Skip to main content
Topic: JLT game 3 (Read 62100 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: JLT game 3

Reply #210
Well, thank you for clarifying that. I can honestly say I never would have got that impression from reading your posts.

The impression that you get is often based on your own opinions and expectations.

Ask anyone who has been around this site long enough and they will know my distaste for Pagan.
Doubt anyone would say the same about Ratten.
Most people opinions are incorrect when it comes to my feelings on Malthouse too.

Point is. Don't assume. Ask.

FWIW, Bolton has been nothing but encouraging so far. I'm backing him in for the long haul. I am not surprised by the (lack of) performance of the team thus far in the JLT series and am in no way calling for his head.
I am slightly disappointed with the (lack of) effort that has been put in thus far, but in all honesty, it isn't all that different from the tail end of last season. The same part of the season that most people seem to ignore when talking about expectations for this year.

Having said that, Bolton still has a few hoops to jump through and is still largely unproven.

We'll see how different the regular season is compared to practice matches and it'll give a bit of an insight into what to expect.

Reply #211
All I am saying is lets draw a line in the sand and move on.
54% of the List is BBs
24% is MMs
15% is Rattens
7% in DPs
Majority of the list is BB's, will be swayed even more his way after this year. Thats enough for me to look fwd instead of back and not hijack every thread with same BS.

One bad apple can spoil the entire barrel.

If we don't have players in it for the team first, then they will spoil some of the others.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #212
The impression that you get is often based on your own opinions and expectations.

Ask anyone who has been around this site long enough and they will know my distaste for Pagan.
Doubt anyone would say the same about Ratten.
Most people opinions are incorrect when it comes to my feelings on Malthouse too.

Point is. Don't assume. Ask.

FWIW, Bolton has been nothing but encouraging so far. I'm backing him in for the long haul. I am not surprised by the (lack of) performance of the team thus far in the JLT series and am in no way calling for his head.
I am slightly disappointed with the (lack of) effort that has been put in thus far, but in all honesty, it isn't all that different from the tail end of last season. The same part of the season that most people seem to ignore when talking about expectations for this year.

Having said that, Bolton still has a few hoops to jump through and is still largely unproven.

We'll see how different the regular season is compared to practice matches and it'll give a bit of an insight into what to expect.

The confusion arises because you've been far too strident and vehement in your pro Mick comments - you need to be more balanced, like me. 

Reply #213
One bad apple can spoil the entire barrel.

If we don't have players in it for the team first, then they will spoil some of the others.

I think players can tolerate a small amount of me me me attitude if they see reward for effort. You can have a great team first player (e.g. Cas or Curnow E), but those turnovers and missed goals must take their toll after a while.

It depends on the composition of the team - some blokes are less resilient and more easily led astray than others.  If by good chance you have a team of mostly resilient types, they could reap the benefits of a talented and slightly selfish player, because they work work around his deficiencies.

A lot of those elite talented players (Fev, Fyfe, Carey etc.) do have a certain arrogance and me first nature - what is super rare are the Judd and Doull types, terrific players that are also team first.

Reply #214
The confusion arises because you've been far too strident and vehement in your pro Mick comments - you need to be more balanced, like me.

Last time.

'Pro mick' or 'anti-others'?

Your take on that depends on your point of view.
MBB understands a lot of what i say because he sees it for what it is. Not so much pro-mick, but a lot of $h!t everywhere else.

Reply #215
I think players can tolerate a small amount of me me me attitude if they see reward for effort. You can have a great team first player (e.g. Cas or Curnow E), but those turnovers and missed goals must take their toll after a while.

It depends on the composition of the team - some blokes are less resilient and more easily led astray than others.  If by good chance you have a team of mostly resilient types, they could reap the benefits of a talented and slightly selfish player, because they work work around his deficiencies.

A lot of those elite talented players (Fev, Fyfe, Carey etc.) do have a certain arrogance and me first nature - what is super rare are the Judd and Doull types, terrific players that are also team first.

