
These traits are broader than Murphy though.
We have had many players performing with insufficient intensity that leads to a lack of pressure on the opposition.
It’s a systemic issue that to me suggests we need some form of change in our coaching panel. If not Bolton then others must go.
You can already see the rot setting in with Dow, O’Brien, Cuningham and SPS who all have above average speed but lack the killer instinct to use it to hunt down the opposition ball carrier and hit them with bone crunching tackles.

Reply #166
These traits are broader than Murphy though.
We have had many players performing with insufficient intensity that leads to a lack of pressure on the opposition.
It’s a systemic issue that to me suggests we need some form of change in our coaching panel. If not Bolton then others must go.
You can already see the rot setting in with Dow, O’Brien, Cuningham and SPS who all have above average speed but lack the killer instinct to use it to hunt down the opposition ball carrier and hit them with bone crunching tackles.

But where do you think they learn the behaviour from Barbs?

Senior players are responsible for setting standard like these.
I have seen Murphy do this for years, as did Gibbs.
Then some clowns would say Judd doesn't chase after he just won his 15th contested possession, ala P Cripps.

If you are an outside player, you need to tackle and apply pressure and run hard both ways.

Jogging along a wing and getting a few cheapies every  week doesn't cut it.

Reply #167

Then some clowns would say Judd doesn't chase after he just won his 15th contested possession, ala P Cripps.

If you are an outside player, you need to tackle and apply pressure and run hard both ways.

Why is it that astute observers on here notice this, but successive coaches do not ? And if coaches do notice it, why has one coach after another let him get away with it ?

Reply #170
Well, everyone has had the chance to rant and rave, but to be frank, this was no big surprise - even the bookies had Norf at $1.45 before the game, so the writing was on the wall.

I am not making excuses, but do the sums

- we had 2 weeks of being up and about and some of the young guys clearly got ahead of themselves.
- we lost 4  experienced players to injury - in particular, with no Newman and Simmo, the back six lost all sense of direction, no Kreuzer stuffed up the centre square, and McGovern's big body was a loss. We do not have enough experience and size in the side to lose that much in one hit.  With the ins, Stocker/Williamson were not ready, Phillips is a bit of a doofus, and Charlie is as cold as an iceberg right at the moment
- Norf were always going to come out breathing fire - and on the back of a good last quarter against Port last week, they had discovered some mojo.
- Brad Scott planned perfectly - he specifically targeted Cripps with Ziebell/Cunnington, and with no other big bodies giving him a chop out, he was blanketed
- He also sat Todd Goldstein on the wings in front of the leads from big Harry so we could never get past the wing easily, which led to a string of horrible turnovers as the wobbly defenders looked for other escape routes

However, just like after the shocker on the Gold Coast, I am predicting a much improved effort this week. 

That is how this season is panning out for all teams - if you stroll onto the ground thinking it's going to be easy, you will get blown away.

No point losing faith now - we have to just re-focus on the next contest.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #171
Well, everyone has had the chance to rant and rave, but to be frank, this was no big surprise - even the bookies had Norf at $1.45 before the game, so the writing was on the wall.

- we had 2 weeks of being up and about and some of the young guys clearly got ahead of themselves.
- we lost 4  experienced players to injury - in particular, with no Newman and Simmo, the back six lost all sense of direction, no Kreuzer stuffed up the centre square, and McGovern's big body was a loss. We do not have enough experience and size in the side to lose that much in one hit.  With the ins, Stocker/Williamson were not ready, Phillips is a bit of a doofus, and Charlie is as cold as an iceberg right at the moment
- Norf were always going to come out breathing fire - and on the back of a good last quarter against Port last week, they had discovered some mojo.
- Brad Scott planned perfectly - he specifically targeted Cripps with Ziebell/Cunnington, and with no other big bodies giving him a chop out, he was blanketed
- He also sat Todd Goldstein on the wings in front of the leads from big Harry so we could never get past the wing easily, which led to a string of horrible turnovers as the wobbly defenders looked for other escape routes

However, just like after the shocker on the Gold Coast, I am predicting a much improved effort this week. 

That is how this season is panning out for all teams - if you stroll onto the ground thinking it's going to be easy, you will get blown away.

You're only chirpy because Liverpool won  ;)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #172
You're only chirpy because Liverpool won  ;)
That helps - just need Leicester to do the business now.......
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #173

I’m not saying Murphy is innocent in this. I’m saying he is the symptom. Our problem is coaching that let him and now the new cohort get away with it.

Reply #174

Nothing like someone making sense after a predictable loss ????

My daughter celebrated a significant birthday on Sunday at a winery near Bannockburn (with no mobile reception) and I was blissfully unaware of the scores.  I had intended to watch the replay, regardless of the result, but I think that I’ll give up on that idea ????
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #175
Nothing like someone making sense after a predictable loss ????

My daughter celebrated a significant birthday on Sunday at a winery near Bannockburn (with no mobile reception) and I was blissfully unaware of the scores.  I had intended to watch the replay, regardless of the result, but I think that I’ll give up on that idea ????

Not sure how it can be a predictable loss vs the bottom team who have very little in the way of star power and have been woeful all year...we got smashed by 10 goals...didnt read or hear anyone
predict that.Any team can lose to another and no game is a sure thing but 10 goals is another story. You have to have consequences if you are serious about progressing as a club when you lose in the manner we did.
Thats not acceptable after a 4 year rebuild, you have to have standards and a line in the sand.

Reply #176
Not sure how it can be a predictable loss vs the bottom team who have very little in the way of star power and have been woeful all year...we got smashed by 10 goals...didnt read or hear anyone
predict that.Any team can lose to another and no game is a sure thing but 10 goals is another story. You have to have consequences if you are serious about progressing as a club when you lose in the manner we did.
Thats not acceptable after a 4 year rebuild, you have to have standards and a line in the sand.

???? ???? ????

Reply #177

It's a simple equation - let's forgot the last 4 years.

Looking forward - do you think Bolton is best placed to win  a FLAG for the Blues?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #178
It's a simple equation - let's forgot the last 4 years.

Looking forward - do you think Bolton is best placed to win  a FLAG for the Blues?

Not at the minute, he probably has about 4-6 games to change the clubs fortunes around or there will be feelers put out to other potential suitors(if you can find any).
Its a win/loss business at the end of the day and while rebuilds take time what we saw on Sunday was a regression to the bad old days and thats not on.
We cant keep losing and we cannot tolerate large noncompetitive losses, I'm just sick of losing, I really thought we would beat North and to lose like we did
is very disheartening after all the promises and BS we have been fed about green shoots, progression etc.
I think another coach who was more tactically aware and had a better team in the box could provide better results and while I wouldnt sack Bolton in the middle of
a season I would consider replacing him at seasons end if things dont improve greatly.

Reply #179
Post of the Year.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?