Only a strong team ethos can sort out the me first players.

They need to join it.

We are the opposite.   due to average quality being so low, any half talent with a bad attitude plays for themselves.

Flip it around and you see us of the mid 2000's and there is no end to it until you shock the culture.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #216
Last time.

MBB understands a lot of what i say because he sees it for what it is. Not so much pro-mick, but a lot of $h!t everywhere else.

Dude, everybody thinks they see it for what it is, not just you.

Reply #217
Last time.

So you're both delusional ;)

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #218
Strong captain. Strong captain. Strong captain. C:-)

Reply #219
Dude, everybody thinks they see it for what it is, not just you.

Cmon man, focus.

I'm saying you interpreting MY posts is based on your views.
I know the intention behind them because they are MY posts. If you misunderstand them then that is on you. Ala your Ratten comments before.

Reply #220

I think most folk are very aware of the poor finish to last year when they speak of improvement this year.
But we look back to some of the early games and see the effort was there.
Is it not reasonable to expect that rather than dropping off this season that effort can be sustained a little longer.
Is it not reasonable to believe that our forward line will improve on last year's dismal efforts.
Is it not reasonable to believe that our players further down the field can provide our forwards with more scoring opportunities.

The big barrier to our ladder and win/loss improvement will be if the teams below us improve at a faster rate and not enough sides drop off.

Reply #221
I think most folk are very aware of the poor finish to last year when they speak of improvement this year.
But we look back to some of the early games and see the effort was there.
Is it not reasonable to expect that rather than dropping off this season that effort can be sustained a little longer.
Is it not reasonable to believe that our forward line will improve on last year's dismal efforts.
Is it not reasonable to believe that our players further down the field can provide our forwards with more scoring opportunities.

The big barrier to our ladder and win/loss improvement will be if the teams below us improve at a faster rate and not enough sides drop off.

Possible? Yes.
Reasonable? Maybe.

You can look back to early games whenever we've had a coaching change in the past and seen the effort was there. Then there is always/eventually a drop off in effort and then the coach is sacked.
Now i'm not expected our coach to be sacked.
But it doesn't necessarily follow that we will automatically get better this year.

Of course from our JLT matches, others around us are clearly ahead of us in the early stages.

Reply #222
Possible? Yes.
Reasonable? Maybe.

You can look back to early games whenever we've had a coaching change in the past and seen the effort was there. Then there is always/eventually a drop off in effort and then the coach is sacked.
Now i'm not expected our coach to be sacked.
But it doesn't necessarily follow that we will automatically get better this year.

Of course from our JLT matches, others around us are clearly ahead of us in the early stages.

I wouldn't take much notice of the second JLT game...we were giving a few folk a farewell game.
The third one was much better but we still had a few going at less than 100%

Let's have a look at it after about 5 rounds and I think we'll have a good idea about how we're tracking.

Reply #223
Cmon man, focus.

I'm saying you interpreting MY posts is based on your views.
I know the intention behind them because they are MY posts. If you misunderstand them then that is on you. Ala your Ratten comments before.

My powers of focusing are more than adequate, thanks for asking.

It's a shame that your support for Ratts waned right at the very time it was most needed.

I can understand certain folks believing a change was in order - I can understand people seeing cultural problems etc. But the change needed was internal, not external. More support for the incumbent coach, a good analysis of what was needed, what went wrong etc. And back him in for 2013. Then, if that season was a flop, by all means, move on. Momentum is a critical thing in situations like this. The timing of the change was completely wrong. I would've been 100% supportive of a change at the end of 2013, if it was justified.

The club learned nothing from the Britts/Pagan changeover, and we are all paying the price now.

I don't buy the rookie coach argument - Clarkson, Bomber, Bevo were all rookie coaches, who, luckily for them, ended up at clubs with more brains and more coglioni than ours.

Reply #224
could we just talk about the footy please!
Finals, then 4 in a row!